Computer Chips & Tuners  

Predator not helping milage

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 10:14 PM
hdway
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the 65 HP program into my 04 SD extended cab 6.0 4x4 it delt with the hesitations on pulling away and such like has more power than I care to use when driving empty but hasn't done anything for milage.Installed it two weeks ago same driving as usual 70 to 90 miles a day half highway empty truck about 8K miles on it built April 04 and computor milage has gone down from 15.6 to 15.5. I had expected to see a increase with the efficency gain.

Old 10-27-2004, 11:09 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you keeping out of the high boost? Also, are you calculating mileage by hand? The reason I ask is the computer mileage calculator is notoriously inaccurate and it's even worse when a tuner is used.

Old 11-05-2004, 11:53 PM
hdway
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken sorry for the delay in replying but had a hectic week and had to convert all fuel and milage from metric.
I don't know what my boost is as haven't installed any gauges yet but I don't drive with my foot in it.
The truck has a total of 8,112 miles since new the first 7,047 stock which produced a hand calculated at 14.99 miles to the US gallon with a computer reading of 15.6.
After installing the 65 HP. program I have driven 1065 miles with average consumption of 14.85 per mile, computer tells me 15.5 average. The computer has not been reset since new so this is the overall average and driving habits or use has not changed the truck is never left idleing. I have not yet used the truck for towing but bought it to haul a 10 to 12,000 lb. 5th wheel car hauler that is on order.
Hope this sheds more light on this, I had expected to see a 10 to 15 % increase in milage with the program installation which isn't there but the truck does run a lot smoother and seems to idle quieter, had a 04 Duramax owner comment how quite it was while standing beside the truck talking to me as I started it.
Jim

Old 11-06-2004, 01:43 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Jim,

Unfortunately, I don't have any guaranteed solutions. The vast majority of people who install the tuners get an increase. There are many factors. For instance, the cetane rating of the fuel. The higher the cetane, the better --- shoot for 45 or higher. Many people have used cetane additives and seen a tremendous gains (especially with the older 7.3L). Also, higher altitude can play a part.