Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2004, 11:37 AM
New User

01screw is starting off with a positive reputation.
F350 Front Tire Wear

Hey there, I'm now driving a 04 F350 Dually. The front tires needed to be replaced at 15K miles under warranty due to alignment problems. Now the second set of fronts, with only 9K miles are wearing to the point of needing replacement because the steering wheel is starting to shake again. I was told by one dealer that it's because I tow, that was the first dealer that I went to the first time the tires were replaced, which I think is BS, and the other dealer said all F350 dually's wear front tires out quickly, but 9,000 miles? Anybody have the same problem. Thanks
Old 10-28-2004, 02:24 PM
Elder User

moebdick is starting off with a positive reputation.
Even a middle-of-road tire ought to go more than 9K miles. Shaking steering wheel? Sounds like you still have front end issues to me. What was done to "align" it before? What kind of tires are they? 2x4 or 4x4? What are you towing?
Isspro EV2 Gauges: Fuel, EGT, Rear Axle — ScanGauge II watching EOT, ECT, TFT, MAP, ICP, Volts — B&W Turnover Hitch — Tekonsha Prodigy — Dieselsite Coolant Filter — Bulletproof EGR Cooler — A.R.E. LSX Tonneau — Fumoto — Husky Floor Mats
Old 10-28-2004, 02:52 PM
New User

01screw is starting off with a positive reputation.
I'm running General Ameritracs which the truck came with from the factory originally. The first dealer I went said there was nothing wrong with the alignment and and the irregular front tire wear was do to towing. I tow a 28' tow hauler that when fully loaded weighs around 9,000 lbs. This is the same trailer I towed with my F150 Supercrew (very carefully) with no irregular wear after 36,000 miles so I didn't believe that. The second dealer I took it to the next day said that there was an alignment issue and it was corrected and the tires were replaced under warranty. Now the steering wheel is starting to shake mildy now which just started and the irregular wear is starting to show. The second dealer told me that it's "just the way it is" with a dually.

Last edited by 01screw; 10-28-2004 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 08:18 PM

rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.rvpuller has a very good reputation on FTE.
Front tire wear on a dually is not normal, I would call the Ford Customer service line and explain your problem, they will find a dealer that knows how to align the front end. Not all shops can handle a dually on there machine.

Denny
Retired 2000 F350 Lariat SC DRW V10 4.30 Gears BrakeSmart
Air Lifts 4X2
http://www.ford-trucks.com/guidelines.html
Old 10-29-2004, 09:58 AM
Junior User

phil350 is starting off with a positive reputation.
My fronts needed replacement on my at DRW at 27k when I traded it in. I think it was because rotating was difficult and I did not do. I towed a lot. The 9k seems rediculous and indicitve of some other probelm to me.
Old 10-29-2004, 10:40 AM
New User

Jeansbond is starting off with a positive reputation.
O1Screw... I am a new user of a 05 F350 SRW... so I can't speak from any experience about the specific vehicle... but I was for many years a brake and suspension mechanic. Generically, there is no reason for your inordinate tire wear, and assuming you're loading the rig properly with your towing configuration, the wear while towing should be little different than otherwise. Alignment, as has been noted above, is critical to proper wear. Also make sure all links, connections, bushings, ball jounts, tie rod ends, etc., are within spec... tight and with no more vertical and lateral play than factory tolerances. The amount of "toe-in" is the alignment spec most affecting tire wear, which if off will cause wear on the inside or outside edges with out of spec toe out or toe in, respectively. Next the "camber" (tilt of wheel/tire assembly off vertical) is impactive, but also generally causes wear on the inside or outside of the tire depending on out of spec negative (tire leaning in at top) or positive (tire leaning out at top), respectively. Because you also have front wheel shaking, which can be caused by out of spec "castor" (this is the angle of the axis upon which the assembly rotates when turning either way from straight ahead, much like the axis formed by the forward rake of a motorcycle front fork).

Most often, though, wheel shake is caused by imbalance of the tire/wheel assembly... up and down shake from "static" imbalance, where one side of the unit will fall to the bottom if left to it's own equilibrium when suspended on a freely moving axle... and side to side shake from "dynamic" imbalance (the correction of which is often marketed as "high speed balancing"). Visualize this imbalance condition by thinking of a tire/wheel assembly with a chunk of lead the size of a brick at one spot on the outside sidewall. As the tire rotates, the brick tries to follow the center line of rotation, oscillating to the left when at the front half of rotation, and to the right when at the rear half of rotation, thereby causing the steering wheel to go left and right at the same frequency as that of the rotation.

