2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.4 sounds like diesel ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

When I brought my FX4 SCREW in for the slip yoke lube, my service mgr. was happy to hear it wasn't someone complaining about the "Diesel" noise. He said that was what most people were complaining about. I don't know what engines most of you have, but he said that it was a normal noise for the 3 valve Triton engine. The noise is no big deal. You should hear the noises the motor on my Harley makes, and I'm not talking about the pipes.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:34 PM
edman04
Senior User
No it never sounds like a diesel. A diesel sounds like a coffee can full of marbles. You better take that truck in to the dealership.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:51 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
synthetic

When synthetic lubricants are used, any small imperfection on the internal
parts such as a little tit, small raised areas,etc will file down over time to a smooth finish, as where dyno is used the little pieces just break off. plus synthetic handles extreme pressure, is shear stable and flows better at
freezing temps,resists pre mature breakdown from heat. Sure, its superior to dyno.

Old 10-29-2004, 08:14 AM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Plumbguy -You'll never see the gain other than extended drain intervals. Especially if you drain the DINO/synth blend at the recommended intervals.You cannot convince me imperfections will be corrected by using synthetic! Don't think any manufacturer will make that claim. Nor is there any data to substanstiate the claim. DINO oils today are so far advanced as opposed to a couple of years ago. That's why engines can now run DINO 5w 20 weight oils, the lubricating properties have advanced along far enough to allow modern engines to run with this low vis oil, and still be protected. It's even closer with synth blend dino oils. I am not disputing that synthetic has better shear etc. But I am disputing a fix it in a bottle. As I said the only gain one will see is change intervals. The average auto owner does not keep vehicles long enough to say that a vehicle running synthetic will run more miles than one that runs a synth blend!

Last edited by KevinM; 10-29-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:30 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
Synthetic oils provide less friction which equals smoother operation which equals longer engine life, I wasnt saying that synthetic oil corrects anything, The parts just wear better, You dont think im just making it up do you? there is extensive testing to back it up, Im not trying to sell you on synthetic, You can use what you want. Also chevrolet has reconized extended drain intervals utilizing synthetics, as a matter of fact chevrolet no longer has recommended drain intervals when using synthetic. Synthetic is better than dyno anyway you slice it, it just does not compete, Its apples and oranges, sure, If you change your oil every 3000 miles using dyno youll be fine, but compare it to a engine using syhthetic oil that has been broken down and measured for wear tollerances, that will tell the story.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:36 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
How did this thread turn into another " amsoil" thread?

Old 10-29-2004, 02:45 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
curious minds??

Old 10-29-2004, 02:53 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
Plumguy,Your quote: Reads like a fix it in a can theory:
"When synthetic lubricants are used, any small imperfection on the internal
parts such as a little tit, small raised areas,etc will file down over time to a smooth finish, as where dyno is used the little pieces just break of."

As I said in my previous post, if the drain intervals of dino is kept to the manufacturers recommended drain interval, you will not have the vehicle long enough to say that one engine has demonstrated less wear than one on synthetic. The average trade in is 3 to 5 years, not enough mileage to show any significant difference. If you think the lubricity of synthetic is that much more then compared to today's synth blends, you are not reading the data too well. I agree the shear strength is more but not enough to warrant any significant engine wear difference in 50 to 100K miles of a vehicle that has been maintained properly.

Now as far as Chevrolet, don't they have major problems of piston slap? Don't know if that is a good example.

BMW uses synthetic for one reason, extended change intervals. The onboard system monitors driving habits and translates that into maintenance interval, Therefore since synthetic has longer change intervals it will offer more protection since an oil change may not happen till 20,000 miles.

You will not see any gians in Mpg, or engine smoothness. The Dino synth blends are not that far off the scale as compared to full synthetics!

Old 10-29-2004, 03:09 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
I'll let it rest after this, But once again Im not saying that its a fix, Not sure how you arived at that assumption, The TBN thru oil analysis is where I get my facts, Syn blends dont impress me, I dont trade cars constantly, and for the fact that vehicles these days cost 30k plus I want all the protection I can get, I would rather have full synthetic in my engine if I broke a radiator hose causing the engine to shoot up to 211 degrees than I would a half synthetic that you would be scraping off like putty,
whats the purpose in a half synthetic, thats like half a car, half the protection. I choose synthetic for its proven ability to outperform dyno or half breed oil, Most people dont know one oil from another and probobly dont care,
I have the knowledge to know something better exists so I use it, your average joe is just fine with quaker state. To me an oil that flows normally at 30 degrees belowe freezing is better, An oil that withstands shear is better, an oil that does not break down under heat stress is better, and oil that greatly lessens friction is better, an oil that has a TBN that doesent drop like a rock is better, why do you think that synthetic oil is not recommended for older engines, its because it flows far better into the nooks and crannys for better lubricity, the tolerances in older engines cant support it. Synthetic oil doesent cause piston slap in anything. Knowledge is power.

Old 10-29-2004, 03:25 PM
KevinM
Posting Guru
I will also, but just for the record here is the shear vis and vis index for Pennzoil synthetic vs Synth blend:

5W-20
Synthetic - High temp shear vis - 2.64, Synth blend high temp shear- 2.7.
Vis index
Synthetic - 168 Synth blend - 154

Think that says it all:

Old 10-29-2004, 03:35 PM
plumbguy
Junior User
How does it rate against amsoil? Thru high speed ring and pinion tests.

Old 10-29-2004, 06:43 PM
x-star
Freshman User
Originally Posted by gpeade
Coolcat I Have Thought The Same Thing Several Times Also. But I Have Not Heard A Rattle I Just Notices Sometimes On An Easy Acceleration It Had A
Sorta Diesel Tone To It. Maybe I'm Crazy! Maybe I'm Just Wishing It Was.
I Think I'm Just Crazy.
You type every word with the first letter Caps. Strange.....Maybe you are crazy?!?!?!

Old 11-01-2004, 08:31 AM
gpeade
Elder User
X-star That Is Wierd. I Had Not Noticed That And Sure Don't Know How I Did That. I Usually Type Everything With The Caps Loc On Because It's Easier To Find The Keys As I Pluck Along With 2 Fingers!
Man This Thread Sure Get Sidetracked! From Engine Noise To Oil To Typing Skills.
Ya'll Have A Great Day

Old 11-01-2004, 08:34 AM
gpeade
Elder User
NOW I SEE HOW IT WORKS. AS I AM TYPING EVERYTHING IS IN CAPITALS BUT FOR WHATEVER REASON WHEN I SEND MY REPLY IT SHOWS UP LIKE THIS.
WHATEVER

Old 11-01-2004, 08:35 AM
gpeade
Elder User
That's Even Wierder. It Didn't Do It That Time

Quick Reply: 5.4 sounds like diesel ?