Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

New Dakota.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 02:42 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
(FordLariat) Where have I ever said you were wrong on something? All you need to do is open your mind a little and look around. There are other trucks out there that don't have the blue oval that are good. Dodge has come a long way in the last 10 years.

Last edited by Musclecar_Fan; 10-22-2004 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:00 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
I think the problem is when someone says that one truck can tow more than the other. The truth is, one truck is always rated by the manufacturer to tow more than the others. It seems that Ford and Dodge up their ratings every few years, especially when a new model or engine is introduced. Right now, yes, the Ford F150 is rated to tow more than any other 1/2 ton 2WD truck, well except for one of GMC's, I think. Does that mean the other trucks are subpar? Not at all, it just means that when Ford introduced the new F150, they upped the manuf rating as most companies do. They did, however make many changes so that it would be safer towing heavier loads instead of just upping the ratings for the heck of it just to be ahead. They stiffened up the frame so that it is at least as strong as the Dodge frame which was the strongest, and it is probably even a little stronger. There is a limit in stiffness, and they may have gone slightly over, because I have read alot of complaints about vibrations with the 04 F150, but that may be due to other reasons. They upgraded the brakes to almost the same size as the Ram, so it can stop better with a heavy load than before. They upgraded the engine to 3V, so that it can get up to speed easier with a heavy load. So, yes the F150 is rated to tow the most this year, but just because Dodge was rated to tow the most for the past few years doesn't mean the old F150 was junk, thats just the way the game works. Next year when Nissan or Dodge change the ratings on thier trucks, the F150 will still be a fine truck, even though it is not rated to tow the most.

Last edited by wnorman1192; 10-22-2004 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Now: about the new Dakota, its gonna take time to grow on me. I love the old style Dakotas. They are a good truck that sold very well. The new one is better all around, but on the outside iss where they went wrong. The grille i don't like very much. The rest of the body is nice IMO. Finally, the power options are excellent. 4.7, or 4.7 HO for the V8. The standard is a 3.7L V6. I think the truck will sell quite well. Not taking away from the Ranger but the Dakota is the best midsize pickup on the market right now. Thats not because it says Dodge on it either.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Guys...the last 9 posts have absolutuley NOTHING to do with the pathetically ugly, Bubba-Gumped bumpered Dakota.

Let's attempt to stay on topic, eh?

Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM
wnorman1192
Senior User
I would have to agree with you, that it will sell very well despite the front end. It is also one of the best, if not the best midsize truck available right now. One major concern I had before was the fuel economy of the 4.7. Chrysler did alot of work on making the 4.7 more fuel efficient this year, which is evident in the 20+ hwy epa rating. That is much better than the 4.7 was rated in the past. The truck can tow over 7100 lbs. That is almost as much as a full size truck. I think the looks will improve if they offer a package with less chrome up front and wheel flares. All in all, it is a vast improvement over the old dakota, which was pretty stout itself.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:15 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Great post wnorman. Good of you to point out the 4.7 fuel economy too. And yes too much chrome up front. The sprt package will look beter though with body color grille. All and all the new Dakota is solid and will improve even more as the years pass. Don't be surprised if they offer an SRT-8 model with the 5.7 HEMI in it. The HEMI is making its way into everything now.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:23 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Monsta
the pathetically ugly, Bubba-Gumped bumpered Dakota.
Good way of putting it! For anyone who does not know what the truck looks like, picture this truck in your head....
Scott

Old 10-22-2004, 04:26 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Budly
Have you driven both?
I have an was FAR more impressed with the HEMI.
Have you driven both with a trailer on? I have been in the driver seat just part of a joke i guess. When setting up branding corrals my neighbor Mitch gave me his 04 5.4 halfer to pull 4000 Lb. Panel trailer/chute to the corrals. The 5.4 pulled pretty good (i mean its only 4K). And when we were done there was the same trailer/chute only this time there was a 2K bull in the chute and Mitch bet my other buddy a case of Light that his HEMI couldnt pull the trailer out of the bottom we were in (pretty steap hill) and since i drove the 5.4 the first time(and was the most sober) i drove the hemi with the trailer on. Not only did it pull out of the bottom with ease (for a 1/2, its not PSD or CTD at all) and back to the house it pulled better than the 5.4 did w/out the bull, now this was last spring so it might be a little different now but thats my input to the situation. SCREW ratings/specs and whats said it commercials, i believe what i witness.
Your opinion and nothing more, my input try a different driver in both vehicles and the out come would be different…of course just like you it is an opinion…

Old 10-22-2004, 05:04 PM
Fordtastic
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AS far as the Dakota Selling well...i guess just in your area or atleast opinionated...in my area (Houston Area) I hardly ever see Dakota's really...And Honestly i don't think the Dakota is in the same league as the Ranger...heck come to think of it the Ranger is just about in a league of it's own...Well the Ranger and the Nissan Frontier i believe are the only two true "compacts" left. I'd like to see a Dakota get 29 mpg lol.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:02 PM
Paul Selby
Junior User
Just looked at the new Dakota today. I think it's a very good looking truck all around. Looks to be put together better than the old one. Little too much chrome on the front end for my taste.

That said, I would rather put my money towards a full size after looking at the price and the MPG. I still need a truck I can seat 3 people up front in comfort. The one I looked at had the 4.7 and got 20 MPG highway, most full size trucks can match that. On the plus side you can maneuver around better with the Dakota.

Old 10-31-2004, 02:23 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Fordtastic, you're right about that. That's one reason I won't buy a ranger. I'm sure it's a fine truck, I just don't like it. I've always figured if I am gonna buy a truck, I'd like to buy a TRUCK. The Dakota, old and new versions, fits into that category, and unfortunately Ranger doesn't. True, Ranger can get 29 MPG, but I sure wouldn't pull ANY trailer with the 2.3!

A bit ugly up front or not, the Dakota is definitely an improvement over the origional.

Old 10-31-2004, 04:29 PM
grease monkey
Elder User
I think there pretty nasty looking I also think the new chevy colorado is ugly as hell. I sware the same people designed both trucks and they where drunk when they where doing it. I like the motor choices for the dakota. Ford needs to put a V8 in a ranger. I dont like the gas milage from the dakota but I guess thats what you get when you want the power.

Old 11-01-2004, 04:11 AM
150ford
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FordLariat
The engine is all they have, and even with more hp/torque than the 5.4, the Dodge 1/2 still can't outwork the Ford 1/2 ton, and the Hemi is a joke in the 3/4 or 1 ton truck market.
Ford lariat states some good points here. As usual Dodge is so stupid at times when it comes to trucks. The hemi is a joke when it comes to HD trucks. Lack off low end torque hurts here. Lack of crewcab with any room. Style department definitly needs some improvment here. Everytime I see a new Dodge nowdays there style gets worse. The durango is ugly as well as the new Dakota. Yeh it looks like the hemi is all thats got Dodge going for it sad to say. And thats way overblown.

Old 11-01-2004, 06:15 PM
scottie2hottie
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 150ford
it looks like the hemi is all thats got Dodge going for it sad to say. And thats way overblown.
Yup....
Scott

Old 11-01-2004, 06:23 PM
78Explorer
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by scottie2hottie
Does anyone else have any type of feeling toward the '05 Dakota? I saw it on an ad, and plan on going to look at one in person...I think they're about as ugly as could be! I think Dodge took their Dakota in the wrong direction with this one, but perhaps that's just me. Anyone else have any comments?
Scott
IT's as butt-ugly as the new Durango and the Titan...and the Avalanche...and the Aztek.