2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 02:01 PM
khendrix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mass Air Flow Sensor.

What exactly is the point of a "Larger" MAF sensor?

Does it trick the engine into pumping in more fuel? I dont under stand how it works.

Old 11-11-2004, 06:26 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I never heard of a "larger" mass airflow sensor before... The mass airflow sensor senses the ammount of air that is being sucked into the engine. The o2 sensors detect how rich/lean the mixture is and adjust fuel delivery accordingly.
MK

Old 11-11-2004, 06:55 PM
MotorPsycho
Senior User
The MAF is a component of the intake system. If you replace the rest of the intake system and the MAF becomes the most constricted point in the intake, then a larger one will allow more airflow possibly resulting in more power.

Obviously, when enhancing a system, you work with the most restrictive component first and then work toward the less restrictive components. I haven't looked at the MAF on the 2004 F150 yet, but generally by the time you get to looking at the MAF you already have a fairly efficient system. With a fairly efficient intake system, power gains from continued fiddling are mostly felt at high rpm's when your motor is trying to move a lot of air. These types of gains are mostly desired by drag racers.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:34 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The mass airflow SENSOR and intake tube are two different things. The Mass Airflow Sensor is the unit that measures the ammount of air that is passing by it. If you were to put a larger intake (in diameter) then of course the sensor would read a larger volume of air passing by it. However, there is no sensor that is "larger" per se. That would be like saying you are going to install a thermometer in your yard that reads a larger temperature. It doesn't really make sense. Once you open up the intake (and exhaust) a Tuner helps to gain the most out of the "readings" from your mass airflow SENSOR and oxygen sensors, resulting in better performance.
I hope I clarified my confusing earlier post....
MK

Old 11-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Killer04FX4
New User
Wink

Originally Posted by mkoser
The mass airflow SENSOR and intake tube are two different things. The Mass Airflow Sensor is the unit that measures the ammount of air that is passing by it. If you were to put a larger intake (in diameter) then of course the sensor would read a larger volume of air passing by it. However, there is no sensor that is "larger" per se. That would be like saying you are going to install a thermometer in your yard that reads a larger temperature. It doesn't really make sense. Once you open up the intake (and exhaust) a Tuner helps to gain the most out of the "readings" from your mass airflow SENSOR and oxygen sensors, resulting in better performance.
I hope I clarified my confusing earlier post....
MK
Yes... but if you go to the parts counter and ask for a MAF (MASS AIR FLOW) sensor, they give you a tubular shaped housing, with heated platinum element electronics package... You cannot buy just the element (or sensor) by itself.. If you go to Pro-M 's website, you will see a bunch of different MAF's.. www.pro-flow.com. as an example of aftermarket units available... And yes, you typically will find a gain in performance, but that is mainly done by changing the calibration to give you a little leaner A/F ratio, which is already being handled by the SCT tuner, or predator that most you guys are buying... Most people do not need to change them in a stock, or near stock truck, because the stock maf doesn't have enough pressure loss to effect much... but put in a supercharger, and your requirement for air will increase.. then you might benefit from putting in a new larger bore Sensor (and housing)... plus most aftermarket Mafs have a less restrictive sampling post.. unlike the factory Ford units (hitachi electronics) which have a pretty large air sampling post in the center...

Man.. sorry, but I think I just confused myself... lol..