1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

First Diesel; 1996 F-250 7.3L PSD

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 09:22 AM
Nightrain
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Diesel; 1996 F-250 7.3L PSD

Hello everyone. Here in the next few weeks, I am in line to the be the hopefully-proud owner of a 1996 F-250 powered by a 7.3L Powerstroke diesel engine. This is my first diesel, so I need some advice.

The owner bought this truck in 1996 with 8,000 miles on it after an elderly gentleman traded it back in because he decided he wanted a Crew Cab instead of a Super Cab. Since they purchased it, it has been back to the dealer for its reccomended service each and every time. They have all records on it. It has been in the shop once since they bought it and that was in 1997 for the Fuel Pressure Sensor. I think that's a problem spot on the 7.3L's from those years anyway...

Here are some highlights of what they told me on owning a diesel...

The biggest difference they said that I would notice is the fact that I would have to buy diesel fuel and not forget to plug the heaters up when winter rolls around. They did tell me that they have used ether a few times since they've owned it when they would not be near an electrical outlet and be able to plug it in. Is this really a bad thing? I read an article on the internet that said it was harmful for a smaller diesel engine to be started with ether. Is this true?

What are some problem spots on the 1996 7.3L PSD? When I'm looking the engine and transmission over, what do I need to look for? What is the reccomended maintenance schedules on this engine? What kinds of questions do I need to ask the current owner? What changes myself do I need to make to go from a 5.0L gas engine to a 7.3L diesel engine?

I have talked to some people and they have told me that these engines run forever. I have wanted one for the longest and now it seems that I have my chance.

By the way, the truck has 116,000 miles on it and the transmission is a 5 speed. That indicates a ZF5, doesn't it?

I'm in desperate need for advice.

Nightrain

Old 11-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Hope Springs Hauler
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ether is a very bad thing in these motors as they have a glow plug system that will detonate ether before the piston reaches the combustion point. I have a 1996 F350 PSD and I have plugged it in for the comfort of a warm truck but it has also started in 0* weather with only 2 full cycles of the glow plugs.

As far as I know, the problem points are the Clutch and flywheel. Mine went at 128k miles and I replaced it with a LUK Rep Set Single Mass Flywheel. Other than that, All I have done is change fluids and filters. Yes these trannies are ZF5's.