Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2004, 10:58 PM
New User

RangerToMustang is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ranger with Mustang engine, stalling

Hello Everyone,

I purchased an '86 Ranger that has a '93 Mustang engine in it, both engines were 2.3L's. Seemed kind of like a pointless swap to me, but I really have not dealt with Ford's too much to know and I only paid $250 for it. The engine is a 2.3L FI SOHC.

The engine runs exceptional, only problem is that it stalls frequently when cold. Ever since I got it, it would seem to stall at random intervals when coming to a stop sign or just sitting there idling (It is a 5 spd manual).

Recently I did a tune-up on it... Plugs, wires, cap, rotor & air filter... Now when you start it in the morning it will stall immediately. Once it heats up, it will idle fine, but otherwise it will stall constantly if you do not keep your foot on the gas a little. It also still does stall randomly when coming to a stop, or backing out of the gas quickly.

There was no air filter in it before... There is also some hesitation like when shifting from 1st to 2nd during normal driving. I am wondering if it might be a fuel regulator problem, perhaps dirty sensors in the intake/throttle body, something else or a combination of things. Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

- Philip
Old 10-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Junior User

tweaker is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had the same problem with my 89' mustang, it would run rough while cold, and stall every once and a while,

Take off the air intake tube, ( if any) and half a friend, or grab the throttle with your hand about half way/ 3/4 of the way open, and squirt some carb cleaner, doesn't matter if it's fuel injected and your using carb clean, but make sure you get the hole surface area

you might want to take an old tooth brush and scrub a little here and there,

you might want to take the exhaust off, and find out if it's restricted, you can also try puling off the O2 sensor, and try starting it cold with out the O2 sens. if it dies, then that' eliminated,
let me know
Nick
Old 10-23-2004, 04:14 AM
Posting Guru

AlfredB1979 is starting off with a positive reputation.
A 93 model engine has an IAC on it, IIRC. Check that out, too.

Since we can't see what you've got, it's up to you to look under the hood for shortcuts made in the wiring harness for that swap job. Maybe a sensor wire got left disconnected for the heck of it to finish the swap.

If that engine had been sitting before the swap, sure, some sensors can get crudded up. A bunch of factory-age sensors on a 12-year old engine isn't a great thing, either.
Old 10-23-2004, 04:14 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
38, 96, engine, mustang, ranger, stalls, start, truck