2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First problem with my truck

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 10:47 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First problem with my truck

Was out getting my snowmobile trailer ready tonight..checking lights and grounds, etc..had no rt turn signal on the trailer...hmmm..bulb is good, wiring is good, get all the way back to the plug on the truck (factory installed trailer tow package) and there's no power to the rt turn (bottom most connector in the plug) connector. Hmmm...gotta be something dumb, right? Well it's not. There is a connector..a big one, up near the spare..it carries all the wires for the rear lights, trailer tow plugs, etc. The green wire is suppposed to be the rt turn, but the orange with blue stripe is the one that is actually flashing 12 volts when the rt turn is on so the harness is wired wrong somewhere up the line.

I hate the idea of allowing the shop tear into a factory wiring harness to fix this. I could easily just run a jumper from the orange with blue stripe wire to the green on the other side of the connector and fix it myself, but I'm not sure I want to do it. It's a leased truck so in 2.5 years I get a new one anyways...what would you guys do?

J

Old 10-29-2004, 10:52 PM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi,
If it were my truck I would take it back to the dealer. Without looking at the schematic, I would be scared to do the "jumper" method that you outlined above. This may energize something further up the line that you don't want to be energized... Say for instance it is grounded further up the line. You would blow a fuse (or melt a wire) everytime you turned right..... Take it to the dealer, this will be covered under warranty.
MK

Old 10-29-2004, 11:05 PM
351M
Posting Guru
Trailer plugs are easy to wire but bottom connector being right turn? I am assuming you have the 7 way RV connector(flat plugs)? If so then I have wired a few trucks for RV's, horse trialers etc. And looking directly into the plug the terminal directly to the right should be the right signal, the one straight across from it on the farthest left will be the left light. I'll see if I can find my diagram of the plugs and put it in my gallery. You could always go and hook to a trave trailer and see if it really is wired wrong too.

Old 10-30-2004, 12:24 AM
plumbguy
Junior User
My 04 150,5.4 just shut off while I was pulling in the driveway, strange..

Old 10-30-2004, 09:02 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 351M
Trailer plugs are easy to wire but bottom connector being right turn? I am assuming you have the 7 way RV connector(flat plugs)? If so then I have wired a few trucks for RV's, horse trialers etc. And looking directly into the plug the terminal directly to the right should be the right signal, the one straight across from it on the farthest left will be the left light. I'll see if I can find my diagram of the plugs and put it in my gallery. You could always go and hook to a trave trailer and see if it really is wired wrong too.
Sorry..this is on the 4 wire flat plug, not the round plug. Bottom wire (green) is rt turn.

Old 10-30-2004, 09:11 AM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mkoser
Hi,
If it were my truck I would take it back to the dealer. Without looking at the schematic, I would be scared to do the "jumper" method that you outlined above. This may energize something further up the line that you don't want to be energized... Say for instance it is grounded further up the line. You would blow a fuse (or melt a wire) everytime you turned right..... Take it to the dealer, this will be covered under warranty.
MK
I agree that it's under warranty. It's just a pain to have to make the appointment, get it there and I'll have to take time off work to wait while they fix it. The orange/blue wire goes only to the other, round 7 wire connector, which I'll never use.

Maybe I'll wait a bit until it's due for it's first service to tie 2 visits together.

Thanks

Old 10-30-2004, 11:04 AM
mkoser
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is a diagram online from Mark's RV page.... whatever.... it has a good drawing of the 7 pin "RV" style plug.
http://www.marksrv.com/wiring.htm

The right turn should be the connector farthest right. I am wondering if your trailer is wired wrong. I know you might say that it used to work fine on another truck, but MAYBE the "other truck" was wired to the TRAILER, not the other way around. My grandpa gave me a trailer once.... It used to work just fine with his truck, then when I pluged it into my truck... I had more lights flashing than the dance floor on Saturday Night Fever... I would print this diagram out, get a mulit-meter, and just make sure that it is not the trailer's fault...
Good Luck,
MK

Old 10-30-2004, 08:15 PM
Biggziff
Posting Guru
Thanks, but I'm past that already. I fixed the trailer wiring and then didn't have rt turn on the trailer. I metered all the bulbs and then went to the wiring at the rt light assembly on the trailer. I had no voltage on the green wire with the truck flashing rt turn. Made my way up the line checking continuity on that wire all the way to the trailer's plug, then checked the flat 4-wire plug on the truck. My truck has the factory installed tow package and it's wired with both the round connector and the flat 4-wire so you can use either. Neither connector has voltage on the rt turn conductor in the plug with the rt turn flashing on the truck. I took the wiring connector apart that feeds all the rear lights and metered it and found the green wire that's supposed to have voltage when the rt turn is flashing has no voltage...instead the orange/blue wire has voltage and flashes a test light when connected so it's definately the truck.

Thanks