1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

Clutch dead after driving in water??

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2002, 03:05 PM
joecool177
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to the local store when it was raining pretty bad and when I started heading home I noticed the streets were flooded and a lot of stalled vehicles along the road. Well my truck is raised a litlle so I thought I would take my chances on getting home. I made it home fine after going through some water that came up to about my headlights here and there. The next day I went outside to move my truck since it had stopped raining and the streets were dry. Started just fine but when I pushed in the clutch a lot of water came out of underneath the truck???? Weird. I thought something had happed to a radiator hose because it was a lot of water but found that the hoses were fine. I then proceded to put the truck in gear and the gears grinded. My clutch is no longer working! I checked the reservoir for the clutch hydralic fluid and it is fine, not even a little low. A neighbor suggested changing the transmission fluid saying there may be water in it. I didn't see how that could make the clutch not work but I changed the fluid anyway and there was no water in the tranny fluid. I'm lost! How can the clutch just completely stop working when I haven't had any problems with it? If anyone could shed some light on this for me I'd appreciate it. I have a 92 ranger, 3.0 liter, manual transmission. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

Old 10-30-2002, 06:02 PM
mtboys84
Junior User

:-staun
dude that sounds crazy and i would be pissed if that happened but what it sounds like is you some how got water in your bell housing and if you did then the clutch is just like a set of brakes it takes a while for it to dry out. now the brakes dry out faster b/c they get air and are used a lot so that creates friction which inturns creates heat which drys it out so what you might have to do is either take it apart and let it dry out or just use it and dry it out.
sam

Old 10-30-2002, 06:47 PM
joecool177
New User

I thouhgt that might be the problem at first but how would the water keep the clutch from working? It doesn't even slighly work. It's gone! I can understand with brakes because it can slip, correct? Maybe I don't understand how the clutch works correctly.... If I press the pedal it pulls away from the engine and then when I let it go, it goes back and works sort of like brakes where the two plates spin together... Thats how it is supposed to work. The way I'm thinking is that if its wet the clutch would slip. But that is not what is happening. It is like I'm not even pushing the clutch at all. Am I interpreting it correctly? Or does it work different than that? When I try to start it in gear it tries to take off, and when I start it in neutral and try to put it in gear it grinds as if I'm not pushing the clutch at all. AAArgh. Can anyone shed some light on the subject please?

Old 10-30-2002, 06:57 PM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 342 Likes on 208 Posts

Man, you'll be lucky if your clutch is the ONLY thing wiped out. Driving in water that deep is the single worst thing you can do to a vehicle. Remember, there are lots of parts in the axels and driveline that require lubrication...and you just un-lubricated them. Not only that, but your brake rotors were steaming hot, and then you submerged them in water, so they are likely warped now as well. If I were you, I've have that whole truck professionally inspected, dried out, and serviced.

The brand new Rangers with the FX4 off-road package have specially sealed bearings, axels, and other driveline parts....and even at that they are only designed to travel through water less than 24" deep or something like that. I hope you haven't really messed your truck up...that would be bad. Goodluck...and let us know how it goes...

Old 10-30-2002, 11:21 PM
bubbernator
Senior User

When I try to start it in gear it tries to take off, and when I start it in neutral and try to put it in gear it grinds as if I'm not pushing the clutch at all. AAArgh. Can anyone shed some light on the subject please?

The clutch is working. If you crank the motor with the trans. engaged and it jerks you forward, than the clutch is doing it's job.
Your problem sounds like a clutch RELEASE issue. You may have fried the slave cylinder seals during your water ride.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:03 AM
joecool177
New User

>Your problem sounds like a clutch RELEASE issue. You may
>have fried the slave cylinder seals during your water ride.

How does the slave cylinder seals keep it from releasing if they are fried?

Old 10-31-2002, 03:53 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

NEVER drive into flood waters!

The water could have rusted up your clutch also. It does that to brakes that are not dried b4 the vehicle sits overnite.

The water entered your axle assys thru the seals and vents. They will have to be drained and refilled.

A professional inspection and servicing is in order. You will probably have to have it trailered to the shop.

Thanks for using FTE!

[font color=red]As a Moderator I do not "Subscribe" to most topics,
please send email/pm if you need a reply -Thanks![/font]

-

Old 10-31-2002, 11:59 AM
amp17757
Senior User

Hey joecool, there is one thing you could try before resorting to having it trailered. The clutch disc might be "glued" to the pressure plate/flywheel, from rust forming as mentioned above, and the disc getting thoroughly saturated while sitting engaged (compressed). I would try starting it up (in neutral), letting it idle a good long while as the heat of the engine slowly penetrates the clutch assembly. After good & hot, shut off the engine, put it in gear and hold the clutch pedal in. When you crank it to start, it will lurch forward, but the starter torque MIGHT be enough to "unglue" the disc from the pressure plate/flywheel. I've had it happen too. If it DOES "unglue" itself, drive it around alot to get it THOROUGHLY DRY & WARM, and scuff off the mating surfaces from repeated engage/disengage.

Old 10-31-2002, 12:59 PM
joecool177
New User

Thanks Amp. I will try that. It is the first advice I have for the clutch. Nothing else is wrong. I've driven it around the block already with no problems except the clutch. Ill let you know the progress.

Old 10-31-2002, 11:24 PM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

You will not be able to tell that water got into the axles by driving it around the block. Please take it to a mechanic and get the axles looked at before the water (and grit) ruins your gears and bearings. But of course it is your truck and if you just want to tear it up go ahead.

Getting the engine nice and warm and bumping the starter may be enough to break the clutch loose, you can always hope. If not you will have to pull the tranny and work on the clutch.

You had fun, now it is time to pay up for all the "entertainment".

Thanks for using FTE!

[font color=red]As a Moderator I do not "Subscribe" to most topics,
please send email/pm if you need a reply -Thanks![/font]

-

Old 11-05-2002, 11:27 AM
amp17757
Senior User

Torque1st knows alot more about it than we do. He's right, you should have it checked out professionally. But at least you might be able to DRIVE it over if you have any luck. Have you had any luck???

Old 11-07-2002, 07:33 AM
tomw
Logistics Pro
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Post Clutch dead after driving in water??

Heck, my clutch can lock up after it rains hard. Been doing that since 1985, when it was new. Scared the heck out of me the first time. Had to start it in gear, and then try to break it loose by shifting/clutching. Has lasted all these years... BUT, I did not give it a 'sheep-dip' and get all those other parts wet.
Depends on how deep the water was for me to bother with all that other stuff. Bearings probably won't get watered if you did not stop, and it was not too deep. Brakes should be sealed, calipers and wheel cylinders. You may get rusty linkage in the rear brakes or the emergency cable.
Pay your money and take your chances.

Either way, the clutch probably got stuck as noted about 3 posts above, and you CAN break it loose, as you probably know by now...
tom

Old 11-07-2002, 09:11 AM
Ken00
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post