Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Other Ford Engines > Flathead V8 & Flathead 6
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2004, 09:09 PM
Postmaster

scottie2hottie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Question Wanna learn about flatheads....

I do not own a flathead now, but would like to someday. For now, I'll have to take gratification in just "knowing" about them...So, enlighten me. What is different other than the valve housing is part of the block? Speaking...how do you get to the valves? Use a 239 for example, as they're the most common and probably what I would own. How does the valve train work specifically? Is the bottom end the same as an OHV motor(crank, rods, pistons, etc)? Do they have onboard mechanical fuel pumps like later engines? What drives the oil pump? Anything you know, spill it unto me!

Thanks guys!
Scott
Proud to be an OHIO BOY
Old 10-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Post Fiend

4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all4tl8ford is a name known to all
http://www.fordbarn.com/earlyv8/forum03/
http://groups.msn.com/FordFlathead19...3/messageboard
On the MSN Site follow the links on the left side for additional info
1952 Ford F2x2 (Non-Stock Flat 6)
1997 Ford Explorer
Every Thing I've Ever Said Is A Lie
Old 10-14-2004, 12:07 AM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
Spend some time on this site too. Pictures are worth a thousand words.........

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_home.htm

Basically they're the same as ohv engines, except the valve train which has no pushrods or rocker arms - the valve stem/lifter/cam are in direct contact. Gear on the rear of the cam runs the oil pump.
Old 10-14-2004, 05:23 PM
Postmaster

scottie2hottie is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
How does the exhaust go about getting to the side of the engine? Especially with the valve being on the inside...I'm just not seeing it....
Scott
Proud to be an OHIO BOY
Old 10-14-2004, 06:31 PM
Post Fiend

mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.mtflat has a good reputation on FTE.
You almost have to see one to figure it out, and then you'll go.......duh!

The exhaust drops below the valve through a passage in the waterjacket and out the exhaust manifold. The two middle ones use the same port which confuses a lot of people when they see 8 spark plugs and only 6 exhaust tubes.

Routing the exhaust thru the water jacket is one of the reasons flatheads are prone to overheating IF the engine and radiators aren't clean and timing isn't kept on the mark.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Senior User

Loan Ranger is starting off with a positive reputation.
Go to www.store.yahoo.com/motorbooks/index and click on engine manuals. They have a really great book on the Flathead Ford engines! It is lavishly illustrated, including flow diagrams of the incoming fuel/air mixture and the exhaust gases as well!
It is really a great book, Scottie!
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 PM
Freshman User

nailhead is starting off with a positive reputation.
Swing by your local Barne's and Noble.
Tex Smith's Complete Ford Flathead V8 Engine Manual is excellent,under $20, it covers the evolution of the flatty and modifications for hot rodders. Very good detail drawings of how they work too. Basically everything you would need to know.

It makes a good coffee table book.

Camburg long travel front, custom rear.

'35 pickup, '39 passenger suspension and juice brakes, '48 flatty.
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05 PM