6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Turbo backfire?? Trans downshift harsh ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM
Paxdad
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Turbo backfire?? Trans downshift harsh ?

On a recent trip from GA to Okla several weeks ago I experienced what I would describe as a back fire from the turbo. Long story short I discovered that the hard plastic tube from the air filter to the intake manifold had blown off causing an almost full loss of power. The tube aparently blew off with enough force to put two nice indentions on the underside of my hood and visibly noticable from the outside. I replaced the tube and retorqued the clamp to the spec on the hard plastic tube shell and proceeded on our trip however, noticed a 2mpg decrease. At the time of incident we were making an uphill climb outside of Chattanooga, TN on I-24. The transmission had just shifted out of OD and all of a sudden POW! No power lots of black smoke out of exhaust. I had to proceed on up the hill pulling my 30 ft SUT until I could find a safe shoulder to pull over to and call Ford Roadside Assistance thinking that the turbo had blown. Can anyone give me some assistance before I take it to the dealer on what happened and what needs to be corrected. My truck is an 04 F250 4x4 cc with the 6.0 PSD with 18,000 miles.
On my return trip back to GA i noticed that the downshift from 2nd to first while in tow/haul is now very hard any advise on this as well is welcome.
thanks

Old 10-12-2004, 11:56 AM
RealMenPowerstroke!
Senior User
Originally Posted by Paxdad
On a recent trip from GA to Okla several weeks ago I experienced what I would describe as a back fire from the turbo. Long story short I discovered that the hard plastic tube from the air filter to the intake manifold had blown off causing an almost full loss of power. The tube aparently blew off with enough force to put two nice indentions on the underside of my hood and visibly noticable from the outside. I replaced the tube and retorqued the clamp to the spec on the hard plastic tube shell and proceeded on our trip however, noticed a 2mpg decrease. At the time of incident we were making an uphill climb outside of Chattanooga, TN on I-24. The transmission had just shifted out of OD and all of a sudden POW! No power lots of black smoke out of exhaust. I had to proceed on up the hill pulling my 30 ft SUT until I could find a safe shoulder to pull over to and call Ford Roadside Assistance thinking that the turbo had blown. Can anyone give me some assistance before I take it to the dealer on what happened and what needs to be corrected. My truck is an 04 F250 4x4 cc with the 6.0 PSD with 18,000 miles.
On my return trip back to GA i noticed that the downshift from 2nd to first while in tow/haul is now very hard any advise on this as well is welcome.
thanks
As far as the harsh down shift there is acutally a bulletin for this of which your dealer should know about. I can't comment on the rest, but I would sure tell them to fix the dents from the blown off pipe. Since that damage was caused by part failure it should be covered under your warranty.

Best of Luck,
Corey

Old 10-12-2004, 03:27 PM
SBV45
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Paxdad
thanks
The intercooler hose blow off is a known problem. Cleaning it off real good and putting it back on is ok. Did it split? A small split in the hose will bleed off some boost and cause that problem. Here is the bulletin:

Intercooler Hose Blow-Off:
If one of the hot side intercooler hoses blow off it will cause the truck to exhibit a low power/low boost condition. To service, replace the hot side intercooler pipe/hose assembly. Clean the hose mating surfaces to ensure the hoses will stay in place. Seat the hoeses completely onto their mounting surfaces before tightening the clamps to 9 ft/lbs. Test drive the truck while monitoring the boost pressures, which should be 22-25 PSI. An overboost condition will cause the hose to blow off. Broadcast Message 1099.
Single alternator trucks: 4C3Z-6C646-BA
Dual alternator trucks: 4C3Z-6C646-CA.
On 2004 trucks that exhibit the cold side hose/pipe blowing off at the intake manifold, this may be due to the clamp being under torqued or damaged. Clean the outside of the intake manifold inlet and the inside of the hose or pipe. Inspect the clamp, and if it is damaged, replace it (trucks built from 12-15-03 to 4-1-04, P/N 4C3Z-6F081-AA; built after 4-1-04, P/N 1C3Z-6K786-BA). Seat the hose/pipe onto the intake manifold and torque the clamp (6 ft/lbs 12-15-03 to 4-1-04; 9 ft/lbs after 4-1-04). Broadcast Message 1329. Rear Main Seal Leak:
Some trucks with the 6.0 may exhibit what looks like an oil leak from the bellhousing, presumably for the rear main seal. This actually may be excessive grease from the torque converter pilot melting and runing out of the bellhousing. It is recommended that 3 ounces of florescent dye be added to the oil, the truck driven, then the leak inspected with an UV lamp. If dye is detected, the engine should be inspected for leaks on top that may be running down the back of the engine. If no upper leaks are detected, replace the rear main seal. Broadcast Message 1017

Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
swkster
New User
My truck has this same problem!!!!!!

I know this is a very old post but dose anybody know how this problem was fixed. My truck is a 2004 superduty 6.0 king ranch. Ive had it about a year it works fine if you are not towing but when I tow my 5TH wheel ( about 10,000 lbs ) it dont pull very well. Its ok on flat ground but when I have to pull a long grade it will start making a cycling whining noise and loose power topping hills at 45 mph foot to the floor. I have had it to the dealer and they replaced the head gaskets and head bolts. Now it has a little more power and dont loose coolent but still the same thing whining noise and no power. My last camping trip I heard a loud pop under the hood but couldnt locate anything took it out again and had the pop and she went down lots of smoke and no power top the hill 10 mph. Back to the dealer for repairs they said it blew the Charge air cooler so they replaced it. Now Im back to the same problem whining no power on long grades and less $4000 for repairs. Got any ideas.

Old 08-08-2010, 05:43 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
look for intake and exhaust leaks. suspect cracked y-pipe or hole in intercooler boot

Old 08-08-2010, 08:02 PM
swkster
New User
Same problem

Thanks for the reply help me understand what blew the charge air cooler
can a leak cause that some how.

Im afraid it will blow it again if I pull my camper because it has the same problems as before. the loud popping sound happens when I am hard on the gas not letting off.

The dealer told me they checked all of that when they changed the cooler I did check it my self and didnt find anything.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:05 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

the poping sound is really turbo flutter and is normal to some extent as the design did not incorperate a wase gate.

if none of the boots are damaged and you have no exhaust leak I would then suspect a sticking turbo as a possible cause.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:17 PM
swkster
New User
Popping sound??????

The pop was so loud we had to stop and clean our pants. Surely this isnt normal. We thought the motor exploded. I was so shocked the motor was still running. I have only head this pop twice both in the last two weeks.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:53 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

go on to you tube and check for turbo fart. there are some vids of that. lets see if thats what you mean.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:54 PM
swkster
New User
Not even close.

Checked out a few no this was loud blew the charge air cooler apart.
I guess I mean a boom not pop.

Old 08-08-2010, 09:58 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

ok so I can rule that one out. If I was the tech on your truck I would suggest tearing into the turbo and seeing what it looks like based only on the fact that the cac failed. I have only seen a few blow apart by the way. The ones I have seen were all from over boost. Yes that will make a really loud bang. As well as force an over fuel condition wich will make black smoke dump from the tail pipe.

Old 08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
swkster
New User
youtube videos

After watching these videos I think your right I have a turbo problem.
I never hear much of a turbo whistle even under load.
The truck runs pretty good by itself though.
Im going to the dealer tomorrow with camper in tow to let them see what
its doing under load.
It wont do anything noticable by its self.
They say they cant find anything wrong after replacing the cooler. $600
Thats what they said after the head gasket replacment too. $3000
Hope I dont blow another cooler.
Thanks alot for your input will post a solution if and when we find one.
What do you think of the 2011 ford superduty truck thats my other option if I can find enough money?
(sell home maybe)

Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

there are no bets on what they will find in the turbo but that is the best place to start imo.
the more load the more boost so the easer it is to get a turbo to act up.

so far as the 2011 goes Ive worked on one for something stupid. They have been good so far.
The 6.4 has been keeping me going though.