1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor Keyless Entry Range

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 03:42 PM
hoarsnest
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor Keyless Entry Range

I have the factory keyless entry on my '03 F-250 SuperCab. I have always had to be within about 5'-8' of my cab to get the doors to lock/unlock. I thought it was normal for the longest time, but recently learned it's not. I am out of warranty now so I need to try and fix this myself. Does anyone know the location of the receiver module, and what it looks like? Also, is there an external antenna w/ the factory keyless entry, and where is it at? Transmitters are fine, as is battery power. Only think it could be is receiver/antenna.

thanks - Shawn

Old 11-11-2004, 03:59 PM
slpj
Senior User
And I Thought That My 2002 Was Weak...

My keyless works out to at least @100ft. My friends 2002 F150 works much further than mine. If I am not mistaken, my keyless entry receives the signal from the remote at a small smoke colored, dome shaped antennae on the top center of my dash right next to the windshield.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:04 PM
cgl
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by slpj
If I am not mistaken, my keyless entry receives the signal from the remote at a small smoke colored, dome shaped antennae on the top center of my dash right next to the windshield.
Actually, that little dome is your Automatic Headlight Sensor. Which senses ambient light and decides when your headlights should come on (if your switch is in that position).

My keyless works from about 30' away. It used to work from about 100.. but yeah.
---Also in Family---
2003 F-250 XLT FX4 6.0PSD TSA SC SB
2001 F-150 XLT 4x4 5.4 AT SC SB

Old 11-11-2004, 04:12 PM
jesus_man
Senior User
I'm not sure of the manufaturer of mine, but it was installed on the truck as an option when I bought it. It's terrible, I used to have to be pointing it in the window for it to open. I have since found the receiver and unrolled the antenna and now it works from 5-8' away, which sadly I am happy with. My receiver is a small box about 2"Wx2"Lx.5"H with a small wire sticking out of it. It was never mounted (go figure) so the wire was wrapped in a mouting hole. After unravelling it, my reception improved. My box was located just above the pedals and below the fuse box. I would think yours is in the same vicinity. Oh and I have an '02 F-350.

Last edited by jesus_man; 11-11-2004 at 04:17 PM.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:37 PM
Dr_Pain
Senior User
Before laughing about it, just try it!!!! I was reading in the 6.0 forum and they were discussing the subject of unlocking your car via your cell phone and low and behold here comes what I thought to be the most ridiculous suggestion ever, which was to "stick the fob under your chin and your head will work as an antenna".

Funny enough, 2 days later I am walking away from the truck ~100 feet +/- and remembered I had forgotten to lock it. Tried about 15 times reaching as high as I could, going sideways and even trying it upside down and nothing worked.....until I stuck the remote under my chin, and two hits later I heard the familiar honk from the horn. To be sure I used the same procedure to unlock the truck and tried to lock it again keeping it close to me, reaching high, going sideways and nothing worked....until I stuck the remote under my chin.

Go figure??

Claude

Old 11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
jesus_man
Senior User
That's an idea sorta like this one, but it's worth a try!

Old 11-11-2004, 04:54 PM
Dr_Pain
Senior User
J-man,

I am offended that you would confuse me with my cousin

Claude

Old 11-11-2004, 05:04 PM
jesus_man
Senior User
LOL! Sorry, no offence intended!

Old 11-11-2004, 05:20 PM
hoarsnest
New User
Before laughing about it, just try it!!!! I was reading in the 6.0 forum and they were discussing the subject of unlocking your car via your cell phone and low and behold here comes what I thought to be the most ridiculous suggestion ever, which was to "stick the fob under your chin and your head will work as an antenna".
Tried it, nothing works. I'll try looking again where jesus_man suggested, but I've stared there for hours and haven't found it.

Shawn

Old 11-11-2004, 06:09 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I'm sure that you've done this already, but it, usually, doesn't hurt to ask. Have you made sure that you have a fresh battery in your remote? Also, I'm sure that you have tried the second key fob to make sure that the distances at which they work are about the same?

If the second key works only to the same range as the first then you've definitely got a receiver problem. My '03 works out to about 50' pretty well.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:24 PM
mrc59
Tuned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The under-the-chin thing really works. The Car Guys talked about this with a physicist a while back. Something about your body as a low gain antenna. Whatever. It works. Just don't let "outsiders" see you doing this...

Be sure the battery is fresh. I swap fobs after a while until the second one starts to weaken and then get new batteries. They usually last about a year.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:50 PM
moebdick
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe Shawn has tried new batteries (saw his plea for help on another site). Only thing I can think of is an antenna issue, where the antenna wire is too close to some metal or something that's shielding it from the fob signal. Unfortunately, I've nver explored the keyless entry system, so I'm just guessing.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr_Pain
Funny enough, 2 days later I am walking away from the truck ~100 feet +/- and remembered I had forgotten to lock it. Tried about 15 times reaching as high as I could, going sideways and even trying it upside down and nothing worked.....until I stuck the remote under my chin, and two hits later I heard the familiar honk from the horn. To be sure I used the same procedure to unlock the truck and tried to lock it again keeping it close to me, reaching high, going sideways and nothing worked....until I stuck the remote under my chin.
Go figure??
Claude
Now Claude.....
Did you DOUBT us !?!?!?!!?

I am HURT....
tragically hurt

You just have to perfect the move to not look like a complete idiot in the restaurant when you do it....
Usually a chin scratch can be held long enough to get away with it

Old 11-12-2004, 05:34 AM
slpj
Senior User
cgl....Thanks...

Thanks for the info. cgl, I learned something there.

Old 11-12-2004, 06:01 AM
hoarsnest
New User
Yes, I've changed batteries. Both fobs have identical performance, the head trick gains nothing noticable. I have ruled out everything but a receiver/antenna problem. I just need to find them. I sat underneath my dash for about 10 minutes last night listening for a relay click or something while pushing the fob buttons. I thought I could hear something up behind the radio, but I am not sure. I've got a service DVD on the way, but I doubt that is going to be much help either.

Shawn

Quick Reply: Poor Keyless Entry Range