6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Engine Idle Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 03:08 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I haven't had a need for the other wires, but you can call the body builders hotline or look on their website. www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas You should be able to get all the extra info. you need from them.
I don't recall seeing 2 stripes on the wire in my truck, but as long as you are above the parking brake, it should be right. There aren't any diagrams that say "blue wire with two yellow stripes". They all only say to look for "blue wire with yellow stripe".

Old 12-25-2004, 07:16 PM
kb1aah
Senior User
Thumbs up

Ok sounds good. I got it figured out today. It was my own fault that it didn't work the first time. I had previously blown a fuse towing a friends trailer and had stole the fuse that feeds the white/light blue wire to replace it. I put a 10 amp fuse back in it this afternoon and it works great now! I'll check out those links tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:18 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Great to hear that it worked. I was racking my brain for what could be wrong and sure didn't want it to be me.......anyhow, glad it works for you. Mat

Old 12-29-2004, 10:34 PM
wb6anp
Logistics Pro
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can you add the upfitter switches to an 05 that doesn't have them?

Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM
offroader4
New User
There is also another controller available from Off Road Engineering for $145. The controller does more then the simle mod. It provides 3 preset RPM levels, one variable RPM level, used with a potentiometer, and one automatic feature that kicks in automatically when the battery voltage drops. It is made for industrial purposes like controlling a pto, but it works great for my purpose. I use a remote start system that triggers the controller. I also use my upfitter switches to select 2 other different RPM setpoints. I also have a power inverter, when I turn it on it also sends a signal to the controller and enables the charge protect feature, kicks in the high idle when I apply a heavy load.
Very happy with it!!!!

2005 F350 6.0 diesel

Old 01-18-2005, 09:39 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
Seems like you actually have a need for more than the single option. Glad to see that you found something that works so well. Most of us however just want a way to bump it up on command, so the simple stuff works, still a heck of a lot better than Ford's AIC. Good info, thanks...... Mat

Old 01-19-2005, 10:16 AM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by me1mckee
OK, as promised I did set up my '04 Friday, but couldn't get on here to tell you all about it. Anyhow.... mine does NOT have the orange wire as the '05's do. The '04 uses a blue wire w/ yellow stripe as an input to allow throttle controls. When installing a PTO, a supplied relay closes the circuit between this wire and a signal input from the white wire w/ light blue stripe from the Body Builder customer access wires above the throttle pedal. This wire is the only loose wire hanging out of this bundle so it is very obvious, also the bundle is marked "customer access wires (see body builder book for instructions)". The blue wire w/ yellow stripe is a little harder to identify because there is a green wire w/ yellow or white stripe just beside of it coming from the same bundle. This bundle is immediately above the parking brake and also contains the customer access wires that pass through the firewall, so be sure to get the blue wire with the yellow stripe ONLY. When installing a PTO, like I said, a relay connects these two circuits when the PTO switch is turned on. However, all of our trucks have the wires and programming just not the hole in the tranny. If you use a simple toggle switch to close this circuit and have all other requirements met; park brake set, foot off brake and throttle, trans. in neutral, etc.... then turning this switch on will set your engine RPM's at 1200. So, I know this looks like alot, but really it took me all of 8 minutes and most of that was switch install and wire connecting. If I could post attachments I would give you some pictures, but alas I cannot. Hope this makes it easier and answers questions for us '04/'03 guys. Mat

thanks for the info, I will try wiring mine up this evening

Old 01-19-2005, 03:27 PM
Daryl Hunter
Cargo Master
I'll be adding this thread to the tech folder in a minute. Also wanted to add some info from Vic Ferrari on the topic:

"Looking at an 05 right now:

Idle speed works as follows:

25 deg celsius and warmer, idle is 650 RPM
15-20 degrees celsius 755 RPM
5 degrees celsius 1000 RPM
Any colder than that idles at 1100 RPM

This is not to assume that ALL 05's are this way....."

