Step bumper mounted receiver hitch

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 11:37 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Step bumper mounted receiver hitch

i just recently got a 96 F350 PSD (in my sig) to pull my rock crawler around with. I got lucky (i think) and the truck came with front and rear Ranch hand bumpers. My questions are regarding the rear bumper....it is the cowboy style

http://www.ranchhand.com/backbumpers.htm

My flatbed tandem axle trailer sits up way too high with this bumper and so i bought a bumper mounted receiver hitch so that i could use a 6" drop hitch and level the trailer out better.

~would it be safer to mount the hitch to the top of the bumper or should i go ahead and mount it to the bottom of the bumper mounting surface?

~Why does adding the receiver hitch to the bumper lower the weight ratings of what i can safely tow even if i put it on the top of the bumper mounting surface?

~why is it not recommended to use a weight distributing hitch, those weight distribution hitches are like Heaven and I would like to continue to use mine.

~the bumper is only held up by four bolts total, which are only about 9/16" or so, and i am thinking that that is not enough...would it be wise to upgrade to grade 8 bolts and use something like 3/4" bolts and maybe even adding another bolt totalling to 6, 3/4" bolts?!!?

~would anyone be nervous about mounting the reciver tube to the bottom of the bumper? i just wanna make sure i get the trailer more level b/c as it is now everytime find a real low spot i drag the rear of the trailer and i cringe everytime i do it!

~do i have any other options other than the bumper mounted receiver hitch?

-cutts-

Old 10-21-2004, 12:10 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would suggest that you use a frame mounted receiver instead of the bumper mounted model. You should be able to find one to fit your style bumper. The reason they say not to use a weight distributing hitch is that the torsion bars put stress on the receiver. Normally this is absorbed by the frame. I would imagine that this could put too much stress on the bumper and the mounting hardware.

Last edited by johnsdiesel; 10-21-2004 at 12:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 06:03 AM
blackf3504dr
Elder User
I'd feel a lot safer useing a frame mounted receiver too . You didn't say what the trialer weighs with the rock crawler on it . And yeah I would be nervous pulling anything but a small/light trailer on a bumper mounted hitch . When it comes to towing I think overkill is just right !

Old 10-21-2004, 08:03 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
where would you guys find a frame mounted receiver to clear my bumper? it sticks out and down a good bit!

the trailer and rig (heaviest i would ever carry before going to a g/n) i would say weigh in to about 8K lbs or so.

-cutts-

Old 10-21-2004, 08:10 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Then you definitely don't want the bumper receiver. If I read it right, the site you listed limits towing with the bumper to 5000lb trailer weight and 500lb tongue weight.
For a hitch, try your loacal RV or U-haul place.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:43 AM
johnsdiesel
Post Fiend
Check out www.hitch-web.com. They have receivers for all different kinds of bumpers.

Old 10-21-2004, 09:55 AM
grtF250
Senior User
I did use one of the bumper mounted recivers with an equalizing hitch for a while. I was poor, and it was just around town at low speeds. (I didn't say it was smart, so don't kill me here)

Anyway after not very long the 4 bolts that hold the hitch to the frame (you were talking about) started to move around from the forces the equalizer bars were exerting on the bumper. The result was after less then 100 miles of towing I had bolts that were warn way down and oval shaped holes in the frame of the truck. The entire bumper (the hitch) was moving around as I drove.

My trailer wasn't anywhere near 8k So I'd say don't do it. It might work for a while but not for long.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:29 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
ok then....what if i were to get a hitch that came close to clearing the 7-8" drop bumper and then used something like thick walled (schedule 80; 1/4" thick or so) square tubing as a sapcer to lower the hitch assmbly down enough to clear the step part?

-cutts-

Old 10-21-2004, 11:38 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
You are still Mickey Mousing something together. I would look at all the hitch options first. There may be a hitch out there that will fit your vehicle with the low bumper.
I just did a search using the site supplied by johnsdiesel. I came up with 3 hitches that will fit your vehicle with a 10" drop cowboy bumper. 2 class IV and 1 class V.

Last edited by kingfish51; 10-21-2004 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:42 AM
grtF250
Senior User
I don't disagree with Kingfish but if done well that sounds like a much safer option then using the step bumper.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:47 AM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
Take a look, I just editted my original post. There are hitches available.

Old 10-21-2004, 11:56 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
yea kingfish, i agree with you and am gonna be as safe as i can.

how do you measure the drop in the bumper? i am not sure if i have the 8" or 10"...isn't it from the top of the bumper to the bottom of the step part?

i have a receiver hitch laying in my garage and was thinking maybe i could get bigger (meaning more of a drop) spreader bar mounts (the sides of the hitch system that actually bolts to the frame) and then get them made with thicker steel

-cutts-

Last edited by fishmanndotcom; 10-21-2004 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:05 PM
kingfish51
Posting Guru
I am not sure how they measure the drop in the bumper. I looked at the site you supplied andsaw that the largest drop was 10". That's how I did the search on the other site.
As for the receiver you have, does the manufacturer have other spreader bars available? What class is the receiver? What amount of weight do you expect to be towing?
You really need that information to answer the questions. As you have an F350, I would assume you probably want to go with a class IV or V, otherwise you are not going to be able to tow as much as your truck can handle.

Old 10-21-2004, 12:14 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
i wanna be able to handle 10,000 just to be safe so i am gonna go with a Class V. the one i have is a class 5 but it won't clear my 10" drop (it is 10" i went out and measured)

i am gonna check on just buying parts rather than a whole hitch but i may be better off getting the whole thing

i am about to call RanchHand (maker of my bumper) when they get back from lunch and see what they recommend me doing cause i am sure they have ppl all the time with the same concerns as i do

-cutts-

Old 10-21-2004, 01:53 PM
fellro86
Hotshot
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
depends upon your fabricating skills, but you have some options, you can modify the hitch you have, but be sure to use adequate material, or you can brace up the bumper mount, which would be a modification of you receiver and the bumper for stabilization Best option is a properly manufactured and tested receiver, but if you choose to build such, make sure to do a quality job.

Quick Reply: Step bumper mounted receiver hitch