1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 10:41 PM
modeltford
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to check it this morning..... I found the large connector mounted to the side to be breaker panel behind the battery plus 2 round ones also attached to that box. THere was a square one with a grey plug loose on the fender well - but that appeared to be a 2 wire connector that made a loop. Any ideas?

Old 11-06-2004, 10:30 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Model T: The gray connector is most likely your "spout" connector that controls the timing advance. The connector you are looking for is behind the battery - toward the firewall, on the firewall side of the electrical control box and is labelled EEC Connection. There are two "plugs" that should be inside this encasement - one is oval and has six connections and the other is a single connection with one wire to it. The single wire is the one to jumper to ground. Turn the key to "on" - not running, and get ready to count the flashes of the CEL.

The flashes go by fast so be ready and try not to get distracted.

Best of luck.

Russ

Old 11-07-2004, 10:16 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Modeltford, my local Advance Auto will scan the computer any time, CEL or not.

So if you have an Advance Autoparts or other parts store close by, why not call & ask if they will do the scan for you. It's a LOT easier than trying to count the flashes on the CEL or watching a meter.

The local Advance & AutoZone both use the Actron CP9145 scanner referred to by Ranger Russ & it's good.

I have the CP9145 too & it's payed for half it's cost the first time I used it. It also sniffed out an additional problem with my EVAP Emissions System, I didn't know I had. I've seen it on the net for about $50 less than I paid last Dec. If pawpaw can use one, anyone can LOL!!!!

Old 11-07-2004, 05:32 PM
RangerRuss
Elder User
Pawpaw: Glad to see someone else "bit the bullet", bought a reasonable scanner and understands how it can pay for itself over time. I had to buy additional cables for mine so it would work on my sons 93 Saturn and my 93 Ranger but well worth the investment. It is kind of like buying good tools and enjoying them for the rest of your life.

Model T: Have you had any success birddogging your challenge? and, do you still have a Model T? I sold mine last year to a good friend. I had it over 30 years.

Russ

Old 11-08-2004, 06:46 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Well Ranger Russ, pawpaw will have to give all the credit to Santa, as he was looking out for me & brought the Actron CP9150 kit, that has the CP9145 scanner in a case, with all the cables to fit GM, DC & Ford vehicles.

Now I'm on the hook for ALL the familys vehicles.

I'll bet if Modeltford will call around, he'll find an autoparts store that'll scan his computer, it shure is easier than watching that dad gum blinking light or swinging meter needle.

Heck if he were near either of us we could do it for him!!!! Of course, no warranty on the results, would be expressed or implied!!!! LOL

Old 11-15-2004, 02:01 PM
modeltford
Junior User
Hi guys!
Been so busy I haven't even had a chance to check the Forum!!!

I haven't had time to even look - keep getting inundated with honey-do-NOWs!!!! I'll take your advise about looking around for a auto parts that WILL check it - maybe Schucks or Napa will..... unfortunately I'm on the wrong coast to take you up on your offer - awful long way to go!!!

I got rid of my T - was still in parts after 10 years - about a year ago, since I wanted to move on to something a bit more modern and drivable. Looking for a good deal on a 49 or 50 Fordor driver locally.......