Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2004, 09:49 PM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You never heard of a short stroke inline?

They have better balance thus less weighting of the crankshaft. Its cause and effect. Less reciprocating mass equals higher possible rpms. The cummins has a much longer stroke but can still outspin a PSD. Stroke is a major factor but so is the weight of the crank. The cummins connecting rods and pistons are extremely heavy but will still put up with higher rpms. Perhaps due to less stretching of the conrod.

Old 11-02-2004, 11:22 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LH, sorry I have built to many big stroke and short stroke performance engines. The crank is zero balanced regardless of weight. It all comes down to stroke length. The only reason the cummins can spin higher is because of the strength of the components. Give me better rods I will spin the V8 much higher than you can build the I6.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:33 AM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
I dont know why a person would put a diesel in an old goldie but to every one his own i guess. Personally i think diesels are to expensive to buy and mod out. Why mod a new truck when in a year or two they will be putting out the power you want when they are sold stock, especially the way this war is going now. I just wish gas was down to about a dollar a gallon then i would have nothing but 428's/429's/455's/427's/440's/454's/460's in every old vehicle i own. Wow wouldnt that be nice!

Old 11-03-2004, 02:41 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
BigDaddy, I know people with 1994-1997 PSDs putting out over 1000 ft/lbs of torque. All in all, the amount of money it takes to mod a diesel is much less than a gas engine. There is a lot more potential in a diesel. You can also run a heavily modded diesel on regular diesel fuel, but you can't run a highly modded gas engine on good 'ol 87 octane gasoline.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:42 AM
Logical Heritic
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by tmyers
LH, sorry I have built to many big stroke and short stroke performance engines. The crank is zero balanced regardless of weight. It all comes down to stroke length. The only reason the cummins can spin higher is because of the strength of the components. Give me better rods I will spin the V8 much higher than you can build the I6.
Could you not do the same for the cummins? Shorten the stroke a smidge and bump up the rpms with lighter stronger rods and a lighter piston. Just thinking of the flip side of the coin. I like to think of both sides of the argument.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:41 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Logical Heritic
Could you not do the same for the cummins? Shorten the stroke a smidge and bump up the rpms with lighter stronger rods and a lighter piston. Just thinking of the flip side of the coin. I like to think of both sides of the argument.
Only to a point, but provide you are not going to change the deisplacement, no. Its all about length of throw, piston speed. Sure you could redesign the block to be a big bore, short stroke and pick up rpms but we don't have that option.

With the curent blocks as a base and aftermarket support the V8's will out spin the Cummins. More rpm's means faster speeds. It's and easy equations.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:49 PM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BigDaddy6969
I dont know why a person would put a diesel in an old goldie but to every one his own i guess. Personally i think diesels are to expensive to buy and mod out. Why mod a new truck when in a year or two they will be putting out the power you want when they are sold stock, especially the way this war is going now. I just wish gas was down to about a dollar a gallon then i would have nothing but 428's/429's/455's/427's/440's/454's/460's in every old vehicle i own. Wow wouldnt that be nice!
Look at my sig. I'm in the process of putting a 502 in my 77. When all is said and done I'll have around 8K into it. This is fine for this truck, its a toy that will not see any work.

But the 56 will be a dirve to event show truck and it will have to pull a 22ft airstream behind it. Problem is with a gas motor it is very hard to build perfomance and the ability to tow in one package. Not so with diesel. Sure it may cost more but then again I will also get more power and still be able to tow. In fact it will run dualies when towing and street slicks for show.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:14 PM
dPrasse01
Senior User
BigDaddy ...while I agree to an extent , I have seen some very nice mod-motors in early iron at car shows ...

I've been kind of looking for a 7.3 PD for my 66 pulling truck , if I ever get around to it ...

Old 11-10-2004, 03:33 AM
jrs_big_ford_f150
Posting Guru
I must say that it does come down to personal preference. Wether you want a smooth riding quiet diesel (Chevy) or a decent truck with a lot of grunt and torque (Dodge) or a great truck with a good engine for pullin and gettin around (Ford). It's all a matter of choice.

On the engines, it is a well known fact that a long stroke will give you a lot of oomph. That is why the Cummins has a lot of low end power.

The cummins has been around since 94 I think.
Actually since 89. 94 was when Dodge came out with the new body style and they advertised the Cummins a bit more. The diesel sales for Dodge in 94 were a lot higher than they were in the previous years.

The cummins has a much longer stroke but can still outspin a PSD. Stroke is a major factor but so is the weight of the crank. The cummins connecting rods and pistons are extremely heavy but will still put up with higher rpms. Perhaps due to less stretching of the conrod.
Yes, the Cummins pistons and connecting rod are heavy and quite large. Plus a crankshaft that wieghs in around 175 lbs. The Cummins 5.9 is limited in its RPMs. The 12 valve redline was 3000 RPM, the 24 valve is at 3200 RPM. This is not countin the guys that heavily modify the engine to achieve higher RPMs and power.

Just found this on the web too. A side by side comparison on the internals of a Duramax, 6.0 Power Stroke, and the 5.9 Cummins.

Old 11-10-2004, 03:53 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting pic there. Yah the connecting rods are heavier on the Dodge Cummins no surprise there. 6 rods have to do the work and carry the load. Where as Ford and Chevy have eight to do the same work. So all in all no advantage there. The 6.0 is a good combination off power and torque and off course its in the best truck Ford so why have anything else. Theres nothing faster then a 6.0 on the road today. If your in to drag racing (diesel style) 6.0 is King no ifs and buts about it.

Old 11-10-2004, 06:55 PM
dspencer
Senior User
150Ford
You obviously aren't looking around. There are a number of dodges and one ford(w/cummins) that are in the ten second range. None in fords unless I am mistaken. The fastest psd ford that I have heard of is the 11.78 from David Lott.

Last edited by dspencer; 11-10-2004 at 06:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-10-2004, 07:36 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
But what are the level of mods done to those engines? I'm willing to bet that the Cummins trucks have quite a bit more $$$ sunk into them.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:55 PM
dspencer
Senior User
Sorry FordLariat, please don't take this the wrong way. I was just correcting 150fords comment about 6.0 being king of drag racing. I have no information about how much they spend on them, but I'm sure some pretty heavy dough is spent on any diesel drag truck.

Old 11-10-2004, 07:58 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a case off Ford putting more power to the gound with the torqushift
A V-8 will beat an inlne 6 any day if your in to drag racing. I havent heard a 6.0 getting beat yet. Stock that is. Most sites agree that the 6.0 is the fastest truck out there.

Old 11-10-2004, 08:00 PM
BigDaddy6969
Senior User
At the top of the page it says that the thread is about modded engines. I dont like that aspect though because if you have enough money only god knows how much power these diesels can put out.

Quick Reply: Duramax, Cummins or PSD - Who is the most powerful?