Computer Chips & Tuners  

Predator-Like performing an engine swap!

Old 11-07-2004, 06:22 PM
SMiller
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The added timing will give you better milage, spark knock is BAD, you better be sure that it really isn't knocking, but the more advanced the timing the better milage, just to the point that you start smoking pistons... Like everyone has said, take it till it knocks and bump it down 1-2 degrees

Old 11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Hmmm even I am starting to get this predator timing thing now. This reminds me of how I used to set the timing on my old fashioned distributors...advance till it pings then back it off till it stops...perfection. I'm going to get either a predator or a chip one day...just gotta keep reading here. And sorry..didn't mean to jihack the thread... you may continue to edumacate me.

Old 11-11-2004, 11:55 PM
yamahonda41
Senior User
No problem Dick, that's what FTE is all about. I too remember the days of points and distributors. Same thing not is just a few button pushes on the Predator plus a LOT more. Get one and see how easy it is.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:29 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
In a way the Predator combines a lot of the following type of "old school" things:

1. Turning the distributor to advance timing.
2. Changing the distributor curve. But, unlike distributors, it can have different curves based on different conditions and driving habits.
3. Rejetting the carb, but with a very fine degree of control that jetting will never give.
4. Shift kit installation, except this shift kit varies depending on throttle position.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:37 AM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Ken when I go into the modify tune area and look at shift possibilities they are set to stock. Are they supposed to be? Like I said b4 no pinging on 87 and the shifting feels the same on the perf tune..I havn't had much time to play with it.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:46 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I just got my Predator yesterday, pulled out the Diablo Delta chip and dumped the program in.

No noticeable difference between the Delta and the Tuner (I wasn't expecting any thing). I've been running 93 octane and my elevation is right around 3300 ft above sea level.

So this morning I decided the bump up the part thottle firmness 2 clicks across the board, and advance the timing to 3 just to start with.

All I have to say is YEE HA!! I about soiled my self! I can't believe how well my rig responded to the tuner (keep in mind I have several bolt on mods, headers, ect). I really raised some eyebrows this morning on the way to work!

Seeing that a few of you guys have your tuner timing advance set at 8, at lower elevations, makes me feel a lot better about my measly 3.

I'm seriously entertaining the idea of taking the truck to the local dyno shop, and seeing what kind of numbers can be had out of my setup.

The only set back is that it will cost me $200 bucks for 3 hrs, but on the other hand it will alow me to get paramters for 91 (available virtually every where) and 93 (available locally).

Old 11-18-2004, 12:17 PM
yamahonda41
Senior User
Sounds like you are having fun there superrangerman2002. I am in FL at Sea Level. I went up 2% increments all the way to 10% and no pinging on my stock 4.6. I am pulling my 5000# trailer this weekend to Northern WV so I will have to see what happens. I will have the Predator with me and logging data. Should be interesting.

I read on FTE forum that if you see the timing dropping off sharply that the spark knock sensor is ratting out to the computer that it is detecting a knock that you may not hear in the cab. The tech at Diablosport told me to bump it until it pings. At your elevation I don't think it will be as quick as mine at sea level. If I understand correctly if it is too lean it will ping. Diablo said that I could compensate for a slight ping by enrichening the mixture a bit.

Keep me/us up to date on what you try and what works and what doesn't. I will do the same after my trip.

Search this Thread