Sponsored by: Moser

Points to electronic ignition.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 06:57 PM
wckdclwn911
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Points to electronic ignition.

What do I have to change to get rid of these points in my 74 250 390??? Gettin' really tired fo 'em burning up!!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:23 PM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
New electronic distributor, new coil, and a control module box and wiring.

Old 11-08-2004, 07:25 PM
wckdclwn911
Junior User
Thank you sir, Ive done it once before, but its been a little while, and I couldnt remember what all I had to do....Thanks alot.....FORD RULES!!

Old 11-08-2004, 07:42 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
burning points i have never heard of this could you fill me in because i just switched to points because my ford electronic ignition kept burning up 80.00 ignition modules

Old 11-08-2004, 11:00 PM
robtinalimon
Senior User
My 390, of the same year and model, does not have a module. Is that correct?
Should I purchase one when I swap to electronic ignition?

Old 11-09-2004, 10:33 AM
tbirdrief
Junior User
If your distributor is O.K. I would change over to a Pertronix system. Less than $100 with a hot coil, If you buy right. About half an hour work and you are on the road again. This is a nice change over. I've been using mine for about 30,000 miles

Old 11-09-2004, 10:40 AM
RR4E
Elder User
I'll back tbird's recommendation there. The pertronix is a true bolt on kit, no need to change the distributor(unless it's worn out). http://www.pertronix.com/ You can choose from the Ignitor or Ignitor II kit, the latter being a bit more performance oriented.

Old 11-09-2004, 01:29 PM
kc0rey
Senior User
Use a GM 4 pin module with your points. They will never burn up again.
Use a GM 4 pin module with a Duraspark II distributer.
Use a GM 4 pin module and you don't need an $80 box. Who buys an $80 box?
Use a GM 4 pin module or buy an MSD box. I detest Pertronix.
Use a GM 4 pin module because it is cheap and works as well as more expensive options. Good to about 400 HP they say.

I think there is a tech article on this site about using the GM Module.

Pssssst.......Hey buddy.........I use GM alternators on all of my Fords too!

Old 11-09-2004, 02:55 PM
RR4E
Elder User
Originally Posted by kc0rey
Use a GM 4 pin module with your points. They will never burn up again.
Use a GM 4 pin module with a Duraspark II distributer.
Use a GM 4 pin module and you don't need an $80 box. Who buys an $80 box?
Use a GM 4 pin module or buy an MSD box. I detest Pertronix.
Use a GM 4 pin module because it is cheap and works as well as more expensive options. Good to about 400 HP they say.

I think there is a tech article on this site about using the GM Module.

Pssssst.......Hey buddy.........I use GM alternators on all of my Fords too!

Some of us won't desecrate a perfectly good truck with GM parts....although I've seen it done.

Old 11-09-2004, 03:36 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
i would never put gm stuff in my ford

Old 11-09-2004, 06:24 PM
vintagerider50
New User
Since KC brought up the MSD...I have an MSD 6AL and an MSD TFI Blaster coil that I originally purchased for my TFI Bronco. I'd like to use it on my '77 F250 which still has the oem Duraspark. Will the 6AL eliminate the Duraspark module or must I retain the factory module as is necessary on TFI eqipped vehicles? (necessary owing to the lack of a trigger on TFI distributors as opposed to the Duraspark distributors which are equipped with a trigger). I have an Accel Super Coil (#140001) which I could use instead of the Blaster coil. Any suggestions on which coil/module to use?

Old 11-09-2004, 07:56 PM
eveready77
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I changed my 360 over to a dura-spark system because i had the spare parts layin around, only needed a distributer out of a '76 & up (besides my old dizzy was worn out). It works perfect but if I had not had the stuff I would have gone with a pertronix with out any hestation. P.S. puttin gm parts on a ford is like puttin lipstick on a man.... It dosent belong and people will never look at you the same again

Old 11-09-2004, 08:01 PM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eveready77
I changed my 360 over to a dura-spark system because i had the spare parts layin around, only needed a distributer out of a '76 & up (besides my old dizzy was worn out). It works perfect but if I had not had the stuff I would have gone with a pertronix with out any hestation. P.S. puttin gm parts on a ford is like puttin lipstick on a man.... It dosent belong and people will never look at you the same again
I love it!!!! I couldn't have said it better my self. I'm not sure about the rest of ya'll, but GM parts won't fit my Ford no matter what you do to it. That guy sounds like the type that would take a perfectly good 36 coupe, and ruin it with a 350 engine and turbo 350 transmission. There are a multitude of actual Ford and aftermarket parts that you can use with out going to the General.

Old 11-10-2004, 01:06 AM
kc0rey
Senior User
Originally Posted by vintagerider50
Since KC brought up the MSD...I have an MSD 6AL and an MSD TFI Blaster coil that I originally purchased for my TFI Bronco. I'd like to use it on my '77 F250 which still has the oem Duraspark. Will the 6AL eliminate the Duraspark module or must I retain the factory module as is necessary on TFI eqipped vehicles? (necessary owing to the lack of a trigger on TFI distributors as opposed to the Duraspark distributors which are equipped with a trigger). I have an Accel Super Coil (#140001) which I could use instead of the Blaster coil. Any suggestions on which coil/module to use?

You know what? I am always willing to help when I can! Sorry it is so large. If it gets removed PM me and I'll email it to you.

Originally Posted by docholiday72tx
I love it!!!! I couldn't have said it better my self. I'm not sure about the rest of ya'll, but GM parts won't fit my Ford no matter what you do to it. That guy sounds like the type that would take a perfectly good 36 coupe, and ruin it with a 350 engine and turbo 350 transmission. There are a multitude of actual Ford and aftermarket parts that you can use with out going to the General.
I can feel the love!

It is cheap, easy, looks cleaner and works better. I would never put a SBC in a 32 Ford. In fact I don't like cars. I wouldn't put a SBC in a Ford truck either.

BTW, I have never purchased a GM module MADE by GM. GM doesn't make 'em. The same folks who make your Duraspark box make 'em.

Tell me which looks better and cleaner:

This?

Or this?

There are lots of Ford guys who have been doing this Mod for years. That is what it is, a modification.

I've got a 90 Amp ALT in my Bronco II and it cost me $48 and it took me 60 minutes to do it. It works good and it is cheap. Not to mention I threw away 15 feet of 20 year old wiring.

I'll bet you are real young. Take some advice from an old man. I'm just trying to help ya' and that is no reason to insult me.

BTW, I have a very strong and very long background in electronics.

Last edited by kc0rey; 11-10-2004 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-10-2004, 08:25 AM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kc. In the first place. I am very sorry. I had no intention of insulting anyone. That guy with the lip stick remark just had me floored I was laughing so hard. In the second place, I" ve been around the block a time or two, and am no where near young. How ever I do wish very much that I was. Now as for your 3 pictures up there: The first is a good upgrade. I added the Msd module to my truck, and it starts up like it's fuel injected. The second picture is what I assume is a diagram to change from points to duraspark with the factory ignition module. Sorry, when I origionaly did that to my truck, it was no where near that complicated. The third picture, I'm assuming is adding the general's coil. I don't understand the diagaram. What do the G,W,B,and C represent? The curiosity is killing me. I always like learning new things, and the best things come from the older generation. Last but not least, what did you gain by going from the ford alternator over to G.M. other than doing away with some old wiring? Once, again the curiosty is gettin to me. Once again, let me apolojize for insulting you.

Quick Reply: Points to electronic ignition.