Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

Vehicle Inspection question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 09:34 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle Inspection question.

I live in Bryan and I was wondering if we have emmisions tests.When I goto inspection at Dixie Tire, they drive off with my truck and I'm not sure what they inspect.

So anyone in Bryan know if we have Emmision inspection or a "lenient" place where they wont check.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:34 AM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
only several counties in texas do an emmisions test, i don't think thats one of them. Check online on txdots site.. they list everything out...

Old 11-10-2004, 10:34 PM
twkisner
New User
Naa...it's Dallas, Tarrant, Collin, Denton, Houston and I THINK El Paso.

They are checking the wiper blades, brakes, the headlights and the horn...not much else..

Old 11-12-2004, 05:46 PM
bigreave
Senior User
no bryan dosnt check just make sure that all your emmisons "looks to be in working order"

Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 AM
Rosati
Postmaster
Drive off is to test braking. FYI-most stations will not inspect when it is raining or wet outside. Also, if you just installed new brakes drums and pads on your classic truck, warn the tech before he drives off not to stomp the brake. I've had techs smack their faces on the steering wheel of my 63 Pontiac because they "though them old cars didn't have good brakes".
B-cs only tests the fuel cap on newer vehicles to insure it's not vented. Older vehicles are exempt from this test.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
Where do yall suggest is the best place to get the inspection in b/cs? My truck is all legal, although if the place doesn't know the laws they will likely give me hell. I run a straight pipe that dumps under the bed... but it is perfectly legal. I suppose I will also print out the guidelines from the txdot website just in case...

..but yeah, who do yall like?

Old 11-18-2004, 07:32 PM
BillC
Elder User

Any place down there that does safety inspections will do it. If you have any questions have them show it to you in the regulations. I can guarantee that if you have any problems and you let the DMV know about it, they will pay them a visit.

Old 11-24-2004, 07:17 AM
ScottInTexas
Give me coffee - Or beer!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just so y'all know; if you live in a county that does the emissions testing (Brazoria County for example) you cannot get the vehicle inspected in non-emissions testing counties. They will tell you to take it home. I had hell getting my '84 F-150 inspected. I was working in Liberty County and live in Brazoria County. Failed emissions twice. Finally leaned out the carb as much as I dared, reset the timing yet again and poured a can of octane booster in a tank of gas. Passed with flying colors. I will be exempt from the emissions test in a couple of more years.

The emissions test is nothing more than a money grab. It cost $39.50 to get my truck inspected. Before I failed the test you could nearly breath the exhaust from my truck, it was so clean. Unburned hydrocarbons was killing me though. This extra emissions testing has got to go. There is no way it is going to reduce polution, especially in a place where there are chemical plants every 5 feet. Cars are cleaner now than ever before and auto manufacturers are constantly working on even cleaner more efficient engines. Look around, there are few "old" cars on the road. Just some of us die hards that want to avoid payments are driving the older vehicles. In my mind emissions from cars will be reduced through attrition. Most people seem to trade in their three year old vehicles for newer shinier cars or trucks. To many it is a status symbol making it even more important NOT to own an old car. They are buuying the more efficient cleaner cars and the old ones are going away. Meanwhile the chemical companies are reporting hundreds of tons of crap puked into the air every year. The paper has the numbers every year on the front page. "Dow Chemical Reports 450 tons of ... ". That's just what they report. No telling how much crap was dumped during the last thunderstorm so no one could see it. In all the air cleanliness has improved and not because 8 out of 200 something counties are checking the auto emissions.

Just my opinion. Had to vent.

Old 11-26-2004, 12:08 AM
fordinlinesix
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Add Parker County to the list, we got it 2 years ago and it sucks! We have to pass Tarrant's old emissions test. I had to sell my '86 F150 and use the money for a down payment on my '01 F150, just so I would have a friggin vehicle to get me to and from work that would pass emissions, it's a lot of B.S. Sure makes it hard on us poor folk.

Old 11-28-2004, 12:49 PM
F150ownz
Senior User
i've got friends at the ford place cause dad use to work there i just pay em the 12.50 and they slap a new sticker on it

Old 12-29-2004, 04:36 AM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Things like this realy worry me. New trucks are great, but I realy love my 73. I wonder how much longer I'll be able to keep her with things like this.

Old 01-03-2005, 01:49 AM
faroffthetrack
Elder User
Your 73 should be exempt.

Old 01-18-2005, 08:33 AM
BillC
Elder User

Originally Posted by F150ownz
i've got friends at the ford place cause dad use to work there i just pay em the 12.50 and they slap a new sticker on it
Friends have nothing to do with it. Your paying the going rate for the safety inspection in a non-emission county.