1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2000 ford ranger issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 10:24 PM
60f100trk
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 ford ranger issues

I recently purchased a 2000 ford ranger, base model with 43k on it.
I choose this truck for several reasons,
A. I like the look and am a long time ford truck lover
B. Price
C. It was the only truck I had found with vynal seats and floors
its in ok shape few scratches... its used, but does not appear thrashed.
Ive had it now for about 3 weeks and Im pretty much done bonding with it but there are a few things im having trouble getting used to, and Im wondering if they are just the nature of the truck or am I in for some work?

The 5 speed tranny is a bit tough to shift, it shifts reliably but its not real smoothe, feels like a fuller road ranger or somethin H.D., i thought the clutch might be gettin thin. i took it back to the dealer the next day and they looked at it in the shop and took it for a ride, the mech told me the clutch seemed good it seems more like the synchronization is kinda poor, "all these trucks may shift like this, and I dont think its anything to worry about" he wasnt sure cause he had never driven another ranger (i bought this truck from a BMW dealership), so i went against my better judgement and left it alone.

Sometimes when its cold it chirps for a second on startup, im thinking pulley or alternator.

And my worst complaint, the reason i had to vent, i noticed today as i was leaving work, the truck seemed to be tilted down on the drivers side, so i parked i several spots trying to find a perfect flat spot, and yes to truck sags in the driver side rear.
maybe the leaf spring is sagging? or the weight from the fuel tank? i dunno but im not pleased i shoulda just spent the cash and got a Frontier, or Tacoma. Maybe you guys can make me feel better about these issues, maybe there not so bad, but after spending $5800+ tax on a 2000 with 43k im just dissapionted
any tips advise or experiances will be appriciated
thanks
-Sam

Old 11-03-2004, 11:10 PM
RoushRacen
Junior User
Sam,
the belt may be dried out and cracked...easy to check. Both of my trucks(93&01) started to make noise cause of a cracked belt. I replaced them with the goodyear gater belt. It has cross cuts in it to allow it to flex better. The tranny deal, its not a clutch problem but like the guy said it a synchro alignment issue. I've found a product called Synchro Shift made by BG thats made for this kinda thing and used on a friends truck with some very good results. It can be found at a car dealership but not sure about the part stores. Now about the sagging issue...no pun intended. Sorry to say but 80% of the rangers out there have this problem. It stems from the weight balance of the truck..ie driver, fuel tank. To get an idea on how bad it is, measure from the center point of the hub to the lip of the fender. Normal is about a 1/2 inch from side to side. This can be fixed buy installing a small shim above the coil spring. This is if you have a 2wd or adjusting the torsion bars on the 4wds.

hope this helps some.

Doug

Old 11-04-2004, 10:08 AM
60f100trk
Senior User
thanks for the quick reply doug
ive checked the belt that was my first thought it looks like a rather new carquest belt.
should I be having these problems at 43k? just dont seem right, I carfaxed it and resurched to try to avoid this, but i guess not good enough.
-Sam

Old 11-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would change the tranny fluid, make sure you use the specified fluid, It's auto tranny fluid.

I would try cleaning the pulleys if the belt looks good. The idler pulley is easy to change out if needed.

You can swap the leaf springs, that might help with the lean.

The last two things are common problems but overall I bet you'll be happy with the truck in the long run.

Old 11-05-2004, 01:30 AM
60f100trk
Senior User
Ok guys on the positive side i got my first tank of gas tonight (the dealer filled it up the day i bought it) did my milage, and im gettin 22.8 Las Vegas city driving, that makes me very happy . Seeing as how my 75 f-250 does 8 no matter what i do, and the Dodge Ram the Ranger is replacing got 13.
im gunna try draining the fluid and put in some fresh ATF this weekend
type f, or dexron? and how much? i may try one of those additives too.
thanks again
-Sam

Old 11-05-2004, 08:55 PM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe it uses Meron V, check you owners manual.

ONLY ONLY use what Ford recommends and no additives.

Old 11-07-2004, 11:12 AM
knoxnil
Freshman User
Just wanted to let you know there is someone else out there who's has some of the same probems (annoyances). I have a '99 XLT regular cab short box with the 2.5/5-speed manual. I also have a chirp at cold start-up which I always think, I wonder what that is and forget about it till the next morning.

I'm a retired truck driver with 2+
mllion miles so I relate to the Road Ranger thing, I still "kill it" now and then at stop lights and it also has a 2nd to 3rd gear "scratch" if I get too rammy which is a little embarrasing consider how many shifts I probably made over the years driving a semi.

I have a couple teenagers still at home and wanted them to know how to drive a stick,
But don't think this would be a good teaching vehicle.

Now I have to go out to the driveway with my level.

Thanks

Old 11-07-2004, 04:51 PM
RoushRacen
Junior User
Originally Posted by Ken00
ONLY use what Ford recommends and no additives.
Not to step on any toes....

The additives and what a Ford tech recommends depends on the tech.

But ya do what the recommends say, may want to change the fluid and repeat in 5K miles just incase theres some gunk in the tranny.

Old 11-08-2004, 08:44 AM
TBeck2000
Junior User
In my 1994 Ranger, I used to have trouble shifting into gears and I too thought it was the synchros. I got a new Explorer and sold the truck to my buddy who promptly replaced the clutch master cylinder. Apparently fluid was leaking around the seals and keeping the clutch from completely disengaging. The truck now shifts like it did when new. You might look into this if changing the transmission fluid doesn't fix it.

As for the belt noise, a lot of times it's not the belt's fault. Many times, the surface of the pulley needs to be cleaned of debris. The belt may be slipping and squealing, even if it's brand new. Belt dressing on the underside of the belt will help by cleaning the rolling surfaces.

Hope this helps.

-Tim

Old 11-08-2004, 08:30 PM
60f100trk
Senior User
well guys changed my fluid, and no change, i will mention the fluid in it was black as coffe and reaked of electronic components.
anyways ive started to notice the clutch seems very hard to get used to, almost like the engagement spot keeps changin, its almost all the way to the top, and yes ive killed it several times. seems odd cause i learned how to drive on a 1960 f100 3 on the tree, and that was a real tough one to drive.
im gunna look into this master cylindar thing, maybee ill have the girl pump the clutch while i watch the slave and see if its strokes are the same everytime
-Sam