2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mods Vs Warranties

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 01:33 AM
ITDave
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mods Vs Warranties

Does anyone know, or have first hand experience with Mods having any effect on MFR or Extended Warranties?

Mods such as:

Super Tuners

Intakes

Exhaust Systems

Alarm Systems

ETC

Thanks,

Dave

Old 10-25-2004, 07:14 AM
SHANE_2
Senior User
It all depends on your dealer!!! Some actually install stuff like that for you, or are dealers on it etc. And then some are warranty Void happy, If they suspect an aftermarket air filter, exhaust, or anything, they will threaten with voiding your warranty. It is nuts. Just gotta ask around in your area first. And then the big delima is when you are out on the road on a trip, if you happen to break down is when you'll get screwed by a dealer. And that is pretty much just the luck of the draw deal on where you are at.

Shane

Old 10-25-2004, 03:15 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Anyone have any hard facts about mods vs warranties?

Old 10-25-2004, 03:20 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I could only remember the name of this law!!! I think its something like ... ih I dont know. Check out SEMA's website. Anyway, there is a law that states that ANY dealership that is going to void your warranty over an aftermarket addition MUST BY LAW prove that it was the part that caused the malfunction. Thank God for small favors. By all means, read up on it before you start getting after the dealer. If you need the web site, email me.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:21 PM
jbone108
Senior User
My dealer told me any mod. would void my warranty!!!

Old 10-25-2004, 04:55 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

jbone -

The mod has to be related to the failure. If you install a chip or GMS MAF sensor and end up with a burned piston, Ford can say "bye-bye". If you install a FlowMaster and your windshield wiper motor goes out, it would be covered.

Steve

Old 10-25-2004, 05:01 PM
ITDave
Elder User
Wow, that is bold! How would that stand up in court?

Originally Posted by jbone108
My dealer told me any mod. would void my warranty!!!
Wow, that is bold! How would that stand up in court?

OMG, you installed a different windshield, your warranty is now voided.. LoL

It cannot be that way... I cannot imagine that...

Old 10-25-2004, 05:04 PM
txfx4x4
Senior User
Originally Posted by ITDave

The hard fact is that if you make a particular modification which can be shown to have caused the failure of a warranty-covered part, the manufacturer can void that portion of the warranty. The burden of proof is supposed to be on the manufacturer but, in real life, that's not how it works. As a previous post clearly stated, the service department/dealership makes the determination. If you complain loudly enough, a regional rep will step in and make a ruling. The bottom line here is that some dealerships are known to look the other way at unrelated modification while others won't.

A little common sense goes a long way towards determining what modifications (if any) you will choose to do on your vehicle. If you want a supercharger, you should be prepared to say goodbye to the warranty on the entire drivetrain. If you use an aftermarket computer tuning device and, say for example, change the fuel ratio, raise the rev limiter, and/or change the transmission line pressure or shift points, there's always some possibility that it might result in something breaking. If you decide to alter the suspension, don't even think about complaining that the truck vibrates, tracks wrong, drifts, or otherwise doesn't handle right. Just consider how your intended mods might impact other aspects of the vehicle and, assuming a reasonable dealer/owner relationship, you'll be OK.

As I have stated in several of my previous posts, a good working relationship with a knowledgeable service department or dealership goes a long way towards maintaining a positive ownership experience.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:59 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 10-25-2004, 06:18 PM
Fcal
Senior User
Here's an example for you. i changed my exhaust system to a Corsa Cat Back. Ford fixed my clunking rear end and replaced the ECU, Master Cylinder, and ABS Module after my brake system completely failed. All under Warranty (wasn't that nice of them)

Old 10-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Steina
CO River Rat

Fcal -

Good example of what I posted earlier. Your Cat Back can't cause a rear end or brake system problem, so they were fixed under warranty. Now, if you had a burned valve..........

Steve

Old 10-25-2004, 06:44 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No catback will cause a warranty issue. Anything before the rear exhaust section though, you are begging to have Ford get on your case. Basically, just get in touch with the manufacturers of any mod that you are interested in, and ask them some questions related to warranty issues. I bet they will all reference the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Sema.org is a great place to do some research pertinent to this very subject. They are the sanctioning body of the automotive aftermarket.

Old 10-25-2004, 08:50 PM
JohnnyBoy
Senior User
Originally Posted by WheelMA1
I knew it sounded something like that! Brains swiss cheese over here! long day

Old 10-26-2004, 04:00 PM
Harrski
Junior User
Check out the links on the right side of the page below.

http://www.semasan.com/s Warrenty