View Poll Results: Propane or Nitrous???
Pane
100.00%
Nitro
0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Propane versus Nitrous Oxide

Old 04-05-2005, 10:53 AM
edub32
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane versus Nitrous Oxide

I'm looking to add either Propane injection or Nitrous Oxide to my PSD..I don't know much about propane but I do know how well Nitrous works on gassers. Which would make the most power on a diesel..Nitrous or Propane?? Also do you need a special nitrous kit for a diesel or can you use just any Nitrous kit?? I'm asking this because I noticed that the Bullydog Nitrous specially for diesels was much more expensive then a Nitrous Express Kit...
Thanks

Old 04-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Max1775
Elder User
I'd go propane! Unless you're ready for drag racing, propane will give you as much power as you need and do it safely. We are doing some testing with it now, and the results have been impressive. It is also cheaper than NOS and easier to find.

Max

Old 04-05-2005, 02:42 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
I second that. Propane can give you 100 RWHP. It burns the diesel much more efficiently. You can gain 2-3 MPG's if you're not rompin on it constantly. See if you can get Quadzilla to chime in. He knows his shizznit when it comes to that.... well that and pretty much everything else. The Powershot 2000 system can be set to increase the propane as the boost increases.

Old 04-05-2005, 04:25 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would go Pane also, Nitrous is mostly used to counter act the poor heads on these motors, they can't breath enough. The nitrous is basicaly adding more "air" with the oxygen thats in it, to Efficiently use nitouse you will need massive amounts of fuel, which would require a chip and injectors.

For now I would get the 'Pane.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-06-2005, 10:09 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Not to get off the subject to much but what about water/meth injection? I've got a powershot 2000 kit but I don't have a tank. Where do you buy a tank for propane? I want to put it under the pickup. Anyway, my wife is having a fit about me wanting to use propane so that is why I asked about the water/meth injection. I know she wouldn't mine that. edub32, maybe if my wife won't go for pane I'll sell you mine.

Old 04-06-2005, 10:30 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Cookie 88 in the resident water/meth injection expert.

My thoughts, and reason I will use water is to control EGT's, the water wont add much HP, it may add a lil boost from the higher drive preasures on the turbo but i dont see it being much. The meth is used as extra fuel, will gain some more HP but if your after HP get the propane. its very safe when used sanely' "Note SANELY, not INSANLY."

Quad had a set of mounts fabbed up to mount a DOT approved tank under his box, the tank with my kit had mounts welded onto it, and it mounts in the bed. A forklift tank will work, just have to get some brackets to mounts it in the bed.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-07-2005, 04:54 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
Propane is fuel, nitrous is air. You obviously need both to run your truck, but you need more fuel first, so I voted for propane. Another advantage of propane is that you can easily carry enough with you to avoid refilling very often. With either nitrous or water/meth, you're only using the stuff for short periods, and you're constantly refilling your tank.
If you're looking for a tank, contact Dale Isley at TYMAR. He sells Manchester tanks, and made my custom brackets for mounting mine under the truck here.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:38 AM
Fordafied
Senior User
Another thing to consider, I see your truck is a 01, I "believe" the cut off year for the stock forged push rods were mid to late 2000. You may want to upgrade the rods also if you are looking to run either one. Just another thought.

Old 04-07-2005, 06:43 AM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,967 Likes on 1,105 Posts
Go propane first. Nitrous oxide requires LOTS of additional fuel to work effectively. Unless you are seriously overfueling, you won't notice anything with N2O.

Cody

Old 04-07-2005, 05:44 PM
edub32
Posting Guru
Well I now know that propane provides the fuel and the nitrous provides the extra air and I want to get propane next...however, would it be safe to run both propane injection and nitrous oxide ?? or would I need to upgrade my engine internals???

Old 04-08-2005, 04:42 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
The normal progression would be to get your foundation in place, which would include intake, exhaust, chip, and gauges. After that you'd typically add propane, and then nitrous. Nitrous is typically for short bursts of power, like drag racing or running on a dyno. If you went far enough to replace your injectors to allow massive amounts of fuel, then you'd likely need to replace internal pieces.

Old 04-08-2005, 12:14 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
If you're wife is worried about the dangers of propane, your tank of diesel is more volitile than the tank of propane.

Old 04-08-2005, 03:40 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Propane is the way to go.
Think seriously about a vapor Phase system as opposed to a Liquid Phase system, basically safer for your engine.
Here is the URL for Powershot 2000, a vapor phase system. If the link doesnt work just copy and paste.
http://www.dieselperformanceproducts.com/home.html

Old 04-08-2005, 07:32 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Now I've got a question. buddy of mine was back from ND and we were at his cousinds shop in WC and he has a Propane kit on his D*dge. He wants to sell it and we got talking about propane and he said that the vapor systems are harder to regulate then the liquid ones, and that a liquid system is far superior.. I just looked at him like, Huh . An acetaline torch regulator can regulate gas just fine, how is a propane regulator any different.

I would rather have a vapor system, but honestly now, other then the vapor VS liquid systems whats the difference. Safety, reliability, easy of usage. plumbing???

Just trying to get the conversation going.

Diesel Rod

Old 04-08-2005, 11:39 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Saftey is a big issue because a single drop of liquid propane can destroy an engine.
As to regulation Vapor Phase systems are infinetly easier to regulate. The Powershot 2000 system provides a proportional ramping up effect, as boost increases so does propane flow, liquid phase systems that do not increase flow proportionally rather they increase incrementally, they have multiple jets that come into play as boost passes thru specified trigger points another jet comes into play each jet functions at a constant flow rate, instead of a smooth ramped progression you get a stair step progression in propane flow.
Installation of my Powershot was very easy the biggest problem was mounting the tank but that problem is shared by both vapor and liquid systems. If you choose to mount the control switches in your dash, as I did, that also increases the difficulty of installation. Doing that was a matter of personal preference I just didnt want to use the supplied mounting bracket.

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 04-08-2005 at 11:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Propane versus Nitrous Oxide