Lastly, a more obscure cause of your problem might be due to "radial run-out" (commonly called "out of round") of one or both of your tire/wheel units. Since the problem has persisted through more than one set of tires, I'd look closely at the wheels. This problem causes uneven tire wear, particularly cupping, can cause the same shaking as both static and dynamic imbalance, and gets worse as time goes on due to the fact that the most wear on a tire occurs at the point of the tire's smallest radius.

Hope this gives you a little help as you play Sherlock Holmes to find the problem.

Vic
Old 10-29-2004, 06:12 PM
New User

biljo99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01screw
Hey there, I'm now driving a 04 F350 Dually. The front tires needed to be replaced at 15K miles under warranty due to alignment problems. Now the second set of fronts, with only 9K miles are wearing to the point of needing replacement because the steering wheel is starting to shake again. I was told by one dealer that it's because I tow, that was the first dealer that I went to the first time the tires were replaced, which I think is BS, and the other dealer said all F350 dually's wear front tires out quickly, but 9,000 miles? Anybody have the same problem. Thanks
I've got just over 20,000 "towing" miles on my 2003 F350 dually and tires don't look like they've been hardly worn. I did rotate them all at 18000 miles.
Old 10-30-2004, 06:33 AM
Posting Guru

SRD4X4 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I do alot of Alignments for a local dealer because there machine can't do crew cabs or dually's. Have found that 99 percent of all new trucks have between 1/4 to 3/8'' too much toe-in from factory.See alot of tires worn-out in 15-18,000 miles(6-8 a week) . Most are from never rotating and underinflation.Should rotate every 5-6 k. and run as much air as poss.,65-70 psi. atleast in a 10 ply tire and 55-60 in an 8 ply. if not max which should be 65 psi in an 8, and 80 in a 10 ply.this will cut down on flex in tire and help eliminate alot of "cupping" or "heel-toe" wear.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Senior User

dillehay is starting off with a positive reputation.
SRD4X4 what shop do you work for? I am near you and need my 2003 F350 front end checked out?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Post Fiend

99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
My thought are too much toe in as camber being off doesn't wear fast. I think the spec's are almost straight ahead on these trucks..

Dick
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 09-21-2012, 03:31 PM
New User

GeeStooks is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello all, This is my first posting. I have an 02 F350 4WD And I also have the alignment problem. I do tow some but mainly use the truck as a daily driver. My truck has been on the alignment rack twice just for them to say that My truck was fine. One of them went as far as to say that if I installed the steel wheels that my problem would go away. I keep my air pressures on 80psi on 10pr tires. And rotate and balance every 5000 mi.
Now I do have a question. would I be able to go from the 170mm bolt pattern and go to the 200mm with the factory aluminum 17" to eliminate some of this? Or am I wasting a bunch of time and money?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:04 PM
Elder User

02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.02TB250 has a great reputation on FTE.
www.facebook.com/Smitty1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeStooks View Post
Hello all, This is my first posting. I have an 02 F350 4WD And I also have the alignment problem. I do tow some but mainly use the truck as a daily driver. My truck has been on the alignment rack twice just for them to say that My truck was fine. One of them went as far as to say that if I installed the steel wheels that my problem would go away. I keep my air pressures on 80psi on 10pr tires. And rotate and balance every 5000 mi.
Now I do have a question. would I be able to go from the 170mm bolt pattern and go to the 200mm with the factory aluminum 17" to eliminate some of this? Or am I wasting a bunch of time and money?
This would not be possible as far as i know without changing the actual hubs on the truck. The bolt pattern has nothing to do with rim size.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 PM
New User

Yes I thought about changing diffs that has the 200mm bolt pattern. Ford does have the 17" wheels in both patterns and I have an opportunity to make a purchase of a new set of take offs from a local dealer. But I donot want to go through the trouble if it will not solve the problem. I am still running the factory 16" aluminum wheels. If the alignment guys would shoot me the alignment specs that they go by vs the factory's way that would be helpful too. Thank you for your reply.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Post Fiend

99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.99f350sd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have 55 in front and 45 in the rear unless loaded. 80 psi is way too much air in the tires. Must ride like crap. The wheels you have on the truck need to have the correct backspacing etc for that truck. Other than that the 99-04's don't wear tires fast usually..Make sure you have good shocks.

Dick
USAF 76-80
CX500 TURBO ORIG OWNER
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM
New User

Thanks Dick, I see that you are not too far from Waterbury, I have been at GMCR In TN for 4 years.
I have 10ply tires on my truck max out at 80psi. If they go down to @ 65psi Starts to look like a car tire does @15psi. Really low. Everything as far as the truck is concerned is still all factory. no suspension mods at all. I will revisit my shocks as you suggested. My truck is a long bed 4door dually ride is not to bad.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:12 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty

Tags
1999, 2000, 35, axle, cupping, dually, f250, f350, ford, front, inside, shaking, tire, tires, wearing