Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

truck shopping... Ranger, Dakota, F-150

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Zoltrix
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck shopping... Ranger, Dakota, F-150

Lets see how I can discribe this situation. Im currently still in Highschool, working the clasic Min. wage job. I have a 10-12 grand canadian budget for a truck, one of those "ill buy you a truck for graduation" from your grandma sorta things... So the initial purchase of the truck will be fine, I need to cover the obvious Gas, insurence and repairs after the purches on my own.

Im driving a f-150 as of now, and every time I fill up I almost cry at the pump, 65-70 for a full tank of gass. But hell, I love that beast, holds all your friends, has the canopy on the back, sleeps myself in the box, plus two others, then two can sleep in the cab, even three if you wanted to. But, its the gas thast getting me to (and a few repairs that Iv been putting off, dam Cat needs replaced)

So I went testdriving today, trying to narrow down my options, I wanted something smaller, more fule efficent because im still in school, and next years post Sec. and moneys always tight for that. So I was thinking the Ranger, (test drove a 01 edge extend cab) and its nice... small, box is large enough that i could sleep there, and maybe one other.. but its a small interior, (obviously). Cant seet the six the f-150 can... 3 comfertably... 5 would be a long trip...

Went down the street and looked at the dodge dakota's not to bad, a NICE looking truck, I will give it that... but I was sitting in the backseet and its supposed to seat 3 on the bench.. Im 6foot+ and dam it was uncomfertable! I laid across the back to get comfertable... (on a side note, the 5.9 RT is a dream to drive).. but in all reality, it only seets 2 comfertably, the three in the back would have there knees up to there chins :P

And I still have the f-150, a great truck, all around, holds a tone of gear, and hauls 6 comferably.. not a problem with that.. just the gass...

So.. what do I chose.. is the comfert of my budys important? Or is the price more important to me..

As I reread this post, It seems to just help me sort out my thoughts on this issue...

Hard choice for me to make..
love the f-150, hate the gass
Ranger dosnt hold alot of buddies, but is alot $$ on gass..
and the dodge looks amazing, but almost as high on gass and comfertable for only two..

I guess everones opinions would help my decision, sorry for rambling on and the horiable spelling... just the way I am..

Old 10-24-2004, 08:09 PM
Brons2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The milage on the Ranger is not as good as you might think. You may as well keep the 150 and use the money to pay for gas. Or beer, or something. Anyways, in real world usage the 4.0 in the Ranger will barely crack 20 mpg. The F150 I just traded off that had the 4.2 V6 and a stick got 17-18. Not enough difference to get me in a small truck.

Old 10-24-2004, 08:30 PM
Zoltrix
Senior User
Im even thinking of that option, Spend the money needed on the 97f-150 I have, Fix the exhaust, new tires.. blah blah, and see if I can just keep whats leftover for gas, im sure that would keep me going for a fewwwwww months..

but I would like a newer vehicle, lower KM.. wont have to worry about breaking down as bad.

Old 10-24-2004, 09:21 PM
biggieou
Elder User
Look at Mazda's B Series, same truck as the Ranger, but w/a better warranty. The 3.0 will get 21+MPG's

Old 10-24-2004, 09:23 PM
'961506
Elder User
How many miles are you runnin on your 150? What engine does it have? Stick or Auto? I'm just wonderin about a few things heres.

Old 10-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Armada
Senior User
Have you considered a good used Ford Explorer with the six cylinder engine in your price range? It will hold you and several buddies, has a closed in back, etc., gets somewhat decent mileage (all things are comparative), would have good reliability and you can get parts for them anywhere. It's not a pickup, but unless you need a full length bed, you'd be surprised what you can stuff in one of them. With the right tires you don't need four wheel drive. Lots of them out there, should be able to find one in your price range.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:48 AM
Zoltrix
Senior User
Never thought about getting an SUV, but whats turned me away befor was the Insurance diffrence between and SUV and a pickup. I belive it can be upto $500 a year because of my lack of a driving record (under 10 years, so no discouts... ).

