New WVO fuel system design- Could it work ???

Old 10-30-2004, 09:07 PM
fordnut74
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New WVO fuel system design- Could it work ???

I scored myself a bosch fuel pump today that is rated for 52gph @ 150psi , and am planning on using it in a completely seperate WVO fuel system. Well while trying to figure the simplest way to hook up all the plumbing, valves, switches, sensors, relays etc, I came up with an idea to eliminate most all of that. running a dual tandem fuel system. I will leave the factory fuel system just the way it came from ford, except I will add a check valve at each point where the lines go in the head. I will then rig up a similar setup for the WVO using the ports on the back of the heads. I also found a mustang style pressure regulator at the junkyard that has three ports on it. 2 that T at the regulator, and then a return. I will run the veg oil lines from the pump, at the tank, through my big Donaldson, to the pressure regulator, and to the rear fuel ports on the heads. Essentially a dead head type system, like the factory uses. I will set my pressure regulator to 80 psi, and wire my WVO pump so that the nuetral lockout feed will disable it when in park, or nuetral. Now, when the truck is cold, the Oil will be thick and not flow very well, but the #2 will be just fine, and the truck will run on it until the oil gets warmed up. Once the oil gets warm, starts flowing and the pressure exceeds the factory #2 setting(around 55psi), the Diesel will start bypassing back to the tank, as per the factory design, and the truck will continue to run on WVO. The check valves in the diesel lines will prevent the WVO from backfeeding into the diesel system. And similarly, the WVo regulator being set at a higher pressure than the factory regulator will prevent the Diesel from backfeeding the Oil. Cross cantamination solved. Again, when you go to start up in the morning, with the truck in park(or nuetral for manual), the veg oil pump will not be on, only the diesel pump. Then once you begin driving, pwr will be applied to the WVO pump, but it will only begin to run on WVO, once warm enough to flow properly, and cause the diesel to bypass. Now when you are where you need to be, put the truck in park, and the WVO pump shuts off, pressure drops, and the diesel begins to feed the motor again. Simply let the motor idle for a few seconds, and shut it off. I will figure out how long it takes to purge, but shouldn't be long. And even better yet, down the road when I do performance injectors, I will have all the fuel I could ever need. . Allright, please poke some holes in my system, I am all giddy right now, just seems too simple, I must be missing something

Old 10-31-2004, 07:30 PM
TheFrog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just remember Rudolf Diesel designed the Diesel engines to run on veggie oil, it shouldn't be this hard.

Old 02-22-2005, 03:30 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey fordnut, just wanted to revive this thread. I just discovered it on the "other" site. and I TOTALY love the idea and the setup. I will be starting a setup pretty much exactly like yours. but on a '96 with a few corasponding mods for the open system. I will keep it posted how it works up here on the cold side of the nation, 20* outside today.

Diesel Rod

Search this Thread