Crankshaft damper spacing problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 01:34 PM
cbisk
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crankshaft damper spacing problems

First off, Hi. I am new to you site and this is my first post. I am in the process of rebuilding my 1969 429. I have a lot history with the motor and hope to share what I know and learn what I don't.

Ok, my problem is this: I installed a new gear drive, harmonic damper and serpentine pulley kit on my motor and ran into the problem of the crank pulley sticking out 1/4" farther than it should to line up with the rest of the pulleys on the motor. I pulled off the pulley and damper nut and washer and found out that the face of the harmonic damper stuck out from the crank shaft 1/4". Reluctingly I pulled back off the timing cover thinking I installed something backwards or wrong. The crankshaft sprocket for the gear drive is tight to the crank and measures no wider than the stock one; the damper spacer is stock and pushed tight to the gear; the harmonic damper is no wider than stock and us pushed tight to the spacer; and I still come up 1/4" long on the crankshaft. For all I know this is how it always was. The old damper had 2 v-belt grooves in it and with the old pulley system seemed to work fine. Damper spacer is non-counterweighted. Please advise.