3rd gear synchro (bump and) grinding

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 11:42 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd gear synchro (bump and) grinding

Hey everyone,

back in 01, when my truck was still a baby, i noticed that my 3rd gear synchro grinded a bit when shifting too quickly. I still have the problem, only it is a lot more sensitive, and a lot more grinding. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced a problem like this, and how hard would it be to fix this problem?

Thanks for all the help. You guys (but mostly me) rock!!!

Armand

Old 11-09-2004, 11:21 AM
true4.2
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 4th gear does the same thing, but that's only when I'm flooring like a mad man and shifting from 3rd to 4th at like 88 mph. Let it be known that the synchros in our trannys SUCK! I've heard of the synchros being replace more than the gasket issue...so it just sounds like you need to replace them...but first, I would recommend switching to Royal Purple Synchromax and put it in your tranny. Friend of mine did this and it cured his grinding.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:27 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really have to try hard to get the grind, just kind of happens. Sucks too, cuz it feels normal to me, whereas someone else would freak out at the feeling of a gear spinning against another gear before engaging. I just dismiss it as 'part of my truck'

There is an old saying...."i don't see nothin wrong....with a little bump and grind'

i bet there's nothing wrong with ****ing on a little girl's chest while video taping it either.....

Old 11-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Black4.2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually ehen I first had my truck at 36,000 it grinded in 3rd sometimes if you didn't hit it right or driving hard. No it doesn't do that anymore...the only gear it grinds in is 4th....is I am shifting out at 85-90.I think if we changed out our synchros, added royal purple, and installed a tighter preformance clucth set...these trannys wouldn't be bad at all.