Computer Chips & Tuners  

Ford Reprogram or chip?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 06:11 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Reprogram or chip?

I spent some time last year looking into buying a chip for my 2002 Supercrew 5.4 and its seems at first I heard more positive than negative. Lately though it has been the reverse. I don't drag or race the truck and it hardly get over 3000 rpm. I mostly use it for towing my 1700 lb enclosed trailer with a couple of ATV's in it. Even with only a few thousand pounds in the trailer the truck seems gutless. I know th truck has got good power and I think the towing inability is due to the lowsy shifting of Fords, Thus I need to over come that.

I know that putting a after market chip voids warranty if proven to be the problem and if that is the only way to get better results than that is what I may have to do. HOwever I did find out that the local Ford dealer can hook my truck up to there computer and make any changes I want and still maintain the Ford warranty. Does anyone have experience with having this done by Ford and if so how did you like it. Thanks

Chris

Old 10-28-2004, 08:14 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Ford's computer's don't allow them, generally, to make those kind of changes. They generally calibrate the speedo and also can reflash to different PCM codes. Unless... they happen to also sell aftermarket performance tunes.

Old 10-30-2004, 01:12 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Thanks Ken, The ford Reprogram was news to me to also. I called a few Ford dealers when I looked into this and all but one had really no clue. The one dealer was was very knowledgable and appeared that it was something that they commonly did. She said bing the truck down take our guys for a ride and tell us what you want it to do. She said that they may have to do a cople of tunes, the first was for the timing and that there would need to be another tune for the transmission adjustment. She said it would take about an hour or so and the Ford dealer seemed awful confident in there ability to do what I needed. I guess I will give them another try and see what they say.

Chris

Old 11-06-2004, 10:42 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It sounds to me like they are using an aftermarket product, frankly.

Old 11-08-2004, 04:50 PM
ChrisY
Junior User
Ken, you are probably right, I will try to find out more tomorrow, and let you know via PM if you have one.

Chris

Old 11-08-2004, 05:17 PM
Rocky J
Elder User
The fact that your truck rarely gets over 3K rpm even though you tow often might have a lot to do with your poor performance. You gotta wind it up once in a while to keep everything moving the way it should. A chip or reprogram can't change your driving habits though.