Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2004, 05:24 PM
New User

rrsandifer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Harmonic Balancer Question

Hi all, I hope someone can help me out. I have a 97 Ford ranger 2.3L that i am trying to replace the timing belt. I have removed the harmonic blancer bolt and im trying to get the darn thing off. It looks as if the serpitine pully and the harmonic blancer assy is one piece. The only problem is there are no bolt holes in the pulley to pull the assy off. Can someone please give me some advice on this thanks and have a good day.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Elder User

kotzy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Aren't there 4 bolts going thru the serpintine pulley into the balancer??? These hold the
pulley on the cast balancer. You can then use a balancer puller into those holes.
Old 10-16-2004, 06:26 PM
New User

Hi,The only bolt is the center bolt that holds the whole assy on. Inside the serpitine pully it is tapered. NO other bolt holes to be found inside.
Old 10-18-2004, 04:55 PM
Senior User

FordF150Fixer is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rrsadiler; I recently had the same problem with my '96 2.3. Several forum users kept advising me that the damper had tapped holes and to use a regular damper puller. Like yours, mine does not have any holes other than the large one in the center. I went to Sears and bought a gear puller. Sears sells several sizes of gear pullers. You will need the large one. I think it handles up to eight inch gears. The large puller was able to grasp the outer edge of the damper. The good part is that it didn't take much pressure from the puller before the damper/pulley popped right off the shaft. The bad part is that you may have to pull the radiator because of the length of the puller bolt.

Good Luck, hope this helps
Old 10-18-2004, 05:01 PM
Senior User

hotrodfeguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just use two pry bars and wiggle it off.Unless they are really rusted on they come right off.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:25 PM
New User

Thanks fellows, I went down and bought a six inch gear puller and it came right off. Keep them motors running.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:07 PM
New User

moochy1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Damper pulley

Ford has a special puller for these no bolt dampers 150.00 plus tax, I hope this works for me. I sure heck will give it a try thanks Guys I had just about purchased that exspensive bolt and nut looking tool. Thanks again to all
Old 05-30-2005, 08:27 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome moochy1, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 05-30-2005, 08:27 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > 4 Cylinder Engines

Tags
23, 73, 97, balancer, diesel, engine, excursion, ford, harmomic, harmonic, plow, pull, puller, pulley, ranger, remove