Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Seriously.. 04 F-150 vs Tundra and others, who test drove both

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:19 PM
Suprteck
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seriously.. 04 F-150 vs Tundra and others

I bought my F-150 5.4 engine 3.55 rear end, screw 4x4 in july. I love the truck, and i also am very pleased with the way Ford handles repairs. At 300 miles my truck had a engine knock that wasnt there at start up but became louder and louder the hotter the motor got. Ford was great about everything and after installing 2 new sets of cam phasers and still couldnt solve the problem they put a new motor in the truck. The truck runs great but does have a slight cam phaser knock on the passenger side now that comes and goes. Also has a LT diesel sound that was also present in the first motor.
The prior knock problem sounded like a main bearing failure. Ive owned many recent year trucks chevy 02 Z71 , 02 Dodge Ram and 01 Toyota Tundra just to name a few and have had my share of problems with them all. Getting any of them to even aknowlege a problem was hell especialy Chevy ( Common characteristic of the truck was their response to everything, it was sick).
BUT Ford came right up to the plate and pulled the trigger, i was impressed.

But here is my problem. Ive been reading some negative things here, vibration problems, ( I dont have that yet at 3500 miles) Rear end problems (Not me either yet) sqeaks, rattles, quality concerns like bed thickness and no under fender protection in the rearl etc...

The only actual concerns I have at present are..
1. LT Knock of the passenger side cam phaser.
2. LT diesel sound from otor or exhaust , cant tell but you hear it best standing outside the driver or passenger side doors.
3. Rear auto sliding window gets real slow at times, almost like it will stop.

What are your opinions on my concerns???

Has any one here actualy looked closely and compared the 04 or 05 F-150 to the same year Toyota Tundra, Id be very interested to hear your opinions on which is a better, tougher, stronger, more reliable truck.

just curious on what other Ford owners honestly think.

Thanx for your comments

Last edited by Suprteck; 11-03-2004 at 11:33 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:15 AM
TRITON-ic
Senior User
I have to ask. How can you be pleased? 300 miles and a new engine? You are well composed. I would have been so hot. My opinion is that the truck should be virgin for at least the first 100k.

Old 11-04-2004, 08:03 AM
bimmerbill
Senior User
I test drove the Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra double cab and the Ford F150.

I liked the Titan's drive train and available side air bags (but they made a mistake, IMO, of bundling airbags with every other high end option) and the huge amount of room inside. Also liked all the neat little features the Titan offered (tons of useful storage, fold down front seat, bed liner and rail system, etc). I didn't like the cheapness of the interior and the exhaust rumble. I was concerned about all the problems and issues the Titan was having. Driving the truck was like driving my old Mustang. It sounded like a hot rod, and could really move. I think in another year or two, once the bugs are worked out, this will be one nice truck.

The Toyota was a nice truck. Drove like a car. But it was much more expensive than either the Ford or the Nissan. I was looking at a mid range SR5 doublecab and it was stickered at $32K. For that money you can get a Lariat or the Titan LE. Also, it was much smaller inside. Since I am 6'6" I needed more room inside. You can only get the column shifter, and I wanted a console shifter. I don't think the towing capacity is as high as the other two trucks.

The Ford is what I ended up buying. Good looking truck, nicely finished interior, console shifter. I got a Lariat, pretty much loaded, for $30K. I think the Nissan has more comfortable seats, but I am hoping the Ford's seats break in. Visibility seems much better in the Ford, with the exception of the space between the front and back seats (in the Super Crew). The Titan has some serious blind spots from the A pillars and Big Tow mirrors. This may be different for others, since I am so tall and have the seat all the way back and reclined a bit.

Really, test drive all three. I am like others, if they took the Nissan's motor and 5 speed tranny and stuck it in the Ford, it would rock! It was a very close decision between the Ford and the Nissan for me. This is my 3rd new Ford, so I guess brand loyalty (and the HUGE rebates) is what helped me decide.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:25 AM
morristj2
New User
Test drove and researched just about everything before making my decision on a 04 Screw Lariat (nibble/vide/shudder free for 5K mi).

I personally didn't care for the Titan, except for the drive train/power. The interior was in no way close the the Lariat and seemed cheap in comparison. Besides, if I really wanted to go from 0 to 60 fast, I would by a sports car.

The Tundra was my second choice and a very nice truck. Just drove too much like a car and looked too much like a car to me. Nothing against it, but I have driven nothing but a truck/large suv for 20 years and I wanted to drive a truck. The Tundra didn't feel like a truck until you tried to make a U-Turn it in (way too big of a turn radius).

I spent quite a bit of time researching my decision and a lot of it was done looking at Forums like this one. They were valuable resources and the honest information here about issues, likes and dislikes made me very comfortable with my decision. No new vehicle will be perfect and I expect at some point to have some problem and have something break. It is just a fact of life and auto ownership.

So far I have 5K mi. with no problem and IMO this is the best truck that I have ever driven. I have absolutely no regrets about me decision and I would do it again.

Don't let anyone make you think that the other brands (Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Dodge) are trouble free because there are forums out there just like this that talk about the issues that those owners are having as well. Feel fortunate that the dealer you are working with has been doing their job and being cooperative.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:50 PM
Armada
Senior User
Suprtek:

Don't let you problems turn you away from Ford. Sounds like you have a good responsible dealer that will help you through the new truck growing pains of the '04. These are not uncommon for a new design, although any engine issues should have been resolved long ago, unless they are associated with the variable valve timing in the 3 valve head, which sounds like it might be the case.

I am driving a new Nissan Armada primarily because I had some special needs with the engine and transmission I did not think the 3 valve 5.4L and four speed auto would be able to meet. Unless you have to tow at or near maximum rating, or really need the extra power of the Titan or the Dodge Hemi, the Ford F-150 is probably the better choice over any competing pickup and you should stick with it. I consider it the best "all around" 1/2 ton for the money.

Everyone (manufacturers) have some quality issues, especially in the first year of a new model run, but Ford dealers have been pretty good in addressing them. Your's is the first post I have read that suggests there may be some problems with the 3 valve engines, and your case may just be a rare coincidence rather than an indication of a broader problem.

Hang in there and enjoy your truck. Give the dealer a chance to address your issues. Document things well just in case the problems don't get resolved to your satisfaction.