I never looked at the mazda, I belive the reason was is because the budy (salesman in a diffrent industry) was not able to get mazda's at wholesale pricing.. I could be wrong, and ill bring that up next time I chat with him.

The f-150 is a 97 4.6, auto, with just under 145 Km..
dont get me wrong, I love that beast, you know your safe driving it, if you **** somone off in traffic, 9 outa 10 times they drive alittle car like a civic and leave you alone :P, but still crying payin $65 cnd for a full tank a gass when Im making min. wage going to school full time and plan to for the next few years...

I just dono what to do, want to make the decision that I can live with and keep a vehicle for a good 5+ years, even 10...

But I think iv talked myself out of the dakota.. nice looking.. just not roomy in the back so its usless, and its got the same milage as the f-150 (give or take)...

Just rambling like this slowly sorts things out... every bit helps

Old 10-25-2004, 07:28 AM
TheFrog
Senior User
Don't buy the F150 for mpg.
The 4.6 ltr V8 is the best engine for mpg, and it only gets 19-20. I'd go with a ranger with a 3.0 liter V6 and force you friends to drive there own cars.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:31 AM
TheFrog
Senior User
Also, if you do look at the dodge, the Ram gets better gas milage than the Dakota. (In most cases)

Old 10-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Zoltrix
Senior User
When I was looking at the Ranger, I was testing it out with friends inmind, climed in the back jumper seat, and had my uncle on the other side.. yeah its posible, but then he had to pop "Get your hand off my knee".. its a tight fit, and if they really want a ride, they can live with it i guess, didnt get three across the front, but I can imagin it also being tight.. especialy if you have a larger person in the middle..

Didnt know the RAM gets better milage then the Dakota, but the more I look at the dakota it comes off as a "rich kids" truck, and I think thats true.

Dose anyone feal the 3.0 Ranger to be underpowerd compared to the 4.0, I drove a 4.0 when I was testing (it had some problems, but gave me an idea of what I was looking at), but I probably dont need the power... I guess I need to test a 3.0 in my travels.. dam, wish I knew how to drive stick too.. that could save me mpg..

Old 10-25-2004, 07:08 PM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
I'm happy with my Ranger. When I got it it was a toss up between it and an F-150. I chose the Ranger because it does a lot better on gas. I get up to 22 mpg on the highway (before mods), where I'm guessing most F-150's would be at best 17-18 with V-8's. I know my boss's 99 5.4 gets about 16 with 3.55 gears. Don't even consider the 3.0 IMO, it doesn't do much better on gas than a 4.0 and has no power in comparison, especially if you're going to be hauling several people around a lot. I don't really like Dakotas, get horrible mileage and not much more room inside than a Ranger eeven though they are wider and longer.

Old 10-25-2004, 09:03 PM
Zoltrix
Senior User
Im tempted to give the salesman a call that let me test drive the 01 4.0 Ranger edge, what I would really like to do is see if it fits my lifestyle.. I wonder what they will say to a weekend long test drive? Swap the keys to the f-150 for the Ranger..

I can see him laughing in my face...

Old 10-28-2004, 04:16 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
What about an Explorer sport trac you can fit you buddys in that or a extra cab ranger. I love my ranger its very reliable and it is decent on gas for a truck.

Old 10-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Armada
Senior User
Might want to get another insurance quote. I'm not aware of any reason that a used Explorer would cost more to insure than a comparable F-150. You can save some dough by giving yourself a higher deductable on your collision coverage too. Not trying to push an SUV if you want a pickup, but that insurance difference just doesn't seem right.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:36 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
FWIW, I would keep your existing rig, it couldn't be getting all that bad of mpg for a F-150, and prolly not much worse than a Ranger or Explorer.

145000 km is barely broke in for a 4.6l.

I'd fix up the minor stuff, and bank the rest of the money.

Quick Reply: truck shopping... Ranger, Dakota, F-150