Headers, True Duals With Hi-Flows, Or MIL's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Headers, True Duals With Hi-Flows, Or MIL's?

Hey all,

I've been wondering about my next mod.

Thanks.

Just kidding,

Should I go with headers, or true duals with hi-flow cats and flowmaster 40's? or should i even consider going straight pipe with MIL's? I live in CA by the way, and I'm not sure of the inspection procedure, do they do a Visual inspection? Because if they do I'm wondering if I can even get by with 2 hi-flows instead of 4 stockers.

Anyow, my main objective is sound. Many of you may disagree with my goal, but it's not like I'm going out and racing everything in sight. And the 5.4 autos would smoke my ***** off anyhow. I killed 4.6 autos stock, so thats not a question. Anyhow, I'm doing it for sound, and for general performance and fuel efficiency.

First question is what headers to go with. I know JBA makes a header, but they are about 8 million dollars. Not sure if I'm down with that. Does MAC make a header? whenever i go to their webpage it i only find headers for the 302 and the 351, but none for our trucks. Will the 3.8 mustang headers work? or will there be a lot of work getting it to bolt up to the factory cat pipes? Those headers are so much cheaper!

My next option is going true duals. I want to go true duals, with hi-flow cats. Now my question is which hi-flow cats. I know that the magnaflow ones are a lot more popular, and have the AIR tube so that I don't have to worry about a CEL, but the Catco cats are about half as cheap. and i think they have teh AIR tube also. Is anyone enlightened in this area?

I just want to know which one will give me the best sound out of my truck, and to sound like every other person who has ever asked, what will "make my truck sound like a v6" I'm going for that throaty, hollow grumble sound.

I thought of headers because my classmate has headers, intake, and a FM40 on his v8 tundra (hate those trucks) and it's about 94 times louder and meaner sounding than my truck. Thing is, it's a lot louder than any other tundra i've heard. And im thinking its cuz of his headers....

Eventually, I'll have both these mods done, but not within a 6 month time frame.

Which one should I do first? And Why? Care to expand on the topic? Recommendations? Anyone know anything about CA smog inspection and if there is a visual inspection along with it?

MIL's would be my LAST option, I doubt I'd ever do that. Unless I could find Off-Road pipes for our trucks DIRT CHEAP. Then I'd ****** them up and put it in immediately. Quick bolt on, right?

Rman

Old 11-11-2004, 01:49 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are going for sound, true duals with high-flows will be WAY louder than just a set of headers. Flowmasters growl a ton more than any header does, and true duals doubles the sound IMO. Like we all pretty much, we'll never have V8 Tundra sound, and trust me, the headers are helping some with the sound, but FM40's are what are giving it that growl.

Yes, MAC makes a set of headers for the 4.2. They $300 and pretty much a steal. You have to go to contact info on the MAC site and get the toll free number and call them, and you will order them...they aren't on the site.

There will be a clearance problem with the 3.8 Mustang headers, but it doesn't matter know that you know MAC has a direct bolt-on header to fit your truck.

I would say for sound, go with the true dual high-flow set up. It will definatley be louder than just headers. Any high flow cat will be fine I'd say. They aren't going to make too much difference in sound anyways, and you would be absolutely fine with high-flow cats as far as inspection goes.

Aren't you glad you know me?

Joe

Old 11-11-2004, 02:07 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Joe,

You don't think I'd run into a problem with CA's ultra strict emissions
testing? Maybe I should just call up a smog place and ask them, eh? Or ask my muffler dude...Muff Dude! Bring him some beer and he'll weld it right up!

Thanks for the advice, I'll probably go true duals with the hi-flows and wait awhile for the headers to come out and the price to go down....

Boy, am I glad i know you!!

Rman

Old 11-11-2004, 02:12 PM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your emissions will be fine! As long as you have some kind of cats, you'll pass...even the ones that tear apart your toilet paper when you leave home!

Old 11-11-2004, 02:15 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
imagine tying a cat (feline) to your x-pipe and going to get smogged.... wonder what expression the tester would have....