6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FORD Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 02:09 PM
barkweld
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FORD Warranty

Can FORD void my warranty because I have a Banks system in my truck ? HELP!

Old 11-15-2004, 02:15 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford won't "void" a warranty. They might deny a claim for something that could be caused by the Banks system. If you had a catastrophic failure with the engine, when the dealer put in a claim with Ford for a new engine or major expensive repairs, Ford will send out a technical rep who will look at your truck. If they see evidence of a chip or a device that could cause the failure, they will probably deny the claim. According to the service manager at the dealer I use, Ford has been tightening down on these types of claims.

Don't get buffaloed by the Magnussen-Moss act that they will throw at you. All it says is that the manufacturer cannot deny warranty by using parts that meet or exceed manufacturers specifications.

Old 11-15-2004, 02:54 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Steve is dead-on accurate with that statement...

I think that statement needs to be placed somewhere in the Tech folder just for future reference

Old 11-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Diesel Man
Junior User
I read on the Duramax forum about some poor guy that spent thousands on a Banks power upgrade system. Banks assured him it was all A-OK with the GM warranty but when his engine sucked a valve and blew, GM denied his warranty claim, again and again. When he went back to Banks they told him "we don't warranty the engine, thats between you and the manufacturer!" He wound up stuck with a $23K repair bill for a new engine!
I'd be VERY carefull about using any after market performance products.

Old 11-19-2004, 01:01 PM
barkweld
Junior User
OK....Everyone I just got through with the DSB people and they say it is going to take ten days before I have an answer. I guess I am just going to have to wait. Everyone pray for me I am going to need it .

Old 11-19-2004, 01:42 PM
bajaron
Senior User
Originally Posted by barkweld
OK....Everyone I just got through with the DSB people and they say it is going to take ten days before I have an answer. I guess I am just going to have to wait. Everyone pray for me I am going to need it .
I Hope the DSB goes in your favor

Ron W

Old 11-19-2004, 01:52 PM
jasfaa
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel Man
I read on the Duramax forum about some poor guy that spent thousands on a Banks power upgrade system. Banks assured him it was all A-OK with the GM warranty but when his engine sucked a valve and blew, GM denied his warranty claim, again and again. When he went back to Banks they told him "we don't warranty the engine, thats between you and the manufacturer!" He wound up stuck with a $23K repair bill for a new engine!
I'd be VERY carefull about using any after market performance products.
Banks usually will work with you to help against a denied claim. I just asked a friend of mine who happens to be a Banks dealer and he stated they have people assigned to work on issues just like this. He also went to the Banks facility to be "certified" to install their stuff. There is probably more to the Duramax story than you are telling or the guy was an idiot about his approach to the dealer and to Banks.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:40 AM
barkweld
Junior User
Just an update: I got my DSB letter in the mail and they are wanting FORD to continue to work on it. Yeah...............Work on it. I am still having injector problems and I am still loosing coolant. They think I might have an EGR valve cooler problem that is causing the coolant loss. So after new head gaskets ,new heads one new injector I am still driving this thing. I must be a diehard FORD fanatic.I guess I am going to have to look into a Lemon Law attorney. That was the last thing i wanted to do. Here is a list of everything that has gone WRONG.

1. #8 injector bad filled crankcase with diesel.
2. Door handles keep falling out.
3. 4x4 stopped working seal out out of warranty
4. ABS light on seal out out of warranty.
5. hydraboost out out of warranty. $350.00 out of my pocket
6. Coolant smell Ford has worked on it three times so far. Still leaking coolant.
7. Fan clutch pulley broke off three days after they replaced the heads and gaskets.
8. Filed DSB
9. FORD will not work on truck until they hear from the Board.
10. FORD tech drove truck and told service rep (truck is a DOG) needs injectorsand coolant smell is back.
11. Waiting on service rep to let me know when they can work on it.
12. This truck is costing me about $300.00 a day for being down. It has been dowy for a total of 41 days so far.
13. And last but not least rental car bills and deductibles to the tune of over $500.00.
Am I being patient or what ?

