Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2004, 05:20 PM
Junior User

JICASE is starting off with a positive reputation.
swapping 4 cylinders

My uncle has a 1986 ranger with a bad 4 cylinder and a good 5 speed. I can get a good 4 cylinder out of a 83 ranger, Will this enigne fit? Will I be able to use my 5 speed or will it not bolt up? I am thinking the 86 is FI and I know the 83 is carbed, so should I leave it carbed or will the intake fit the older engine? Any help would be aprreciated. THanks Jake
Old 11-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Senior User

hotrodfeguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would use all the FI stuff since you have the pute(everything)onbord already.If possible I would replace the rings on the replacement engine,and just use the shortblock.What is wrong with the engine that is in there?
Old 11-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Junior User

JICASE is starting off with a positive reputation.
The engine that is currently in the truck needs the head redone the vavle seals and guides are shot, along with the rings. The replacement engine is in good shape, the guy that it belongs to overhauled it and then wrecked his truck. I know that the 83 is the "small" 4 cylinder so is it a 2.0-2.1-2.2 or what? I am pretty sure the one in the 86 is a 2.3. Will the FI stuff still fit the smaller engine. I assume the diplacement differenece is in the bore with the block being the same? Is this swap going to be a direct bolt in? I would think that is should only take about 8 hours or less to do. Thanks Jake
Old 11-16-2004, 12:52 PM
Junior User

tweaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
i think almost all of the 4 cyl fords are 2.3 from like 76 an up, pintos..cugars...thunderbirds....mustangs....capri s.....all those....i would look for a turbo 2.3 in a junk yard....make sure it's fresh, so nobody has screwed with it...

keep in mind...turbos are worth there weight in gold, so they go fast,

but yes, most of the 2.3's are inter changeable, from 78-92 or so, just use all your intake and exhaust manifolds, and you should be fine
Old 11-16-2004, 06:29 PM
Senior User

hotrodfeguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
The 83 had 2.0 and 2.3 you wuld have to look on the Smog sticker on the Valve cover or on the radiator support or the Vin.If its in that good of shape I would just blot the whole thing in carb and all.But hold on to your FI stuf so you have the option to change over.Doesnt cost ya anything to keep it.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:29 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines