05 Expedition vs. Excursion PSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2004, 09:44 AM
TDN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Expedition vs. Excursion PSD

Hey everyone,

I'm considering a purchase of a new 05 Expy XLT 4x4 (actually I've been "considering" it for a while, just need to save some $$) but lately I've been looking more at the Excursion PSD. The biggest reason is fuel economy -- since the PSD can get up to 20 MPG on the highway, and I've been hearing the Expy only gets 13-15, that would save me a bunch of $$ in fuel costs. I drive about 20k miles per year and plan on keeping the truck for 8-10 years. I'm seeing a difference of about $6500 invoice between the 05 Expy and Excursion PSD for the XLT 4x4 with the options I would want, and I could save that much on gas over about 6 years (20k miles per year, $2.00 a gallon).

Here is my question: what other considerations are there in comparing these two vehicles? I can definitely use the extra interior space for kids, hauling stuff, etc., and since I currently have an F150 with an 8' bed, I like the idea of being able to fit a 4x8 sheet inside the vehicle with the rear doors closed (the Expy isn't quite long enough). Obviously the towing capability of the Excursion is better than the Expy, and although I don't really need it now I like the idea of having the extra GCWR and tow capacity.

But what I'd most like to know is, especially from Expy and Excursion owners, how do they compare regarding the cost of maintenance and upkeep. Is the 6.0 PSD any harder (or easier) to maintain than the 5.4L V8? I do all my own fluid service work, and lots of little things here and there, but I take my truck to the shop for major maintenance and repair work. How about reliability? Any other info, ride quality, fit & finish, etc.?

Thanks for the info, FTE rocks!

Old 10-20-2004, 10:31 AM
CNY_AF32D
New User
I just went from a 2002 Expedition to a 2004 Excursion PSD. Here are the MPG numbers that I observed from each.

Expedition 16.5 MPG Highway, 12 MPG Around Town
Excursion 20.5 MPG Highway, 16 MPG Around Town
If you have a lead foot expect worse from both vehicles.

Oil changes will be more $$$ with the PSD with 15qts vs. 5qts.

Excursion advantages - Room, I took the 3rd row seat out of the Expedition just to have a little cargo room. With the Excursion there is tons of room back there even with the seat in. Towing, I'm towing a heavy camper which would be too much for the Expedition and was the biggest reason to upgrade to the Excursion PSD.

Expedition advantages - much easier to park due to a better turning radius.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2004, 09:06 PM
Netfly
Elder User
I recently went thru the same decision. Replacing an aging Bronco. Expedition just too small and not heavy duty enough. Excursion has nice size, but handling suffers with a rear that seems too heavy in corners and straight line holding that is only fair. The Ex didn't get the new suspension or Brakes like the Superduty. Settled on a F350 psd cc lb, just couldn't wipe the smile off my face after driving it. Loaded costs a few thousand under the Excursion price, holds its value better and to me its more fun to drive. Walked around for a month deciding if I could park that extra 4 feet of length. Final decision was, I wanted all the new updates and the EX didn't get them ...now if Ford would just give me a build date.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:49 AM
TDN
Senior User
Thanks for the feedback. CNY, your comments and MPG numbers are very helpful -- and I figured the 6.0L PSD had a higher oil capacity than the 5.4L gasser, but I didn't realize it was 15 qts!! And both of you touched on exactly the kind of issues I'm struggling with. The X is roomier and more capable, but it has essentially remained unchanged in terms of features and updates to the SD (except the old 7.3L PSD being replaced by the new 6.0L). I did consider a 250 CC, mostly because the 5.5' box in the F150 Screw is way too short. I could live with the 6.75' box of the shorter 250 CC, and the overall length is pretty close to my 97 F150 Scab 8', only about 6 inches longer. Whereas the 250 CC with the 8' box is 262" long, about two feet longer than my truck. But I really need 3rd row seats, being able to carry more than 5 people comfortably when I need to (mountain biking trips, hauling kids and their friends or when the in-laws are in town).

Anyway, thanks again for the input. CNY, hope you enjoy your new X. And Netfly, good luck with your new SD!

Old 10-21-2004, 06:14 PM
jimmyboy
Freshman User
Excursion Vs Expedition

I just went through the same decision process and went with the Excursion for all the reasons posted plus I felt the Diesel Excursion would have a better resale/residual value. From what I've seen, expeditions value drops like a rock. Just my .02 Good luck, Jim