1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

What does XLT actually mean?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 01:08 AM
RangerTed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '94 2wd 2.3 5-speed Ranger XLT, but I'm totally in the dark as to what XLT extends to include.

I can't figure out why but it seems somebody swapped my radio for an Explorer's or something (I bought it used in '99), it doesn't have a clock (grrrrr....), so I don't know what the original sound in it was but if it in any way emulated the quality of the speakers it couldn't have been that impressive.

No A/C, no power windows, no power locks.

I think the rear sliding window *may be* the singular XLT-esque option (does a cargo lamp count??? I hope that's standard...)

I've definately been in '94 & '95 XLs that had more stuff than mine, what the heck? Is there a way to find out that kind of thing from Ford?

Ted

Old 12-14-2001, 07:31 PM
1995ranger
New User

i just bought a 1995 ranger xlt from a used dealer. he told me the xlt package when the truck came out cost an extra $600. when i asked him what xlt package was he said something about the carpet and cloth seats. im not sure how true this is but it's what he told me. do you have cloth seats in your truck?

Old 01-29-2002, 01:27 PM
aksniper
Senior User

Well I know I'm a little behind on answering your question here but to the best of my knowledge and some good friends, the XLT is a fancy way of saying its a bare-bone truck. In other words, almost nothing.

As one person said, cloth seats and the carpets cheaper instead of vinyl or leather or anything else. Plus like you stated, no A/C, no power anything. As far as the factory stereo that was in it, chances are it was an AM/FM, no tape or CD. I bought my '96 Ranger XLT (2.3L, 5-speed, 2x4, Reg. Cab) in '99 also and the previous owner put in a new stereo, put speakers in the back too but never took the time to hook them up so I'll have to get around to doing that sometime soon. But one thing I gotta give Ford credit for is no matter what kind of crappy stereo that toss in, its always had better reception than I've ever had in a Chevy or anything else.

So for a college student like myself, the XLT was cheap and perfect. Not to mention its great for if you wanna build it up some. The 2.3L is one of the more popular race engines so easy to find parts and rebuild if you want and run forever too.

Hope I've been some help to you about what the XLT is and sorry I'm so late at answering, just kind of new to the message board and still trying to help anyone I can and get a little help myself. Have a great day.

James

Old 01-30-2002, 06:27 PM
ranger99
Senior User

I don't have a clue at this point, however I know a couple of folks who work for Ford, I'll try to find out. I own (well the bank and I) a 99 Ranger XLT Flareside, I think part of it is carpeted floors, door panels have pockets in them and a little fancier. Mine has AM/FM/CD, air a very nice truck. Also I'll try to find out what XLT does mean
Bob

Old 01-30-2002, 09:11 PM
dodgewade
Cross-Country

I was always told it stands for "xtra luxury truck" ?

Old 01-30-2002, 11:10 PM
RangerBill
Junior User

>I was always told it stands for "xtra luxury truck" ?

Back in '71, the Ranger XLT was a trim level option on the F-series. The Ranger did not exist as a model in-and-of-itself until '83 (introduced in '82).

The XLT was Ford speak for "extra luxurious truck".

As a side-bar, the Explorer name also originated as an appearance package on the F-series as well. I am not certain of when that name debuted, but it was in place as an F-series option as late as 1986.

Old 01-30-2002, 11:27 PM
aksniper
Senior User

Well...I know the XLT is the cheapest Ranger I've seen available so I don't know what to say other than those things probably shot up your price tag. But I could be wrong. Have a great day.

James

Old 01-31-2002, 12:37 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Regarding the XLT, I have an '88 Bronco II XLT, it's the trim level that's right below the Eddie Bauer package. XLT is one of the upper most trim levels, above the XL. XLT usually had the cloth seats, carpeted door panels, more chrome (grilles, bumpers) and nicer trim appointments. I'm looking at a brochure for the '99 F-150 and the trim levels go like this: Work series, XL, XLT, and the Lariat package.

Old 02-02-2002, 10:32 AM
ranger99
Senior User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 02-Feb-02 AT 11:38 AM (EST)]I spoke to a Ford service manager at Montrose Ford. XLT actually means nothing as far as the initials go. Its just a package thing the XL package is a basic truck (I used a Ranger as an example because thats what I own). XL package has no goodies, vinyl floor and lucky to have seats . However, the XLT package has carpeted floors,fancier door panels with all the bells and whistles. This might help clear up what XLT means but if you need something else you could say Xtreme - Light - Truck that don't sound bad. Hope that clears that up. Also the XL package on a Ranger bases about 15 grand the XLT package bases about 19. Thanks Bob

Old 04-01-2002, 12:50 AM
ragnarock47
New User

Before my 2002 Ranger, and '99 Mustang, I had a '93 2.3l, 2wd, 5 speed, XLT.

Same deal Ted, no power anything, no A/C, other than an aftermarket head unit, all it had was the XLT package. Back then, the XLT gave what everyone has mentioned, plus better rear and front bumpers.

Howard

Old 04-02-2002, 11:37 AM
SR_71
New User

The XL model gives you a base truck like everyone has already pointed out (vinyl seats, vinyl floor, argent everything. Many options can be added to an XL to make it a nice truck (but without power windows and locks). The XLT MODEL only adds a nicer stereo (now including CD and 4 speakers), carpet, cloth seats, chrome bumpers and grill, different mirrors, different steel wheels, and a few other little things. The XLT CONVENIENCE PACKAGE adds things like power windows, power locks, aluminum wheels, and a few other fancy options. Many additional options can be added to the XLT model truck.

If you want to see how it all works, go to Ford's website, then to "Trucks" then to "Ranger" and "Build". This Build area will show you how you can start with a base truck (XL, XLT, or other) and add options to it. Some options are model specific and some options require other options to also be selected.

Old 04-02-2002, 08:46 PM
lford909
New User
Post What does XLT actually mean?!

i have a 91 ranger xlt and im pretty sure it stands for xtra large turd. no im just kidding, it has to do with the seats and carpet

Old 12-23-2002, 09:05 AM
Rockinpoppa
New User

I cant agree with XLT meaning bare bones truck, i have a 2000 XLT ranger, and it came with everything a person could want in extras, cloth seats rugs, cruise tilt, am-cd alarm,etc. rockinpoppa

Old 12-23-2002, 09:30 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>I cant agree with XLT meaning bare bones truck, i have a
>2000 XLT ranger, and it came with everything a person could
>want in extras, cloth seats rugs, cruise tilt, am-cd
>alarm,etc. rockinpoppa

I have an XL and it came with rubber floor mats, crank windows, and manual door locks.

INLINE SIX POWER! '95 F150 XL
300 Cubic Inches of Low RPM Truck Torque! And twin-I-beams too!
"Drive a stick young man! There'll be time for automatics when you're old and unable."

Old 12-23-2002, 01:47 PM
mrwizard
Posting Guru

I had an '88 Ranger Custom 2WD standard cab long bed. I think it was lower on the totem pole than even an XL. I think it was originally ordered as a fleet vehicle. If the light hit the doors just right, you could still make out where the decals had been for Sprint North Supply. Anyway, it was an interesting combination of low-end (rubber floor mats, manual locks and windows) and higher end (A/C, V6, auto, chrome front bumper) options. Besides, it was an interesting light yellow, almost pastel color that I haven't seen on any other Rangers, or any other vehicle for that matter. Oh well, it worked great for a work truck.

Quick Reply: What does XLT actually mean?!