Computer Chips & Tuners  

Diablo Sport Chip Problems - 2001 4.0

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 11:39 AM
silvertrac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diablo Sport Chip Problems - 2001 4.0

Need help troubleshooting problemsome Diablo chip.

Got a Delta Sport 4-bank chip for my 2001 Ford Sport Trac 4.0. Had reburned with Motorhaven (very helpful people so far). Program JXV2, as stated on sticker of ECU, did not work. No start at all.

Chip was reprogrammed to JXV3 (Motorhaven said this was the latest info/program from Diablo for my truck). Truck would start but would stall after a few seconds. After a few tries of this the battery died completely. Uninstalled chip again.

Terminals clean, installed and uninstalled according to instructions, etc. Truck is 100% stock at this point. 50K miles. New to me.

On a seperate note, battery has been dead since this second code attempt and won't start truck. Truck runs fine after jumping but won't start without (cant shut it off). I have been told this is a coincidence and need a new battery. Probably true. I have to replace it today.

Are there any known problems with my vehicle and computer code?

Is there any connection with the chip and the dead battery? Seems too much of a coincidence seeing as the battery did not strain before it originally died. If not related the battery is not a big deal, I just want the chip to work.....

Is there a third program to try? Is it possible that my computer was reflashed in the past and causing this problem? I am going to have a friend check it tomorrow. No sticker or anything.

I desperately want the chip to work but am getting very frustrated with it.

Thanks for any help.
-Derek

Old 11-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
I don't know anything except what I've read. One of the things I read in my Diablo instruction manual is that ANY amperage draw on the battery can interfere with the Diablo installation. If your battery had a bad cell then it could easily be the cause of your problems. I've had two separate defective batteries in my Ranger in the last 7 years. The last one would only short out occassionally and two separate shops couldn't find the cause. When the truck died again I bought a new battery and no more problems.

Back to the Diablo, I installed my program on my '02 F150 last night and it has been running excellent today. I'm looking forward to learning how to read the engine codes, etc. and getting the most out of my purchase.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:28 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The chip can't cause any problems with the battery. Tuners are sensitive to it though (because they are powered by the vehicle during installation). It sounds like a coincidence, out of thousands of chips down I've yet to see any situation that can kill the battery, unless the battery or charging system already has a problem.

Usually with problems like the no start a read of the computer is in order.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:04 AM
silvertrac
New User
Thanks Ken. From everything I have gathered I am sure it was a coincidence with the battery. Put a new one in and it if fine.
Chip still doesn't work though. Tried it again, truck started, ran for about 10 seconds and shut down. Did not keep trying due to the earlier problem with the battery.
I am going to have someone read my ECU code this week. If there is anything you think we can do in the mean time please let me know.
Thanks.
-Derek

Old 11-10-2004, 01:54 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Call the MotorHaven office.