Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Senior User

1BDTrk is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Exclamation RUT ROH... now what...

I just read this morning about the '05 torque #'s for the GM Duramax, and Dodge Cummins.

We already knew the Powerstroke was bumped up to 570 ft-lbs,
GM Duramax is supposed to be 605 ft-lbs
Dodge Cummins bumped again to 610 ft lbs.

Since torque is what puts the wheels in motion... its gonna be a nice road test when I see a new'er' Dura or Cummins tryin' to pull up next to me.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Junior User

ChevyRacing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thats cool but i wish they increase the RPM a little on both engines so it would keep you at the speed you want but mostly torque is what you really need in hauling the heavy loads so thats a plus +. You dont want to much RPM or you would end up with a stranded blown engine.
Old 10-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Senior User

Budly is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
i wonder what output is at rear wheels (if FordLariat chimes in on this one i am gonna shoot my computer screen!!)
Old 10-13-2004, 04:55 PM
Posting Guru

FordLariat is starting off with a positive reputation.
Please do, sir, you might learn some responsibility when you have to work to pay daddy back for the one you shoot.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:37 PM
Senior User

DieselDonor7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BDTrk
I just read this morning about the '05 torque #'s for the GM Duramax, and Dodge Cummins.

We already knew the Powerstroke was bumped up to 570 ft-lbs,
GM Duramax is supposed to be 605 ft-lbs
Dodge Cummins bumped again to 610 ft lbs.

Since torque is what puts the wheels in motion... its gonna be a nice road test when I see a new'er' Dura or Cummins tryin' to pull up next to me.
Well if Marine Ironman were here to debate this one, he would tell you that the torque rating doesn't matter when you don't have the state of the art torqshift transmission behind it. Since it doesn't produce any parasitic losses and has the correct gearing to actually put torque to use.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Senior User

He was nothing more than a smooth talking fool who liked to use numbers. The only thing he didnt realize is that things in real life dont work like they do on paper. That was his major flaw.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Postmaster

superrangerman2002 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budly
He was nothing more than a smooth talking fool who liked to use numbers. The only thing he didnt realize is that things in real life dont work like they do on paper. That was his major flaw.

hmmm

Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me...
Old 10-13-2004, 07:45 PM
Senior User

You got it backwards. The only numbers i believe in are flywheel specs, other than that i get ALL my info from real life use, and not assumptions.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:01 PM
Junior User

Cirdan49 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sick of it

I can hear the chains coming right now. Better act nice guys or Timmy is going to eat this one alive.

All I can say is there is enough power in these things to tow a house. Look at some medium duty trucks and they don't even have/need that much power. Yes numbers are nice to back your butt up with but if the vehicle can't handle it then what's the use? In the logic of some of you guys saying that if you have the engine power you can tow it. I call full BS on that one. That would be like saying I could slap a 302 with 400 tq /400 hp on my ranger and tow 10k. All I can say is get your minds off of the numbers and start putting them in the big picture. I could have gotten a Dodge with a 4.7 and had gobs more torque than my 4.0. Why didn't I? Because a compact truck in my mind shouldn't haul over 5k pounds. That is about where I feel comfortable with my truck. We're entering an age when all sensibility is lost in vehicle quality and all emphasis is put on those damned numbers. I for one am sick of it.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:03 PM
Posting Legend

Torque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to beholdTorque1st is a splendid one to behold
Cool it with the personal remarks
Old 10-13-2004, 10:12 PM
FTE Administrator

Carlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputationCarlene has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan49
I can hear the chains coming right now. Better act nice guys or Timmy is going to eat this one alive.
Actually, I'm more of a threat than Tim. He's much more lenient than I am and he even gives you more of a heads up to cool it than I do. Me, I just lurk around, watch and delete rather than posting. I do try to email or PM users but rarely get a reply. They just disappear for awhile and the come back with the same bad attitude.

If you tip this Forums guidelines so many times that I notice - you're gone - no questions asked. There's a couple that are on real thin ice right now.............................

Be nice and as Torque1st said - Cool it with the personal remarks.

FTE Guidelines
Check out the Florida Chapter
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 PM
Senior User

PowerStroke King is starting off with a positive reputation.
IMO the Marine Ironman would pick the GM Duramax at 605 ft-lbs to be giving the 570 PSD a run for its money .... about a tie .... and that the GM Duramax really needs about 50 more ft-lbs of sustained torque margin, at which point it becomes a clear winner over the PSD.
1968 Galaxy
1969 Galaxy 500
1970 Maverick
1973 Gran Torino
1979 Crown Victoria
2001 Windstar Ltd
2004 Freestar Ltd
2004 PSD/6.0L X
Old 10-13-2004, 10:47 PM
Post Fiend

BigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputationBigF350 has a superb reputation
adrian.erks.harris adrianerksharris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirdan49
We're entering an age when all sensibility is lost in vehicle quality and all emphasis is put on those damned numbers. I for one am sick of it.
I for 2 agree...
Darn Marketing...
Old 10-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Junior User

ChevyRacing is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerStroke King
IMO the Marine Ironman would pick the GM Duramax at 605 ft-lbs to be giving the 570 PSD a run for its money .... about a tie .... and that the GM Duramax really needs about 50 more ft-lbs of sustained torque margin, at which point it becomes a clear winner over the PSD.
Hell im just glad that the torque diesel wars isnt over yet. Gotta keep the customers happy
Old 10-14-2004, 06:10 AM
Site Administrator

IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlene
Actually, I'm more of a threat than Tim. He's much more lenient than I am and he even gives you more of a heads up to cool it than I do. Me, I just lurk around, watch and delete rather than posting. I do try to email or PM users but rarely get a reply. They just disappear for awhile and the come back with the same bad attitude.

If you tip this Forums guidelines so many times that I notice - you're gone - no questions asked. There's a couple that are on real thin ice right now.............................

Be nice and as Torque1st said - Cool it with the personal remarks.
A pair of bookends....
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

When you are down...look up...get up...and don't ever give up....
Old 10-14-2004, 06:10 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Ford vs The Competition