Old 11-29-2004, 12:17 PM
thedarkarcher
New User
So did they attribute the problems to the banks system. It doesn't sound like it caused the problem. Do you race the truck?

Old 11-29-2004, 01:14 PM
barkweld
Junior User
They don`t know what the problem is. I think the dealer is tired of looking at it. Something has been said about the 4 in exhaust. They seem to think it is causing the coolant smell, Go Figure. NO I do not race my truck. Just like to have it preform the way FORD designed it to. And thats not happening.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:59 PM
thedarkarcher
New User
I am curious because I have the same truck and the same mods...I haven't had any issues....(knock on wood). Please update this thread with the outcome because if I have to I will revert to stock.

Old 11-29-2004, 02:45 PM
my04beast
Junior User
Unhappy I Have the Same Problem

Barkweld,

I am in the midst of a similar problem. i have the common 6.0 surge/rough idle/cutting off problem. My truck has been in the shop 6 times--41 days total for the same problem. The truck cannot be fixed and now Ford Motor Company claims that the Banks six-gun bundle is causing pre-mature failure of the EGR valve (another known Ford problem). Banks has been absolutely NO help and will not even return my calls for help. They talk a mean game when you are buying, even going as far to say that they will back up any issues with their product. Well, it just aint so! Not only are they saying this is not their issue, their local dealer (all their authorized dealers) are in no way responsible for warranty issues. This means you have to fight with Banks directly and remove parts and send back to Gale Banks for testing IF you can get them to issue an RMA! I found this out today!

If I can get my truck replaced under the VA lemon law, I WILL NOT install another Banks product, just for the way I have been treated... whether it's their problem or Ford's matters not at this point. When push comes to shove, they forget all that money you the customer spent on their product and all those sales promises (lies) they told to get you to write that big check!

Now I hope that Ford will not let me down and eventually take responsibility for my problem. If not, I guess a judge will end up deciding and 22 years of my loyalty to Ford will be gone.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:21 PM
tn mac
Posting Guru
aLL these problems are why it is a mistake to mod a 6.0 your just giving ford a way out and they will blame it all on the aftermarket parts. the bottom line is there are just to many sensors and electronics on these engines,and ford doesnt have a clue. and to make matters worse they havent got enough techs trained on the 6.0 which makes even worse.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:35 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tn mac aLL these problems are why it is a mistake to mod a 6.0 your just giving ford a way out and they will blame it all on the aftermarket parts. the bottom line is there are just to many sensors and electronics on these engines,and ford doesnt have a clue. and to make matters worse they havent got enough techs trained on the 6.0 which makes even worse.
You have gone off the edge. Too many sensors? ( and yes it is too and not to). The sensors and electronics are what makes this engine do what it does. And it does it well. The people that come to this site are a minority. I will go as far to say that the dealers techs are not taking care of the problems that some people are reporting. The service manuals are clear on the trouble shooting for problems like my04beast are reporting. But, with those problems, then add a bunch of modifications doesn't make a lot of sense to expect to trouble shoot it after you have modified it.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:07 PM
mrxlh
Postmaster
SB you would be correct in half of your statement. It does infact throw the techs a curve ball when trying to troubleshoot a modified truck. This being said most of us owners modifing their trucks, are doing so to try to get what we payed Ford 40,000 dollars to do in the first place. If the motor company would put 10% of the effort to fixing the known problems, rather than denying warranty claims, and DSB's (IE pilot injection, injector failures, sensor failures, turbo hose failures, FICM failures, HFCM failures, bedplate leaks, oil level issues, coolant leaks, and fuel mileage issues), we would not have to mod our trucks. I know that the people here posting on this website only represent a fraction of the trucks ford has on the market, but none the less, they are predictably redundant. Ryan

Quick Reply: FORD Warranty