New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Start on 4.6L 2000 Expedition

Engine begins missing on start up, felt like more than one cylinder
Seemed to resolved itself in a few miles
Next start up same thing but no change this time. ck eng light comes on
No start the next attempt.
Found codes P0174,P0171,P0300,P301,P0304,P0305
Check for loose vac conections, replaced fuel filter (it was totally clogged)
Verified fuel pump operation cycling the pump with the ign switch with filter off
Found fuel pressure at schrader at intake
Replaced MAF sensor
Seems to fire when cranking, but falls off.

PLugs replaced about 10K ago
COP #5 replaced 5k ago

What should I check that is related and unrelated

Old 11-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Roland Donnell
New User
Problem resolved. see nail biting story

When you've got time I guess you can fix anything

It just didn't seem like it was getting fuel so I pulled back the air induction inlet and squirted some fuel inside the throttle body. Engine started and ran for few seconds. After the the third try the engine caught and ran missing badly. I let it run in this condition hoping to capture a new set of codes but instead used the time to alternately disconnect the low voltage COP leads to see if I could identify the dead cylinders. In the 10 minutes or so while I was doing this (without much results) the engine began to miss less until smooth in about 15 minutes. Took it on the road and it ran great. Several restarts with normal start up.
My conclusion: Air in the plumbing of the injection system that was finally displaced with fuel. I know air was introduced when fuel drained from the fuel lines when the filter was changed, but was probably made worse when engine stopped occured with a totally fouled fuel filter. (In my garage if you can believe that)

Next Time - Verify pressure (not just fuel flow) and I guess bleed the air off through the schrader at the intake by some hose you can connect to capture the run off. Cycle the ignition switch (and fuel pump) from off to on several times to purge the air.

Change your fuel filter at less than 100K mile intervals. Its easy to do on this type so no excuses.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Rosati
Postmaster
Aren't you glad we helped? Now cook up some brisket and taters and we'll be over to collect!
Glad to hear you found the problem. Sometimes we get lucky.