1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

90 Ranger roof leaks...Raingutter???

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 06:11 PM
sjwoody
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90 Ranger roof leaks...Raingutter???

My Ranger will leak water from the left forward corner of the ceiling...right onto my left knee while it's raining. It seems to stop after driving a little, but when stopped, it will drip again.

I don't think it's the windshield. With a lot of construction around here, I've been forced to replace 3 windshields in the last couple of years, and it still leaks. There are some cracks in the sealer that's in the raingutter over the doors. These look a little lower than where the leak is inside, but water could be puddling somewhere. I hate to put RTV on it, I don't really like using that stuff...any ideas on the leak and what I can put in the raingutter cracks?

Thanks

Old 11-07-2004, 12:12 AM
DadsrII
Freshman User
I had the same problem with my 88 Bronco II. when it rained it would fill a 3 lb cofee can til it overflowed. It turned out to be the caulking for the seams where the pillar and the roof meet. To fix it I removed the drivers side and top windshield trim molding and turned on the hose just in that corner (hose on only a little, not hard so the water only goes in that area). Once I found out it was the caulking, I used a pick and removed the old crumbling caulk and siliconed it. Hasn't leaked since.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:29 AM
sjwoody
Senior User
Thanks for the info. I didn't think it would be the windshield, but I had never considered the pillar/roof area. Since that area is hidden, I won't have any problem putting silicone on it.

Thanks again.

Old 09-13-2006, 11:50 AM
lutzrg
New User
Ranger Roof Leaks

Dear Ranger Owner:

I found that the Ranger leaks are from the cargo box light at the top of the rear of the cab. The factory gasket shrinks, the rain comes in onto the top seam rail and goes to the lowest point to drip in. This point depends on the attitude of the cab. Fix is easy: get some camper top foam, cut a narrow strip, about 1/4 inch wide and 12 inches long, loosen the light attachment screws and pull the light fixture out a bit. Clean surfaces on the cab and the back of the fixture with a brush. Pull off the tape from the strip of foam and apply it to the top and sides, and around the bottom of the light assy in the cavity where the original gasket has shrunk away from. Make sure there is no break in this foam strip across the top and sides. You don't have to be concerned about along the bottom. Manipulate this assy back in place making sure the foam strip gets tucked in all the way around. Insert and tighten the two screws and your rain leaks will be gone!

Cheers,

RGL

Old 09-13-2006, 01:14 PM
fordboy_52
Lead Driver
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE lutzrg. Im glad you chose the best site on the net for Ford-Trucks! See you around the boards!!

Matt

Old 09-13-2006, 07:21 PM
shiloh66
Junior User
SJ, I had the very same problem with my 90 BII. If the rain gutter above the door has cracks in the sealer, it will most likely leak. I took a flat screwdriver and dug all of the old sealer out that I could.Then I sanded the length of the area with 120 grit sand paper, and then wiped it down with lacquer thinner. I went to the parts house and got a tube of seam sealer( get the kind that hardens,some of it remains pliable) that goes in a caulking gun . I then layed a bead in the gutter, and used Dawn dish detergent on my finger to smooth it in. I didnt even bother painting it, for it isnt seen very easily.

Old 09-14-2006, 09:08 AM
Madmike33
Elder User
Definately your problem, ever notice there aren't any rain gutters since 1993 on the Rangers? Yep, it was a common problem. Easily fixed though, make sure you use a sealant that stays flexible, so it will flex and absorb wind friction or else it'll crack again. You've got options as to what you can use to seal. Best option would be seam sealer as this is what is used at the factory and will last the longest. You could also use windsheild urethane sealant. Both of these can be painted. Urethane sealant is much messier/stickier than seam sealer.

Good luck.

Madmike33

Old 09-14-2006, 09:30 AM
lutzrg
New User
Rain leaks and cargo light is for '93 and up.

I forgot to mention the cargo light leak fix was for the 93 and newer bodies. I have a 93, great little 3.0/5spd and I had to replace the carpet due to mold - all because of the rain leak. My neighbor has a 95 4.0/auto and was getting water in as well. We fixed his cargo light and the problem has vanished.

I have no experience with the earlier Rangers, but I understand the rain gutter leak problem from the days of our van, which was bought new in 1987, the year of our Ford.

Cheers,

RGL

Old 09-14-2006, 08:39 PM
sjwoody
Senior User
I appreciate the comments, however, the date on my last posting on this thread was Nov of 2004. The cause of the leak was indeed the gap between the pillar and the roof. Just a small amount of RTV in the gap was all it took...no more leaks. I sold the truck last spring to a friend who uses it as a work truck, but I still maintain it. It now has almost 200,000 miles on it. It was a great truck for me and still works great for my friend. Thanks again for your input.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:28 PM
lutzrg
New User
I know, I'm just catching up with the commentary.

The other problems I have had are a) I let the tranny (5spd) get low on fluid, due to the leaky rubber plugs on the top, which required a re-build, and the wiper motor gave up, due to my not lubricating the mechanism under the windshield. So, these were my fault, and the truck is a great utility vehicle as well as comfortable on the road. Just wish it had a little more torque in fifth gear at 65 mph to be able to hold the hills in cruise control! New air induction, bigger TB, or a Paxton? I don't know.

cheers,

Rgl

Old 10-02-2006, 01:07 PM
lutzrg
New User
Ford Ranger Roof Leaks

Thanks, I'm glad this helped.

This ol' Ranger has been a great truck, only problems besides the leak were from my neglect (burned brgs in tranny and let wiper mech go un-lubed and burned motor). I do have a singing belt tightener brg at 160K miles.

I luv muh truck!

Cheers,

Rgl