How fast is a V10?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 01:04 PM
SOCOM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How fast is a V10?

Hey guys!

I've been planning my dream truck for a while, and it's come down to something single cab, 4x4, and stickshift with the most powerful engine that truck offers. Needless to say, that narrows my options down a LOT!!

I know that 362 ponies are going to move whatever they are put into, but I just want to know both on a comparative basis and on any actual 1/4 mile runs anyone may have done about how fast the V10 SD is.

Yes, this truck is not made to race. I'm aware of that fact. I'm not looking for a race truck, just something that will move with a purpose.

Thanks,
Greg

Old 11-12-2004, 03:05 PM
vibetech1
New User
Greg-V-10

Hey Greg. I picked up my 2001 F250 Crew Cab V-10 4:30 gears a couple of years ago and I love it. The power stock was great. I added a Super Chip and gained another 30 HP as well as firmed up the shifting. I really enjoy driving it. The down side 10 to 13 mpg. To me its worth it. Steve.

Old 11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Greg/SOCOM

Fast is limited by the tires and Factory speed limiter to 92~96mph. Red line and the rev limiter is set +/- 250rpm of 5000rpm but the motor is speced to spin around 6K before bad things happen.

For 6800~7500lbs the acceleration will almost always make you grin as even with the relativly tall 3.73:1 gears these things move out swiftly ahead of the gang at the light. Because you said 362 HP you are refering to the 2005 3valve V10 and mine is very stout and nimble. But then again I was super impressed wiht my 2001 V10 at 310HP.

Now if your looking for ultimate upgradeability then the V10 may not be your cup of tea. I think Ford has eeked out most all the hidden ponies there are. The PSD on the other hand can be increased in both HP and torque by a significant amount with aftermarket goodies and they are no slow truck from the get go. So buck for buck the diesel is much more prone to being put on steroids than the V10. Not to say the V10 can't be improved but the %gain per dollar is better with the PSD.

Either way the bone stock PSD and V10 SuperDuty trucks are pretty fast. And to this day I have never had a little ricer, or punk in a Hemi, out pull me to the next light. The best was smoking a red Hemi with a sticker that loudly proclaimed; "yea it IS a Hemi"! At the next light he is really interested in what I had under the hood. Stock V10 415 cubes I replied. He might have been impressed because I just out pulled him through two lights with a 16' tandem axel car hauler with Twin Harley SuperGlides on the bed.

I love my V10 and he don't gotta know about my 4.30:1 rear end! ;>} (makes for a very fast accelerating heavy truck!)

Old 11-13-2004, 08:08 AM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
I haven't done the searching yet as I have too many other projects going on right now than to start on my SD, but I am sure there is plenty to do with the V10. Ford has a test mule V10 that they have swapped in and out of a few show cars that I hear is unbelieveable. Right now it is in a Mustang and then you have the Cobra show car with the V10. I know that both engines were extensively modified, but I am not certain what they did to them and if any of the modifications have made themselves public. Possibly someone else knows and will post up. Oh boy, I see another project coming up!!!

Old 11-13-2004, 12:18 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
For reference, my '03 F-250 CC 4x4 with 6.0 PSD turned 16.0 s in the 1/4 mile stock. With the $400 Superchips Microtuner (SCMT) installed and the High Performance tune loaded, the ET dropped to 14.33 seconds at 93 MPH or there abouts.

With the SCMT the speed limiter is removed and the rev limiter is bumped up a bit. There have been a couple of guys, one at Superchips and one other fellow who have had the 6.0 PSD up to 140+ MPH with only a tuner, either the SCMT or the Predator, installed.

Don't try this at home however as the tires aren't rated for those kinds of speeds.

With the PSD stock but with the speed limiter disabled, I figured that the truck would top out at around 127 MPH, mostly due to the fact that Ford starts shutting down the fueling the motor after around 3600 RPM.

The V10 with the 4.30 rear end and speed limiter disabled should be able to go to a bit over 140 MPH. This is because the V10 revs higher and because that speed will be right near the HP peak of the motor in top gear.

For both trucks, this is factoring in wind drag and rolling resistance and a few other things. I used my best guess as to the V10's torque and HP over RPM. No one has ever coughed up a Ford dyno plot for the new motor yet so I based the curves on the few data points that they have released.

Old 11-13-2004, 02:29 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin007
I haven't done the searching yet as I have too many other projects going on right now than to start on my SD, but I am sure there is plenty to do with the V10. Ford has a test mule V10 that they have swapped in and out of a few show cars that I hear is unbelieveable. Right now it is in a Mustang and then you have the Cobra show car with the V10. I know that both engines were extensively modified, but I am not certain what they did to them and if any of the modifications have made themselves public. Possibly someone else knows and will post up. Oh boy, I see another project coming up!!!
Isn't that the 351 cube V10? (different engine)

Old 11-13-2004, 06:47 PM
Ronin007
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rancheroracer
Isn't that the 351 cube V10? (different engine)
Like I said, I haven't done the reseach yet so that is possible. Do you have info on either engines? I didn't realize that they have been messing with a 351 ci V10.

Old 11-13-2004, 07:08 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SOCOM
Hey guys!

I've been planning my dream truck for a while, and it's come down to something single cab, 4x4, and stickshift with the most powerful engine that truck offers. Needless to say, that narrows my options down a LOT!!

