1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas vs. diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 02:06 PM
gary_k
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gas vs. diesel

I am considering a new F250 and I am wondering if I should go diesel or gas. I will be getting a standard transmission in it either way, because I prefer them to automatics. I was leaning toward the diesel because of the horror stories I have heard about gas mileage from the Ford V8 gas engines but I am wondering if it is worth it now because of the high cost of diesel fuel. I do not tow anything that heavy and I put anywhere from 10k to 15k a year and usually keep a truck about 10 years. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
Gary_k

Old 11-09-2004, 02:46 PM
ASHES
Junior User
Do a search on this topic you will find tons of info. I know this has been asked at least 3 times in the last 2-3 weeks. It really comes down to what you will use the truck for and what you prefer. I don't know what type of gas mileage the V-8's are getting but on my V-10 I'm getting arount 13-14 MPG in city and anywhere from 15-17 on highway. If costs is a determining factor the gassers don't get as good MPG as the diesels but you also have to consider it does cost more to maintain a diesel than a gasser and it's about 5k more for the diesel. Either way you go you can't make a wrong decision they're all great trucks. Good luck on your decision

Old 11-10-2004, 03:27 AM
f350truck
Freshman User
Unhappy

get the diesel you'll be glad you did!!! and keep your fingers crossed that diesel will go down again in price. hopefully back below the cost of 87 octane very soon!!!!!!!! a little side note the longevity of a diesel to a gas motor is incredible if you plan to rack up the miles go with the psd all the way.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:45 AM
Edmo
Senior User
Get the gasser, you'll be glad you did!!! I know I am!

Edmo

Old 11-10-2004, 08:26 AM
RIS
Senior User
What came first? The chicken or the egg?

diesel or gas
gas or diesel

"ONE OF EACH!!!!"

Old 11-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
Steam, then hydrogen oxygen, then gasoline, then diesel.

Which came first though does not answer the question of which is better.

Best to search through the ample posts on the topic, do the research, and then buy the diesel and add a tuner

Seriously though, it really depends upon what you are going to use the truck for and on how long you plan on keeping it.

Old 11-10-2004, 12:27 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I keep seeing people post that it costs more to maintain a diesel truck than a gas truck. I would really like to know some of the facts these statements are based on, because both diesel trucks I have owned have certainly been cheaper to maintain than the gas trucks I have had. Please enlighten me with real information, not the "I heard" or "I imagine" stuff.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:26 PM
rokf250
New User
Originally Posted by Pikachu
I keep seeing people post that it costs more to maintain a diesel truck than a gas truck. I would really like to know some of the facts these statements are based on, because both diesel trucks I have owned have certainly been cheaper to maintain than the gas trucks I have had. Please enlighten me with real information, not the "I heard" or "I imagine" stuff.
I just filled up my diesel truck. 2.40 a gallon... when I bought my truck it was like 1.65 and a good deal.....

Old 11-10-2004, 03:49 PM
79oneton
Junior User
This will be the first winter for my psd. I'm noticing the parking lot a work is near empty by the time my clatter box gets warmed up. Something I didn't consider when I bought it. Anyway a few extra minutes isn't that bad.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:50 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I think that Pikachu's post was more directed at the maintance costs like oil and oil filter changes, air and fuel filter changes, etc.

The direct operating costs per mile for fuel is pretty straight forward to compare between the two given cost of fuel and mileage. The maintenance costs to keep the diesel running over that of the V10 is what is being questioned.

Let's hear some real maint cost numbers per 50,000 miles or 100,000 miles for each motor.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:24 PM
rvpuller
Received 431 Likes on 282 Posts
I have 2 two V10s, the DRW has 42K on it the only service have been oil changes every 4 to 5 K, M1 with filter 26.30 total, air filter is K&N. The SRW has 75K the same service as the DRW. If they run as good at 100K I won't even do the plug change. I don't just drive them empty ether, DRW 15K 5ver, SRW weighs 9K+ all the time.

Denny

Old 11-10-2004, 06:44 PM
drighten
Senior User
In 2000 I bought a 4.6 gasser with 4R70 tranny in an F150 Supercab 4X4 short box with 3.55 gearing. Being a small V-8 it should have got good gas mileage - NOT. And aside from that, it wouldn't pull #$%^. I have an Airstream, and was doing hills in low gear to avoid tranny death. In 2002 I traded the 4.6 with only 9,000 miles on it for a 5.4 with 4R100 tranny, 3.73 gears in the same body style but in a 7700 model (F150 Supercab Short Box 4X4) It got better fuel mileage and pulled my Airstream pretty good. While test driving trucks in 2002 I tried out an F250 Superduty Supercab Shortbox 4X4 with the 5.4, and I liked the F150/7700 better. Now we get to the end of the story. This year, 2004, I finally made the step and got an F250 Superduty, Supercab, Short Box, 4X4, 6.0L, Torqueshift 5 speed auto, 3.73 gears, and I now can speak from owning all of the Ford V-8s except the 7.3, which must be a wonderful motor, because this 6.0 is really something. Moral of the story? I won't go back to gas. AND this diesel pulls my Airstream like it wasn't even there. AND it goes like a scared rabbit. AND it gets better fuel mileage with my heavy foot than any of the other ones did when I drove like I had all my marbles (which I have never been accused of having) If this don't convince you to buy the diesel, then go buy a gasser and suffer the consequences. (happpiness and contentment if you want one) Really, the way I see it - if yur askin', ya must want a diesel.

Last edited by drighten; 11-10-2004 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:02 PM
biz4two
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Pikachu
Ok...the answer(s) should be based on first 100,000 miles driven:

1. How much does it cost for an oil change v10? (number of quarts plus oil filter and how often does change occur)

2. How much does it cost for an oil change 6.0L? (number of quarts plus oil filter and how often does change occur)

3. How much does it cost for fuel filter v10? (how often does change occur)

4. How much does it cost for fuel filter 6.0L? (how often does change occur)

Now...lets also factor in the duration for each above. We should all be using the FORD recommended Severe maint. schedule. Plus all work is done by owner. We will not consider "shop" involvement here...as different shops charge differently.

Any input is appreciated...lets see the numbers, so that we can get a true idea of cost of ownership here.

Old 11-11-2004, 12:31 PM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
Just buy what YOU want and don't look back.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:38 PM
slpj
Senior User
In 2002 I Had This Same Issue...

I was at the same place that you are at right now, back in 2002. I didn't need the diesel, just thought that I wanted it. The extra price for the diesel engine had me going back and forth from gas to diesel, back to gas. One evening, I even ordered a gas super duty from my dealer, thinking that I finally had made my mind up. Well I hadn't, I called the dealer the next morning and ended up cancelling the order and bought the 6 speed diesel truck that I had test drove before. I don't buy new trucks very often (still have my old one) and I got to thinking that evening before that I really wanted the diesel and I was just trying to save the money. I deceided on the diesel and am glad that I did, gotta love the PSD engine. You will find people here that have good opinions on the gas and the diesel engines and everyone likes their own truck, which can be expected. Either way, they are both FORDS, so how can you go wrong! Just Buy What You Really Want.

Quick Reply: gas vs. diesel