Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Electrical Systems/Wiring
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-18-2004, 03:48 PM
New User

manderson99 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power Window - driver's side - not working 1999 F-150 Supercab

Hello all,

I was hoping to search on this site and find a quick answer, but I can't seem to find a "search" feature for the forums!!! I just bought a used 1999 F-150 Supercab (V6) less than a month ago. As used, of course, I received no warranty of any kind. Yesterday, I found I could no longer roll down the driver's side power window. Whenever I push the button, it makes a clicking sound in the fuse box. The problem is, the fuse for the power windows covers both driver and passenger sides, but the passenger side works fine.

I did notice that there is a black plug called a Relay that affects the Auto Down power window feature. Since the driver's side is the only window with Auto Down, I'm hoping maybe that relay just needs replaced, and everything will magically work again??? I'm NOT a car/truck nut - I don't even know how to change my own oil.

I recently had a power window motor on my 1995 Thunderbird replaced at a cost of about $150. I'm hoping I don't have to do that already, just a month in to my F-150. But on my T-Bird, there was no clicking in the fuse box when I tried to window.

Any ideas would be most appreciated!!!

Mark A., in McKinney, TX
(Click Here to find out why email addresses are removed from posts.)
Old 10-18-2004, 11:07 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Open the door and have someone wiggle the wiring around in the door jamb while you work the switch. The wiring may have broke in that area.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 10-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Elder User

guzzler96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lightbulb

You say the clicking is coming from the fuse box?? I know on my '90 there is a set of nylon gears in the top end of the window motor. When the gears strip the window won't go up and down. It makes a clicking sound when the motor turns because there is sort of a cam and rollers in there. Took it to a local automotive glass man and he drilled out (3) holes in the door with a hole saw and then unbolted the motor. Replaced the nylon gear set and voila, the window works again. Charged me like $95 to do it. I have had to have both windows done in mine.

Just a thought,
guzzler96

Knowledge is Power

'90 F-150 XLT LARIAT 302 V8 5 - Speed
Old 10-19-2004, 07:43 PM
New User

Nascarfreak88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I used to own a 1990 Toyota Camry that i had the same problem with. My passenger side windown wouldnt go down using either switch. I took the panel apart and used a cordless drill battery to crank the window down. then i hit the swithces and it would roll back up. "That odd?" i though, so i bought a master and a passenger window switches off of eBay and tried that. That didnt help. So it want a falty motor, or bad switches. A few days later, my driverside window quit working. I went to the toyota dealer, and they recomended that i check the wires that go beween the door. sure enough, i had a wire broken in both of the door jams.

here's a pic...
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:46 AM
Senior User

Dakrri is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same problem on my 1999 F250. Somtimes the drivers side window works up and down and the next time it won't. However when it's doesnt work, I can always here a selinoid(??) clicking in by the fuse box.

The other 3 windows work fine. If its a loose/broken wire, why would you here the clicking noise?

dakrri
Old 11-16-2004, 02:00 PM
Elder User

guzzler96 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Lightbulb

Don't know why you would. Take a look at this post and see if you think it makes sense for your problem??

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=298012

guzzler96

Knowledge is Power

'90 F-150 XLT LARIAT 302 V8 5 - Speed
Old 07-22-2012, 09:57 PM
New User

rfsmith48 is starting off with a positive reputation.
No window function

you hear the relay cycling because it is upstream of the broken wire or broken window motor. (The relay delivers power to the regulator motor.)
Old 07-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfsmith48 View Post
you hear the relay cycling because it is upstream of the broken wire or broken window motor. (The relay delivers power to the regulator motor.)
Seriously, that was almost 8 years ago...
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 10-17-2013, 04:43 PM
New User

slamonte is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy similar problem with my 1999 F250

I took the motor out of the door and noticed the motor would turn when pushing the button to roll up but does not turn when pushing the down/auto button. I'm not sure where to go from here. Switch problem or some kind of regulator upstream? Is there a wiring diagram I can grab online because now I have the door apart and I'd like to fix it today?
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM

Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
You could look on autozone's site and see if they have a diagram for it. You have to register, plug in your truck, and then to vehicle repair guides.

Sounds like the switch to me. The motor runs in one direction, so it must be good. The switch swaps the polarity of the wires to the motor.

1989 F250 XLT Diesel
Old 10-17-2013, 07:22 PM