62 econoline oickup

Old 10-18-2004, 11:54 AM
armantanzarian
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 62 econoline oickup

Hey All,

I'm thinking of getting a 62 econoline pick-up. Not that familar with the econolines or the ford 6's 1st question any good resources for resto parts? Secondly is a 170 inline the stock motor? Are they generally manula transmissions? Floor? Column? Easy to pull motors and trans from that location? Heat any good generally? The one I'm going to look at has a v-6 in it out of an early bronco. I can't recall any early bronco having a v-6 but that's what the guy had told me. Are the 170's easy to come by. Would a small block v-8 be the way to go with out getting too out of control?

Any advice would be great. Does anyone prefer A100's doubtful but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks
-b-

Old 10-18-2004, 06:35 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
welcome, and if you want something fun get that econo! in 62 the standard engine was still the 144 with the 170 as option. almost all were 3 speed, and there was a 4 speed option in a couple years. 64 was the first year for automatic. all were column shift. heat is so so, and can be great with a little work. as far as parts, macs has almost anything you need for an early econo, and some of the other site sponsors do too.
pulling motors is a little tricky, trans is straight forward from underneeth. parts are available from parts stores, but finding a parts man that can look at a book to get them is hard.[lol]! they are relatively easy to work on, simple construction makes them a fun truck to have.

Old 10-19-2004, 06:51 AM
armantanzarian
Freshman User
Thanks for the info Jim. I believe I might just pull the trigger and get that econoline. I did come across Macs in my online search for parts suppliers so I did order the econo parts book. So if all goes well and this one is as solid as the owner says it is I just may do it.

Thanks
-b-

Old 10-19-2004, 11:30 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
be ready for some questions first time you drive it around.

who cut the top offa that van?

wheres the motor at in that thing?

what is it?

is that a dodge?

people will laugh and point, dont take offense. it is nothing strange to come out of wallyworld and find 3-4 people looking it over. oldtimers will say, "i used to drive one of them in the service", or my grandpa had one of those when i was a kid.
i have had people ask for a ride, kinda fun whenyou pull back into the parking spot and hear em suck air! they are loads of fun to drive, get fantastic fuel mileage, { i get about 22 just running around}, and will fit in a compact parking space, { never figured that one out, but they do fit!].

Old 10-24-2004, 09:30 AM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up I have 3 trucks.

I bought my 1st one in 87 and still have it. Now trying to restore it. It came with a stock 170 engine. But someone put in a 200.
The motor had two cracks in it and drove for years before they became more serious.
They all came with a column shift. As far as I know none came with V8's til 67.
Yes it is fun to drive. The really fun part is that you seem to be driving faster in them when you see all that pavement zipping by the front end. reason is no hood.
I too use to get a lot of young people asking if I customized the truck. Even get thumbs up.
My other truck I got 2 years ago will get customized. I plan to chop it in half and find a decent van body and chop it also in half. My plan is to make the truck longer and use the front cargo door of the van as a back seat entrance. Make an econoline truck/van extened cab.

Maintenance is easy on these units and I got 20 miles a gal. with mine. Glass on these machines can be very expensive.
My 3rd truck was an accident write off. Lots of rust. But will be a good donor truck for my other two.
I you get that truck have fun, you will njoy it. My kids sure do.

Old 10-24-2004, 10:37 PM
cowkicker59
Freshman User
Jim;
I was wondering, (sometimes that's dangerous for me) about putting a 250 in my 63 econoline P/U and I was wondering if there is any changes I need to look out for. It has a 170 in it now I am told. I think I am going to keep this truck as original as possible. The only enhancements will be late model seats, and the paint color. Any of you guys have any tips for a beginner? Thanks!

Cowkicker59

Old 10-25-2004, 05:40 AM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
you can put a 250 in an earlie econo. you have to move the motor mount arms out about 5/8 in. on each side,the 63 trans will not work on the 250, {no clutch available for the big front shaft trans}, the bellhousing is a differant bolt pattern, the starter and brackets for accesories are differant, throttle linkage is differant, {wont interchange between the 144/170 and 250}. the worst part is the floors have been known to crack because of the extra torque on the motor mount arms.

anything can and has been done to earlies, and it is a very doable swap. just takes the right combination of parts and tinkering to get it to work.

email me and i will give you a detailed list of parts you will need to do it, {i have done it twice}.

Old 10-25-2004, 12:21 PM
cowkicker59
Freshman User
170/250 engine swap

Jim, maybe I am wrong but isn't the 250 an inline 6? And what trans have you subed in order to make this work? The stress factor on the frame is one reason I want to stay as original as possible. I live in a mountainous area and the extra horses will help with climbimbing the grades. Maybe I should just beef up the 170? I am sure these are silly questions but like I said I am just starting out. Thanks for the info!

Cowkicker59

Old 10-25-2004, 05:04 PM
Jimbare
all alone in the world
i think a 200 would be your best bet. it is a direct bolt in, has plenty of power, and still get good fuel mileage.

if you want to use the 250, and stay with the standard trans you will need a trans from an econo with a 240. unfortunatly they didnt use them till 65 and the mount is wrong. there is a man in california named eugene phillips that makes an adaptor to change the tranny over, then you just have to find a flywheel and matching bellhousing, all the clutch linkage, and drive shaft.

if you go automatic, you will need a rear section from a 64 automatic econo. this is a 1 year only part! or ,again, you can get the mount adaptor from california.

if you dont have a 9 in. rear end the 250 will eat the little rears up pretty quick.

my green pickup has a 170 with headers and will cruise at 60/65, uphill or down hill, in the mountains, or on flat ground. ithas all the power i need, and also gets between 20/25 miles per gallon.

Old 10-25-2004, 05:23 PM
cowkicker59
Freshman User
200 engine swap / 63 econ p/u

Jim;
Thanks for that info, I think I will go with the 200. Do you know , is there any problems with the three speed in that swap? And do you know what city this Eugene Phillips lives in? I am in Central California myself. Thanks,

cowkicker59