2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My F150 is being painted for the 5th time, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2004, 05:28 PM
BLiTzNicK
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My F150 is being painted for the 5th time, now what?

My truck has been painted 4 times already for a spot that was the size of my thumb on the passenger bed side. Everytime I have gone to pick it up, something was wrong with it, clear coat on the bumper, air bubbles under the decal, fisheyed paint, and now a softball sized dent (where the thumb sized spot was), not to mention that the two tone paint isn't matched smooth, and also the bedside is 3 shades of black! The dealer doesn't paint the trucks, but sends them off. I have offered to give them one more shot at it since they were willing to pay a little extra to send it to someone else. If my truck comes back looking like crap, what can I do?

Old 11-14-2004, 05:50 PM
cbsaf
Senior User
What was the first thumb sized spot like? A dent, scratch, haze, dull spot? Did you put it there or did it happen in a parking lot? Did you buy it that way? If it bothers you that bad trade it in or sell it and get another or have them take it to whomever you want to paint it. If it comes back from the new place the same way maybe your just paranoid and looking for a problem. I don't mean it in a bad way some times things like that can just drive you crazy.

Last edited by cbsaf; 11-14-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 07:01 PM
chains
Junior User
I had a problem with the paint on my truck when new. It's two-tone and there was some of the primary paint shining through the darker paint. It was very obvious since my colors are yellow and grey. I was very nervous about the dealer painting this part since it probably would not be the same as original. I went to pick it up and it was awful ( just as I imagined). Fortunately, the second time worked out much better. I know what you're going through. I can only hope that the fifth time will be your last. Best of luck!

Old 11-16-2004, 06:55 PM
BLiTzNicK
New User
The problem came from the factory. There is a thumb sized hole in the bedside. Water and dirt finally made the paint bubble outward, revealing the problem. It's nothing I did, and it was impossible to see when I purchased the truck.

Must have been made on a Friday.

Old 11-18-2004, 05:30 AM
lardman
Elder User
How old is the truck? Where was the hole located on the bed side? What kind of truck do you have? RCAB, SCAB, SCREW?

Old 11-18-2004, 12:54 PM
mountainman
Senior User
ya get it painted by a good body shop and paint it pink. pink is in,, u will look like a avon salesman.

Old 11-18-2004, 01:30 PM
Truckasaurus
Senior User
If it were my truck, I would try and speak to the manager/owner and try to get them to agree that I can use my body shop (since I know reputable ones) and have them cover the cost. That way you can take it up directly with the monkies doing the painting if it goes wrong again and not deal with the middle man (dealer in this case).

T

Old 11-26-2004, 08:25 PM
BLiTzNicK
New User
Here's an update and an answer to some of your questions.

The truck is a scab, and the hole is located a few inches in front of the passenger side tail light. The spot was centered on the bed. I bought the truck in February, and it had 17000 miles on it when I last saw it. It wasn't the little spot that bothered me, but the fact that my bed was going to eventually rust through.

The truck is STILL in the shop, and has been for all but 2 weeks since October 4. I have had an 99 F150 from the dealer since the early part of November. The truck is supposed to be finished on Monday, we'll see.

I do know that this is the last chance they have to fix it. It either looks brand new, or I'm getting a new truck, I sick and tired of being nice about it.

Oh, and mountainman, if they have to take it back, I'll give you their address and you can go do whatever you want with it!

Old 11-29-2004, 05:34 AM
lardman
Elder User
There is a large butyl patch in that area on both sides of the truck box outer (I think you can see it through the wheel well). The patch may have not taken to the metal during curing and water has been trapped behind it causing it to rust through. In addition to fixing your problem, the patch should be removed, a rust inhibitor applied, and the area should be repainted. Might want to have them do it to both sides. Haven't seen a TSB on it yet.

Old 11-29-2004, 08:53 PM
BLiTzNicK
New User
Yeah, I thought I mentioned the pad, but must have left it out. That's exactly what caused the problem. Can you believe it? A piece of freaking padding!!

They hadn't even removed it the first 4 times, and I let them know about it. I didn't get the chance to call today, but drove by after they were closed. My truck wasn't there.

By the way, isn't the padding just sound deadning material?

Old 11-30-2004, 05:20 AM
lardman
Elder User
Originally Posted by BLiTzNicK
By the way, isn't the padding just sound deadning material?
The pad is not for sound deadening, it is used to prevent vibration of the panel. Like we discussed several times before, the panels on vehicles now-a-days are so flat to improve gas mileage, etc. that they are not stiff. So they will attach these pads to prevent the panel from fluttering when you go down the road. Keep us posted!

Old 11-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Could try and get them to order a pre-painted bed from the factory. Since the body putty didn't set right in one area you most likely will have problems all over, they don't hand clean each area before puttying. The bed is either dipped or spray cleaned. PS The bed may not match exactly either, as temperature and humidity at spray times can make minor changes to the paint color.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:12 PM
BLiTzNicK
New User
Thanks lardman, for the explanation of the padding.

The truck is still not back. I called today, and since "my service advisor" was gone, they couldn't tell me anything. I am ****ed!! I just wish I could get out from under the loan, and forget the whole thing ever happened. I'm patient, but 2 freaking months, and over $1200 in truck payments, and I'm driving a 99' beater 2wd!!

They told me that Ford didn't ship prepainted parts, and that they'd only ship the bed in pieces anyway. Any truth to that?

Old 11-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Aftrmidnite
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Have a friend and his 2001 tailgate wasn't welded along an edge, he compared it to mine. The replacement was sent out of the factory fully assembled, lock was even correct, and painted. Also it seems I remember it being posted the Hoods are shipped already painted. The 4 X 4 wheel molding is shipped already painted.

Old 11-30-2004, 05:40 PM
BLiTzNicK
New User
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.