K&N????

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 01:02 AM
hockeyplurr
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N????

I was wondering if a K&N filter would make much of a difference in my 300 i6 its in a 83 bronco??

Old 10-20-2004, 01:29 AM
hockeyplurr
Senior User
Anyone able to help??

Old 10-20-2004, 05:02 AM
jojo41
Freshman User
Thumbs up K&N in a 300 I6

Just had put the K&N FIPK Kit into my 1990 300 I6 few days ago . Was expensive, but helps the engine up. I drive K&N in all our cars and bikes, even in my old Ural Russian sidecar bike. The FIPK kit helps the 300 up from my opinion, it revs up more easily and idles much smoother. And it produces a kind of a "growling" intake sound which I personally like. Mileage improvement could not be tested yet, I think there will be a slightly improvement, as with all my K&N equipped rigs.

Greetings from Germany

JoJo

Old 10-20-2004, 08:02 AM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To date I haven't found a single horsepower on the dyno with 4.9 intake mods. I've tried things from the full stock setup to open throttle body. Nothing there. I'm still on the stock setup.

Old 10-20-2004, 08:36 AM
jojo41
Freshman User
@Silver Streak: Yeah, I do not disagree with your dyno, but the rough idle on my 300 I6 disappeared to 80 percent after installation of the FIPK. I am on the hunt for killing the other 20% roughness which are left. I hate shaking and trembling gearsticks at neutral on a sixcylinder. Maybe I will have to let it be the truck it is, my other car is a 1993 Mercedes 320 Coupe, Inline six as well, sounds like a cat at idle and goes like a panther up away from idle.
But that is another story.....
JoJo

Old 10-20-2004, 09:47 AM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
K&N

As far as I am concerned, the air intake mods you can do to a 300 I-6 don't do much, unless you have a later computer controlled truck with a mass air sensor. If you don't have a mass air sensor and computer to match the increased air flow to available fuel flow, then you are putting a top hat on a donkey so to speak. Doesn't matter how much air you give it if you are stuck with metered fuel delivery through the old fuel injection system or a one-barrel carter carb. May make a diff if you have a four-barrel carb however. In their favor, the K&N filters are easier to access/clean and replace than the stock setup. Just a matter of where/how you want to spend your $$$.

Old 10-20-2004, 01:08 PM
Silver Streak
Postmaster
If a K&N cleaned up your idle there is another issue somewhere.

Old 10-20-2004, 10:49 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sounds like u had a dirty air cleaner...kn are a joke IMO, had one and it sucked so bad. all it did was lighten my wallet...im with SS, back to the stock airbox and tubes with a standard paper filter. plus kns contaminate the MAF sensors on MAF equiped vehicles...

Old 10-20-2004, 11:10 PM
benwantland
Elder User
Originally Posted by optikal illushun
kn are a joke IMO, had one and it sucked so bad.
That's kind of a blanket statement. I would say it depends on the vehicle. I've never owned an EFI 300, but I have had a K&N on my last few vehicles I've screwed around with, except the 300 in my truck, which has a $30 Summit chrome 14x3 with reusable cotton (k&n style) element. <- that's not a bad deal at all, really.

Anyway, some vehichles need it more than others, and it depends on where the restrictions are in the air intake system, if at all. Even then, it comes down to use the factory airbox or not, blah blah.

Biggest difference was my motorcycle. Ditched the airbox and ran individual K&N's, and there is so much more airflow, it literally wouldn't run. Jet the carbs larger to compensate, and all of a sudden, I'm producing 15% more horsepower. Can't beat that.

Anyway, from the objective reports I've read, the FIPK for the 300 doesn't help a whole lot, but that doesn't mean all K&N stuff is junk.

Old 10-20-2004, 11:15 PM
optikal illushun
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well its my opinion and i wont use it on another vehicle unless i have money to waste. i agree it depends on the vehicle a lot and the way the air box is ran, etc...

Old 10-20-2004, 11:16 PM
paulfix
Senior User
I put a K&N filter in my airbox and the only difference noted was a large hole in my pocket and maybe a bit more intake roar

Old 10-21-2004, 01:23 AM
jojo41
Freshman User
I can absolutely agree with "benwantland" experiences ! In both our HONDA 750
(model is called "Nighthawk" in the US) I used the K&N Filter. First, it was because of the price, the K&N`s are cheaper than the Honda-Original "paper-with-perforized-sheet-metal" parts (!!!). Second: far to much air, had to be compensated with bigger jets in the 4 carbs. Third: Dyno shows 7.3 hp more. I could compare 2 identical bikes, one with K&N plus bigger jets and the other one without, believe me or not, the difference was really more than noticeable....
OK, K&N will not help always, but I could not feel any contamination of my (very sensible) MAF sensor in our 1993 Mercedes 320. What I felt in this car after K&N installation, was a reduced consumption of about 1 litre less premium fuel per 100 kilometers.
Always had problems gettin my old Russian Ural-iron (650cc,Boxer w/sidecar) kickstarted. Installed K&N ( Triumph model fits...) and a Honda ignition coil. Since then this Russian beast comes on on the second or third hit of the kickstarter, no matter, how long it was parked. Maybe it is the coil, maybe it is the K&N.......

When installing a K&N "Champignon-Filter" to our Daihatsu Feroza (US Rocky), it helps nothing. Consumption raised from 11.5 to 13.2 litres per 100KM. Rebuild it back to original and sold the filter.

JoJo, NRW, Germany

Old 10-21-2004, 07:11 PM
frty7ford
Elder User
Hocky the K&N flows more air. The engine does not have to work so hard to breath. With a carburated setup you may not notice a lot of difference. If you are having trouble leaning a carb out I would definatly try one. With fuel injection the computer can make more use of the air. With either setup it is all up to you. It can make a difference with whichever setup the vehicle has all depends on how it is tuned. If you decide to put it on a fuel injected engine you will notice more difference if you unplug the battery and follow the procedures for clearing the computers memory. If you dont it will be using the old data and will take a long time for the effects to be noticed.

Old 10-21-2004, 10:41 PM
tmcalavy
Posting Guru
Your right freshman user

the K&N does flow more air, but the stock 300 I-6 carbureted or fuel injected is not engineered to make use of that air flow beyond a certain point. the limiting points are the 1-barrel carb and the primitive air flow monitor that was in these trucks/engines B4 mass air flow sensors were added. I can hook a high-flow air bottle up to my mouth, but can only take in what my lungs are designed to hold...beyond that you're ****in in the wind. unless you radically redesign and retune the stock setup, which was not the question in the first place.

Old 10-22-2004, 04:35 PM
'961506
Elder User
I heard that on the FI models, K&N doesnt help because, even though it provides better flow, it is not cold air intake, whereas the stock is cold air, but it doesnt flow as well, you could always try an aftermarket filter(such as a K&N or Fram Air Hog or something when you replace the stock one, thats probably what I will do next time I change my oil.

Quick Reply: K&N????