1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Any Good Fiberglass Reports?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 07:03 PM
nomadshirt
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Good Fiberglass Reports?

After doing a search and reviewing the threads concerning the one piece doghouse from Fairlane and the complications associated with the install, I've reconsided my own position on buying this type item.

However, it still leaves me with a problem. I need a hood and fenders. Has anyone had good luck with a fiberglass hood? I intend on using a hood flip kit on the hood.

There was mention of a hood patch panel from MidFifty in an earlier thread; however, I didn't see it in the catalog I just received.

Decisions, Decisions about where to put the money!!!!

Old 11-07-2004, 07:28 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
I will never, ever ever ever ever, use a fiberglass body panel again if steel is available. If I get forced, I will use Bebops glass. I've ranted here too many times already. I'm sure you have already read my whining if you did a search. Here's a summary.

Believe me now or believe me later, the front clip of an Effie is a son of a gun to get aligned properly. It is absolutely impossible to make a glass fender as thin as 16-18 GA sheetmetal. So you're trying to account for incorrectness of the part right from the very start. I used to have two glass fenders, before I happily gave them a Greyhound/ebay ride out of town. One weighed 15 pounds, the other 25. My stock fender weighed about 19 as I recall. Just to give you an idea of the inconsistency involved with glass.

I bought a glass valance before steel was available. It worked out, but it is not an intricate part either.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:45 PM
richard jobe
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lower fender

i ordered a lower right front fender from obsolate ford ok city it didnt fit right
flange wasnt wide enough to drill holes for bolts to bolt upper fender i think
next time i will do something else richard jobe 1950 f1