Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2004, 10:34 PM
New User

rhody.ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
2.3 wont start

Hey, this is my first post here on FTE but I've been reading the great posts and they've helped me out. I am having a problem with my 97 2.3 4 cyl Ranger though. The problem is when I go to start it, it turns over but doesnt start. I pump the gas but it just doesnt start, then 30 min later it starts. I cant figure this out. I just had an oil change, the air filter replaced, and the battery replaced. It has happend three times. One mechanic said it seemed like it was the fuel injectors, pump, or filter, it just doesnt seem like the engine is getting any gas. He recomended a full tune up. Besides the above work I bought a new PCV, fuel filter, and some fuel injector cleaner. I havent replaced these because I just bought them the other day and was planning on doing it tomorrow. I hasnt been to long since the last time this happend. any ideas as to what this could be?
Old 11-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Freshman User

fonz is starting off with a positive reputation.
i would check to see if you have fuel pressure. there is a shrader valve on the fuel rail. the pump should kick on and build pressure before when you first turn the key.if no pressure is present the may br pump, relay, igniton swicth and so on. figure out what you are missing and go from there.
Old 11-21-2004, 07:43 PM
New User

rhody.ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well as of my last post I replaced the fuel filter, ran through a 1/2 of a tank with the fuel injector cleaner in it and replaced the PCV valve. I havent had a problem since and the old fuel filter definetly needed replaceing. It has dirt and sand in it. What I'm noticing now is that even though it starts it feels "muddy." The engine doesn't fire up right away, almost like its fighting, or maybe drowning to get started. Sounds like ignition, spark plugs probably because I dont know the last time they were changed. Im going to go ahead and do that and maybe replace the wires and coils too. Does anyone know the general amount of time that coils last for? I have 65,100 miles and Ive read wires should be changed after 60,000 miles but nothing on coils. Ill will post an update if there is another problem but thanks for your help. Nick
Old 11-21-2004, 09:34 PM
Freshman User

fonz is starting off with a positive reputation.
knock on wood i have not replaced my coil as of 253,000 on a 1989 engine
Old 12-27-2004, 12:17 PM
Junior User

Ol Rudy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have seen a lot of posts discussing the "Idle Air Control Valve" and just removed one from neighbor's 96 2.3 for a check and clean (Mn winter ...temp had warmed to 12 above). About 4 inches long and sits atop the intake. Watch the two little bolts...use some WD40 or similiar as they are real metal going into cast aluminum and are likely "stuck". Use anti-sieze with reassembly.

You may also be having problems with contacts on square relays...get your book out and find em...do the computer tech trick and unplug replug all for good contact.
Old 12-27-2004, 12:17 PM