Old 01-19-2005, 06:18 PM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Ok, I hooked mine up this evening, found the blue-gray wire with yellow stripe and the white with blue no problem. I hooked them to my switch and it works great. I am not using a lighted switch, so nothing is grounded. However, my truck idles to 1200 regardless of whether the parking brake is on or not. I don't really want it to do this. I was hoping to just leave the switch on all the time so that it automatically idles up when I apply the parking break, but that is not convenient now, since as soon as I put it in park and take my foot off the brake it idles up. Any ideas on what I should do? Do you guys 04's idle up without the parking brake applied? I am stumped. The only thing I can think to do is somehow put a relay in that is actuated by application of the parking brake. Surely there's a wire there to go to the dash to say "brake" that reveives power when the brake is applied. Maybe that's where I need to tie into power for the blue-gray with yellow stripe wire. Hopefully it's something simpler than that though that I've done wrong. I can take pics of my connections if needed. I know without a doubt the white and blue wire is right. I'm not 100% sure about the blue with yellow. It is more of a blue gray. It does, however, look the same as the one in you gallery pic Mat. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I used ti be an EMT and some of our ambulances did this. On some they only went into high idle with the parking brake applied, but others would do it when you put the truck in neutral and took your foot off the brake with no parking brake applied. Its got to be a wiring thing.

Last edited by R1ZOOM; 01-19-2005 at 06:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2005, 07:11 PM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Originally Posted by JimRietz
No. For the Diesel (manual trans [any rpm] or auto trans [higher than 1200]), the Solid Orange wire receives a signal 12v to initiate the high idle. The resistor is connected between PTO_VREF (Orange with Red tracer) and PTO_RPM (Orange with Yellow tracer).

Jim

Based on this information any 12 volt source will work for the diesel on the orange wire, or blue with yellow for us pre-05 owners. Does anyone know if there is a 12 volt wire that is "charged" by the application of the parking brake (i.e. going to the instrument panel to indicate "brake"? This might help solve my problem I described in the post just above this one. Thanks.

Old 01-20-2005, 11:45 AM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
I found a red and a green wire coming from the emergency brake. Maybe I can tie into one of these. I'd still love to know tha answer to my original question about my situation though. Help!

Old 01-21-2005, 08:48 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
I don't know if mine does it without the parking brake set. When I stop my truck, I always step on the park brake and then shift to park. I broke a park pin one time in an older truck and it rolled into my dad's big truck, let's just say I learned that lesson well as a teenager. Anyhow, I know it's supposed to be a requirement, but every truck is different and I see that you have found the wires to the park brake switch. I don't know if it closes a ground signal or is 12 volts hot, but if it's ground you could use the switch for the power and signal power to a relay and the ground from the park brake switch to close the relay and provide the 12V+ to the blue w/ yellow stripe wire.....If your truck is idling up, you have the right wires, any other wires will not work and any 12V+ signal to the blue w/ yellow stripe wire will provide the same effect, the only reason we use the blue w/ white stripe wire is that it is a body builder supplied wire for installing PTO's etc. and it works on ignition power and was in the PTO installation instructions, which made it easy and the location is easy to access and it's an "empty" wire end. There are other options if the park brake switch is 12V+ in and out when closed. I can help you if you let me know what you find in detail. Good luck zoom..... Mat

Old 01-23-2005, 10:07 AM
obxtuna
Senior User
Thanks to me1mckee

Did this simple mod yesterday afternoon and it works great. As a side note, I wired the white wire with blue trace to the blue with yellow trace with a simple toggle between the two. When the switch allows voltage to pass, the truck WILL go into high idle WITHOUT the parking brake set. It seems that there is an interlock which drops the high idle if you touch the brake or go pedal. My truck is an 04 6.0 Lariat 4x4 Supercab with NO PTO option. Truck was ordered from factory.

Thanks for this mod. Great addition for the wintertime warmup.
Always great info at FTE.

Thanks again to me1mckee . We appreciate your input.

Old 01-23-2005, 04:02 PM
R1ZOOM
Senior User
Thanks Mat, I'll tinker around with it a little and post my results when I'm satisfied

Old 01-23-2005, 05:22 PM
me1mckee
Senior User
I checked today, my truck does idle up without the parking brake set also. I guess that the park brake being set is only a requirement in manual trans trucks. Mine will not do it in Neutral whether the brake is set or not. Let me know if it's power or ground that the park brake switch sends and I'll tell you the quickest way to make it a requirement.

Quick Reply: Engine Idle Control