I know that 362 ponies are going to move whatever they are put into, but I just want to know both on a comparative basis and on any actual 1/4 mile runs anyone may have done about how fast the V10 SD is.

Yes, this truck is not made to race. I'm aware of that fact. I'm not looking for a race truck, just something that will move with a purpose.

Thanks,
Greg
Ah Greg you really are lookin for a race truck arnt you. I see some stoplight races in your past and future. Something to tame down the hemi owners huh. Yeh I know you dont race. You just want something to move with a purpose. The purpose of beating the next car to the light. JK get that V-10 man. Let the races begin

Old 11-13-2004, 08:31 PM
Rancheroracer
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ronin007
Like I said, I haven't done the reseach yet so that is possible. Do you have info on either engines? I didn't realize that they have been messing with a 351 ci V10.
Hot Rod mag Mar 05 had an article on it, article in Jan 04 about test drive.

Old 11-13-2004, 08:40 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Around here is young son GI town. The soldiers coming home after a year in the boonies and streets of Iraq do what GIs have done since 1918, they go buy a car, freedom, expresion.

I swear I have never picked a street fight (drag race style) but the shear quanity of micro ricers and little Hemis is tremendous. 4 out of 5 evenings I pull into the driveway with a big grin. My wife knows why. I get beer, beer good, V10 bragging rights, and beer are more gooder!

I'm old and retired Army. I don't feel bad taking advantage of their poor HP to weight ratios. Young soldiers need hard lessons to make them wiser and stronger.

See, my V10 gives me purpose too, and did I mention beer?

Old 11-14-2004, 01:09 PM
SOCOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
Around here is young son GI town. The soldiers coming home after a year in the boonies and streets of Iraq do what GIs have done since 1918, they go buy a car, freedom, expresion.

I swear I have never picked a street fight (drag race style) but the shear quanity of micro ricers and little Hemis is tremendous. 4 out of 5 evenings I pull into the driveway with a big grin. My wife knows why. I get beer, beer good, V10 bragging rights, and beer are more gooder!

I'm old and retired Army. I don't feel bad taking advantage of their poor HP to weight ratios. Young soldiers need hard lessons to make them wiser and stronger.

See, my V10 gives me purpose too, and did I mention beer?
Well that pretty much sums up what I plan on doing. I leave for Ft. Gordon in the back end of Dec, and after AIT I've made up my mind that I don't want to be in the US for a few years. But when I come back I want a V10 SD, and I'm sure that by that time Ford will have made the V10 even better, so I'm confident in my choice.

I thought about buying a diesel, but since I'm gonna be in the Army, I'm gonna be living on post so the diesel will spend more time getting warmed up and down than it will driving.

And of course I do plan on hopping it up as soon as it gets broke in. I figure that right now, bolt-ons could easily pull 400 hp and and get close to 500lb/ft of torque. Looking a few years ahead I see only bigger gains.

Thanks for the info guys.
Greg

Old 11-14-2004, 01:52 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

I had an idea SOCOM screen name might have had a military tie in.

Thanks for your service, stay safe, take care of yourself and your buddies. Army Of One is a marketing gimick (you know that) teamwork is the name of the game (and you knew that too) You ever need any help or advice, just ask, I am still close to the game.

Who knows what redesigns the 2007 SuperDutys will have, but I bet there still is a V10 in the lineup.

Old 11-14-2004, 02:03 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
fredvon4 Does the new trany make it faster out of the hole than your 01 was.

Us old farts like to play a little to, the old DRW will leave a nice set of 4 black marks.

Denny

Old 11-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

rvpuller,

To tell the truth I thought the 4R100 was faster out of the hole but then I had it turning 3.73:1s. (faster rate of acceleration to rpm) And the old truck had a good set of SteelTechs and they got good bite. I find it much easier to break loose these ContiTrac TRs. But I have not really stood on this new motor, tranny, rear gear combo yet.

Another secret I keep from these ricer and Hemi jocks, is that my truck still has under 3500 miles and I have NOT done a max performance hole shot yet.

So, I am whooping butt with just a strong solid throttle shift method up to 3500rpm and the truck is doing all the work. My motor has only seen 5000 rpm twice and those were emergency "get the hell out of the way" episodes.

Where the 5R110 is a whole new ball game, is it's towing and hill climbing manerisms. I hated when the 4R100 would unlock, think a second, pop down a gear and set me back in my seat as it tried to catch up to a 5 mph difference in set speed vs. actual. The TorqueShift has never done this and I really apreciate other capabilities it has. Under some conditions you can tell the shift points as they are good n solid shifts up or down. Other times she is nice and refined in town and you never even feel the gear changes all day.

Old 11-14-2004, 08:10 PM
SOCOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fredvon4
I had an idea SOCOM screen name might have had a military tie in.
Actually it comes from a video game. When using Akimbo Mk.23 I was unstoppable and I came to be known on a few servers as "That SOCOM guy" because my screen name was horrenously long and no one could figure out how to shorten it. (not even me)

I continue to hear great things about the TorqShift tranny, but I just don't like automatics that much.

From what I hear about the ZF 6Speed tho makes me giddy. The low gears to pull the world around (or just a chevy) but also the higher gears for great highway efficiency. I also like the way they put the reverse and low gear right next to each other so it's just a flick of the wrist to change. Not to mention the fun you could have with somebody just by changing the shifter to one from a five-speed .

Quick Reply: How fast is a V10?