Notices

Bed Liners, Drop in Or Spray On

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 09:57 PM
elt449
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bed Liners, Drop in Or Spray On

undefined Well guys and gals, I sold my "00" 150 and got a "02" with low miles and a 5.4L . Now what I need to decide is, Should I go with the Drop in Bed Liner or the spray on? If spray on, which brand ?

Gotta love my truck

Old 11-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Weevil
Senior User
I hear Line-X

From what I've heard Line-X is the one. Anyway thats what I'll get for my new SD F-250. If/when I get it.

Will watch and see what others have to say.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 PM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a herculiner, and it turned out pretty good. I personally think the spray in is the way to go, but since I couldn't afford it, herculiner it is. Only $60 with the mail in rebate. Probably isn't as good as a professional liner, but should hold up pretty good.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:11 PM
modeltford
Junior User
Go with ANY name brand spray on - doesn't create the rust problems the drop in does. Just make sure it covers the inside of the bed completely - even under the rails..

The drop in work fine, but when you get dirt and water under it - and you will no matter how well you take care of it - it sands the paint right off and then rusts!

Old 11-04-2004, 11:31 PM
elt449
Junior User
Herculiner ???? Ok, Never heard of it.. Line-X I've heard of and Rinoliner seem to be the two I have heard more about.

Lets get more input on this..

"02" F-150 FX4
Ext. Cab 4X4
5.4L Ford power

Old 11-05-2004, 04:08 PM
88'7.3F-250
Senior User
I also used the herculiner in my truck. Its a do-it-yourself roll on bed liner. I picked up a can of it at autozone. When I got my truck it had a drop in bed liner. When I pulled it out my paint was in bad shape. I also had surface rust starting.

The Herculiner did okay, It takes quit a while to apply and I don't think I put mine on thick enough. After about a year and a half of good use I've worn a lot of it off. It was, however, cheap and prevented any rusting.

I've seen some trucks with line-x and that stuff seems to hold up real good. It's put on pretty thick too.

Old 11-06-2004, 01:33 AM
macmac
New User
The best products are a spray on bedliner. We suggest going with a High Pressure (Hot Spray) system and staying away from teh colors other than Black. The makers of HP are Ultimate Linings, Line-x and a little w/ Rhino. The best product is definently the ones sprayed by independent businesses. Often times they even purchase products from us to get better quality than the franchizes. http://www.sprayonbedlinersdirect.com

Last edited by macmac; 11-06-2004 at 01:35 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 02:15 PM
SirHailstone
Elder User
Originally Posted by macmac
The best products are a spray on bedliner. We suggest going with a High Pressure (Hot Spray) system and staying away from teh colors other than Black. The makers of HP are Ultimate Linings, Line-x and a little w/ Rhino. <snip spammage>
I got a price today on my F-150 Heritage for a Rhino liner - $450 with color matching, $350 for black. I've not gone to Line-X to see what they would charge. I'm figuring right in that same range.

Old 11-06-2004, 09:38 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
LINE-X and Rhino differ quite a bit. The biggest difference is that LINE-X contains polyurea and Rhino does not. Polyurea enhances the bedliner’s properties: 1. LINE-X's temperature tolerance is 250 degrees and Rhino's is 175. As the temperature of the bed approaches the temp tolerance, it loses its strength. 2. Polyurea keeps moisture out of the solution thus making a more dense and solid liner. Less moisture also means better adhesion. 3. Polyurea also makes for a harder liner. The tear strength of LINE-X is 304 pounds per linear inch (pli). Rhino is 145 pli. 4. Polyurea sets up very fast, that's one reason why LINE-X goes on with heat and high pressure. LINE-X dries in about 4 seconds, so you get an even application throughout the bed. Rhino takes a minute or so to even gel, an hour or so to dry. Before it gels, gravity can pull the liner from the top ridges in to the low valleys. Rhino’s Tuff Stuff goes on cold/low pressure and thus has that “cottage cheese” or “rain on the windshield” look. LINE-X’s high heat/high pressure system gives it a very nice finished and more consistently applied texture, it’s sort of like an orange peel. The dealer can vary the texture from smooth to very rough. 5. Polyurea makes the liner more chemical resistant, especially to organic oils and solvents.

LINE-X is the only brand with a NATIONWIDE lifetime warranty. Rhino's warranty is only with the dealer that sprayed it.

Here is a bit of history: First on the scene were epoxy based products. They were not very durable, they cracked, peeled, etc. Then, ONE-part polyurethane products came along. One-part means that the polyurethane is suspended in a solvent. A catalyst is added which starts a chemical reaction that removes the solvent so that you have just polyurethane left. They were a significant improvement over epoxy based products. Examples of today’s one-part polyurethanes include Herculiner, Duplicolor, Durabak, and Speedliner. The newest technology is TWO-part polyurethanes. Two-part means that a resin (usually a polyol resin) is mixed with isocyanate (a hardener) which renders the polyurethane. Two-part polyurethanes are harder and much more durable than one-part polyurethanes. Two-part polys are used on today’s boats, airplanes, etc. Examples of today’s products that have two-part polyurethanes include LINE-X and Rhino.

Most brands just add pigment to color the liner. Pigmented liners will fade. Most LINE-X dealers also use Dupont Nason paint. Nason paint is an automotive paint and will not fade. If you get a color match, be sure they use Nason paint as well as pigment.
Hope that helps!

Last edited by TruckDaddy; 11-06-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:15 AM
PW01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have had Line-X for two years, and will never use anything else!

Old 11-08-2004, 05:33 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
When I started reading this thread I knew that the hard finish, fine grained Line-X finish looks a lot better than the "chunky peanut butter" finish from Rhino and that I have seen colored liners fade atrociously ... red into a very sickly pink Total agreement with macmac

We recommend and sell Line-X at the dealership where I work. We had our own for a while but went back to the Line-X sublet. The product is superior, now I even understand why ... Thanks TruckDaddy!

Old 11-09-2004, 04:56 PM
ASHES
Junior User
Take a look at this spray on, I've done two trucks so far.

http://www.armorthane.com/

Old 11-10-2004, 08:18 AM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
Armorthane is the same as Rhino. Years ago, two owners spit up, one took the name Armorthane and the other kept Rhino.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:14 PM
macmac
New User
Originally Posted by ASHES
Take a look at this spray on, I've done two trucks so far.

http://www.armorthane.com/
The only problem with Rhino and Armorthane is that their product is unstable. Their color fades quickly and they are still trying to catch up to the Polyurea market. In the mean time Line-x is spraying a low quality polyurea and taking over the market. The independent dealers that can purchase high quality products from www.directliners.com or the like are able to provide better results and stamp their names on the beldiner with pride.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:56 PM
TruckDaddy
Elder User
LINE-X using low quality polyurea? Let me be bold and say you don't know what your talking about. Raw materials are purchased from BASF Corporation. You tell me what company in the W O R L D has better quality than BASF. http://www.basf.com/static/index.html

By the way, I'm a LINE-X dealer and you sell no name bedliner products. There are VERY few companies that actually manufacture the raw materials, where does yours come from? I know you don't manufacture it, so who do you buy it from?

Last edited by TruckDaddy; 11-10-2004 at 04:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Bed Liners, Drop in Or Spray On