1989 Ford Bronco II

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 01:26 PM
Laura Smith
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1989 Ford Bronco II

Hi,

My antifreeze keeps disappearing. It is not being sprayed anywhere that I can see. I have had my heating core changed, my head gaskets were changed as well....there did not seem to be a crack anywhere. None seems to be going in my oil. I have had a new transmission, gas tank and fuel pump. I need to find what is causing this as it cost me each time I have a mechanic look at it. The owners manual does not tell me.

Thank-you
Laura

Old 10-26-2004, 02:11 PM
kc0rey
Senior User
Originally Posted by Laura Smith
Hi,

My antifreeze keeps disappearing. It is not being sprayed anywhere that I can see. I have had my heating core changed, my head gaskets were changed as well....there did not seem to be a crack anywhere. None seems to be going in my oil. I have had a new transmission, gas tank and fuel pump. I need to find what is causing this as it cost me each time I have a mechanic look at it. The owners manual does not tell me.

Thank-you
Laura
The 89 has the better heads but you may still have a crack. If it is not running badly or overheating, I would just keep an eye on your coolant level and run the wheels off of it.

Old 10-26-2004, 02:17 PM
BumpinB2
New User
Approximately how much is being lost? Have you had the radiator drained lately? If so, it could be that the system wasn't completely filled. If this is the case, you can fill it to where it looks full, but when you check later, it will be low. Make sure it's full (in other words, make sure there is no air in the system). Another idea. Although you said you can't see where it's spraying from, have you taken a look at the freeze plugs? Even if one (or more) is leaking, it won't necessarily spray it all over the place. Those are all my ideas for now. Of course, those are ruling out the idea that it is indeed not leaking internally.

Old 10-26-2004, 09:55 PM
BigBill
Freshman User
Im just curious but where do you notice that it is draining from. Like the overflow or from the radiator?

Old 10-27-2004, 12:44 AM
plilikoi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a coolant leak just after replacing head gaskets (a different vehicle, but that's irrelevant to this story). I couldn't figure out where the heck the coolant was going. My first thought was that I had a head gasket leak since that was what I'd just worked on. However, as best I could tell, there was no coolant in the oil and no coolant in the exhaust. Yet every time after I'd taken it for a drive the coolant would be low. To cut a story short, it turned out that there was a puncture in the pipe that ran from the radiator to the overflow reservoir. When the coolant heated up it expanded and pushed some out of the radiator whence it either spilled on the ground and/or was burnt off the engine, or sent to the overflow reservoir. Most of it evidently went on the ground. When the engine cooled down the radiator would suck in air, rather than coolant, and after it had cooled enough that I could open it the level would be low again.

If coolant is disappearing it is going somewhere. This is one possible explanation for a mysterious coolant leak.

Old 10-27-2004, 09:13 AM
Laura Smith
New User
1989 Bronco II rad leak

Originally Posted by BigBill
Im just curious but where do you notice that it is draining from. Like the overflow or from the radiator?
Hi Big Bill, Thank-you for yr reply. It is the rad that is draining. Even if I go 10 kl the next time I take it out, I would have to put a half (at least) coolant in it. When I had the rad changed, there had been a small leak in the bottom corner. I thought maybe that was it. It wasn't. Laura

Old 10-27-2004, 09:20 AM
Laura Smith
New User
1989 Bronco II rad leak

Originally Posted by plilikoi
I had a coolant leak just after replacing head gaskets (a different vehicle, but that's irrelevant to this story). I couldn't figure out where the heck the coolant was going. My first thought was that I had a head gasket leak since that was what I'd just worked on. However, as best I could tell, there was no coolant in the oil and no coolant in the exhaust. Yet every time after I'd taken it for a drive the coolant would be low. To cut a story short, it turned out that there was a puncture in the pipe that ran from the radiator to the overflow reservoir. When the coolant heated up it expanded and pushed some out of the radiator whence it either spilled on the ground and/or was burnt off the engine, or sent to the overflow reservoir. Most of it evidently went on the ground. When the engine cooled down the radiator would suck in air, rather than coolant, and after it had cooled enough that I could open it the level would be low again.

If coolant is disappearing it is going somewhere. This is one possible explanation for a mysterious coolant leak.
Hi Plilikoi, Thank-you for your reply...not one mechanic has mentioned about the pipe maybe having a leak. I had checked the pipes myself, but not being able to put vehicle on a lift, I could not see anything leaking. Even tho I put coolant in the over flow it as well disappears. You may have solved my problem. I will have all the hose and pipes checked today. Thank-you so much. I am endebited to u if that is the prob as I paid 1800. two years ago and have put 5000. in since. You know dumb blond and mechanic. Have a go day. Laura

Old 10-27-2004, 09:26 AM
Laura Smith
New User
1989 Bronco II rad leak

Originally Posted by BumpinB2
Approximately how much is being lost? Have you had the radiator drained lately? If so, it could be that the system wasn't completely filled. If this is the case, you can fill it to where it looks full, but when you check later, it will be low. Make sure it's full (in other words, make sure there is no air in the system). Another idea. Although you said you can't see where it's spraying from, have you taken a look at the freeze plugs? Even if one (or more) is leaking, it won't necessarily spray it all over the place. Those are all my ideas for now. Of course, those are ruling out the idea that it is indeed not leaking internally.
Hi Bumpin, Thank-you for your reply. It is definitly not leaking internally. I have not only had the rad drained lately, I have had a new one installed. I have to add anywhere from a half liter to two liters...all according to how far I drive and everytime I drive. I have also has new plugs installed in the last two months. Laura

Old 10-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Avanti
Elder User
Check the water pump weep hole. Put a small piece of kleenix in the hole , run the engine and check it later after cooling down to see if it is wet or none white. Some times it is the weep hole. john

Old 10-27-2004, 01:47 PM
plilikoi
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Laura Smith
Hi Plilikoi, Thank-you for your reply...not one mechanic has mentioned about the pipe maybe having a leak. I had checked the pipes myself, but not being able to put vehicle on a lift, I could not see anything leaking. Even tho I put coolant in the over flow it as well disappears. You may have solved my problem. I will have all the hose and pipes checked today. Thank-you so much. I am endebited to u if that is the prob as I paid 1800. two years ago and have put 5000. in since. You know dumb blond and mechanic. Have a go day. Laura
It's not a hose that most mechanics would think to check, I guess, since it doesn't hold pressure. It's just a skimpy little hose, but if there is a hole it will cause exactly the problem you're experiencing.

You don't need to put the vehicle on a lift since the hose runs from the radiator cap to the overflow reservoir. It could probably bear replacing even if it looks good. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of bucks.

Good luck to you.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:11 PM
Laura Smith
New User
1989 Ford Bronco II

Originally Posted by Avanti
Check the water pump weep hole. Put a small piece of kleenix in the hole , run the engine and check it later after cooling down to see if it is wet or none white. Some times it is the weep hole. john
Hi John, Thank-you for replying to my problem. I will certainly check that out. Laura