Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Nissan 5.6 vs Ford 5.4 vs Dodge 5.7 vs Chevy 5.3

Old 10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
73Fastbackv10
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
P.S. the Dodge is 2wd and an automatic.

Old 10-28-2004, 12:57 AM
CanYouSayHEMI?
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Based on personal driving experiences:

Dodge:
4.7L - Let's face it, it isnt a 5.4 or a 5.7 but it'll haul more *** than a Ford 4.6L or GM 4.8L. Good acceleration, great towing.
5.7L - I love this engine.

Chevy:
4.8L - Runs great but lacks a little power, behind the 4.7L
5.3L - Fast acceleration, but power still isn't the greatest, decent towing.

Ford:
4.6L - This engine just doesn't cut it.
5.4L - Good for towing and good acceleration. Better than the GM 5.3L but not as good as the DCX 5.7L

GOLD: Hemi 5.7L
SILVER: Ford 5.4L
BRONZE: GM 5.3L

Old 10-28-2004, 01:19 AM
Brons2
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CanYouSayHemi, I agree with you that Dodge has the best base engine, horsepower ratings notwithstanding. Could be partially because of the 5 speed auto.

Old 10-28-2004, 02:42 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Good summary CanyousayHEMI. Ford and Dodge have the best V8s on the market and Chev is lagging behind right now. That may change when they redesighn the Silverada and get a new line of engines going in them.

One thing about gas mileage. These are big trucks we are talking about here. People don't buy trucks to get good gas mileage out of todays big V8 engines. None of the big V8s from Dodge, Ford or GM get great mileage. If you want gas mileage get a VW Jetta TDI or a Honda Civic.

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 10-28-2004 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:53 PM
bigsnag
Posting Guru
I agree that no one bought a new big truck for the mileage, however, I have heard more guys on the Dodge board gripe about their bad mileage, and several have sold their trucks due to poor mileage and high gas prices. Sad but true. They were all tired of getting 11-13 mpg. Heavy foot or not, big truck or not, that is ****-poor. I haven't heard of many (if any) new Ford guys getting that. Of course no one is getting 30 mpg with their truck, but the difference between 11 and say 16 is huge on a daily basis and could be the difference in having to sell your truck or not.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:04 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Very good point. Well said. The good news is Dodge is working on making the 5.7 more fuel eficient. They have successfully completed that with the 4.7. Hopefully thay can pull it off with the HEMI. I read somewhere about the MDS technology making its way into the Ram engine lineup.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:25 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I would like to make a point about the gas mileage issue. Yes, the F-150 does, on average, get better gas mileage, but also consider some other variables. Look at the way it's driven. The Dodge Hemi is a fast truck, and when you are behind the wheel of a fast truck, you tend to drive it fast, without any regard to fuel efficiency. Second, look at the power ratings. The hemi is rated at 345 HP....that's 45 more than an '04 5.4, and 85 more than an '03 5.4. Those extra ponies need to come from somewhere, and that somewhere is the gas tank. Also, good power curve or not, the hemi gets more power at high revs, which makes people rev it higher before the shift, also drinking gas. Yes, they are heavy trucks, but the way they are driven, and the power output has a huge amount to do with it.

btw, I bought my '02 and my '03 Neons at a dodge dealer that was also the largest Lamborghini dealer in the USA. On the sticker of an '04 Murcealago, the gas mileage was 9 city, 13 highway!!!!!

Old 10-28-2004, 03:41 PM
Armada
Senior User
I know you Dodge guys like your Hemi's and you have been relatively kind to Ford regarding the 5.4 Ford. The new 3 valve is a nice motor, but it still runs out of breath early. I've been campaigning here to get Ford to realize the 3 valve heads, even with variable timing are not the best thing in their parts bin and that to be competitive, they need better breathing - a true DOHC 4 valve head, and a good properly geared 5 speed auto transmission.

But . . . most of you guys aren't saying anything about the Nissan 5.6 Endurance engine. If you Hemi guys ever get behind the wheel of one of those trucks, I think you would see that the Nissan engine is very impressive (seductive, almost addictive). I did not get that sensation when testing the new Hemi. The 5.6 is every bit the equal of the Hemi and in the objective tests, seems to be beating it in acceleration both running empty and especially when towing a load. The posts seem to be basing your comparisons on Ford and Chevy alone.

From an engineering standpoint, the Nissan seems to have the most potential for future mods (like variable valve timing, modification of cam profiles - four of those things, changes in computer programming, etc.). The cylinder head is even more hemispherical than the hemi (sorry about that). It may be that you are not including it in your comments because you have not driven one - or lined up against one at a stoplight, or been passed by one pulling a load. And although my "other truck" is a Ford SuperDuty 7.3, for the heavier stuff, I used to own and drag race MOPAR.

To me, if Ford had that engine and tranny in the F-150 body, this would be pickup heaven. Ford could still go that route with a DOHC modular engine and the right kind of auto transmission. Ford, are you listening.

Old 10-28-2004, 03:48 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
For what it's worth, the only reason I can't say much about the Titan is that I've never driven one....although I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Old 10-28-2004, 05:17 PM
150ford
Post Fiend
Yeh a lot of Dodge guys have gotten rid of there hemi due to poor gas mileage.#2.00 gas adds up pretty fast. I might as well be driving around in crewcab superduty with a V-10. At least could pull something with that motor. And the trade in value thats another story. These Dodges will eat your pocketbook alive.

Old 10-28-2004, 06:18 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
Also, good power curve or not, the hemi gets more power at high revs, which makes people rev it higher before the shift, also drinking gas.
And also compromising the durability of the engine.

Old 10-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
I don't see how that works. The engine may rev higher to an extent, but it's also a pushrod design, which is a tried and true design used for about 100 years, not a more complex DOHC. I think the Dodge would last longer, but that's only my opinion, there aren't really any facts to back that up.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:00 PM
FordLariat
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes there are, more work and more friction equal less durability.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
abmobil
Senior User
Fordlariat is right more work and friction equals less durability ,and the f150 has to work sooo much harder to move loads that dont even phase the titan. Look at gm, theyve been making pushrod motors for a very long time and alot of people sware by the 350 but then they brought the new line of vortecs out and durability seems to have been compromised, piston slaping oil burning machines!!

Old 10-28-2004, 10:23 PM
rockclimber
Junior User
Originally Posted by FordLariat
Yes there are, more work and more friction equal less durability.
So a cam in block design has more friction than a 3 valve overhead set-up? I'd say the bottom end is the same but the top is another story. Let's see, twice as many cam journals, 8 extra valve guides, 8 extra rockers actuated by 8 extra cam lobes resisted by 8 extra springs, two extra chain guides and two extra tensioner arms (sliding friction) somehow equals less friction. I fail to see how this is possible.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Nissan 5.6 vs Ford 5.4 vs Dodge 5.7 vs Chevy 5.3