1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

That annoying door chime is finally quiet!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:05 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
A four year old thread!
I like to remove the connector and save it for later, so that I can restore it to factory without the use of butt connectors.
Cut the wire if you want. It will be the same thing as pulling the connector out of the housing.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:10 PM
SolidGround
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just proves you old guys are still needed in our young world!

Old 10-10-2008, 09:57 PM
cowboylukas
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cut the wire if you want. It will be the same thing as pulling the connector out of the housing.
This would not disable the dinging when the lights are on, ignition off and door open, correct?

Old 10-10-2008, 10:01 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
A four year old thread!
I like to remove the connector and save it for later, so that I can restore it to factory without the use of butt connectors.
I used this thread in April of 2005!

Old 10-10-2008, 10:05 PM
cowboylukas
Junior User
Sorry to bring the thread back guys! I just love the search option anytime I have a problem or need to do something almost always someone else has dealt with it.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Orezona
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cowboylukas
Sorry to bring the thread back guys! I just love the search option anytime I have a problem or need to do something almost always someone else has dealt with it.
The Search Option is your friend. It's amazing how many don't use it.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 AM
cowboylukas
Junior User
I cut the wire...no more door chime. I had one problem when putting the key/tumbler back in...the ball bearing thing that you push in to pull the assembly out fell out. I could not get it back in there. After messing around with it for about 20 minutes I decided I could get away without the ball thing, and just remember next time to push around a little more with the screw driver to get it out. So if anyone else tries this mod just be careful when pulling it out and putting it back in not to bump the ball thing.

Old 10-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Orangecrest
New User
Thanks for the Seat Belt Tip Kwik!! For some reason my seat belt chime just started dinging, driving me nuts. I couldn't find the fuse and found your post, went and unpluged the connection below the seat, and whalla! No more dinging! Thanks!!

Old 10-04-2009, 11:55 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

And good use of the search button. Don't be afraid to ask questions here.

Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
We gotta' love someone who did his homework by searching the site for the solution to his problem, fixed it, and came in to let us know of his success!

Thanks, Orangecrest, for reporting in. And now, stick around! There's lots more to learn here about your truck!

Pop

Old 10-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Orangecrest
New User
Thanks for the warm welcome, you bet I'll be around! I am to cheap to turn it over to a mechanic,

I will probably wear out this search feature... Have a great day!

Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 791 Likes on 603 Posts
Originally Posted by Orangecrest
Thanks for the Seat Belt Tip Kwik!! For some reason my seat belt chime just started dinging, driving me nuts. I couldn't find the fuse and found your post, went and unpluged the connection below the seat, and whalla! No more dinging! Thanks!!
You're welcome, and thanks for letting us know how it went.
And welcome to FTE.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 AM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Thanks Guys. Got rid of a couple chimes this morning. I did just cut that black and pink wire.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:00 PM
CampSpringsJohn
Hotshot
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Got rid of a couple chimes today thanks to you guys!

Old 11-16-2009, 12:29 AM
mitey SnoBird
New User
I hate big brother telling me my lites are on

I really hate the dummy chimes period. They drive me insane!

My fix is to kill the messenger directly! I locate the chime itself and rip it life out directly by the throat! On the 99 350 td cc the chime is located inside the GEM module attached to the upperside of the fuse panel which is just above the hood release.

remove the four screws attaching the fuse panel

remove the 2 side plugs by depressing the center tab/catch and tugging firmlly

remove the two main power harnesses on top side of fuse block use a 10mm 1/4 drive socket.... you may have to be an acrobat to get at the blind bolts located topside center....but they are there and the harnesses will slowly unscrew.

once all the plugs are out jimmyjack the block out from under dash...space is tite...be patient. possibly remove the big relays to gain more ease of movement.

once to workbench unclip the black box (this is otherwise known as a GEM module) cover on topside of fuse block, also remove 2 small hold down screws. Treat this circuit board with great care and respect.

There are 4-6 tiny screws securing the cirsuit board to the case...remove them and carefully lift up forwqrd edge of board and you will see the smal black piezo plastic chime inside the round well area.... DO NOT force the board more than a half inch upward!

look at the chime and notice there are two solder pins that attach it to the board.

You have 2 options here...1: snip the wires withha micro saw or 2: use a solder iron to release the 2 legs.

Once you drop the chime out of the solder holes.....simply lift the board up just enough to wiggle it out...toss that sucka onthe ground step on it or shoot the thing with a 44 mag! It will never bleep again at cha...

Now put everything back in reverse oder sans the nasty little ding donger.

Drive forever more in peaceful bliss.

I have yet to encounter any ill effect of tampering with the circuitry in this way.

Quick Reply: That annoying door chime is finally quiet!